Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 25 Nov 2006, 09:39 (Ref:1774631)   #76
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can,t get used to the taste of Octane booster. I do know that "Speed "is a quite commonnly used enhancer to driver performance, but if these driver,s can only produce the lap times under the influence,why do they bother.
Old 25 Nov 2006, 10:24 (Ref:1774653)   #77
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed, the laisse faire attitude to drugs in sport. The problem is, we don't know the effects. Like any other performance tweak, any knowledge is Top Secret, unlike the usual reports of medical research and cannot include any long term assessement.

As an example, even pro race drivers have been monitored with heart rates well above 180bpm, under the stress of competition. Good training will reduce that, and the resting heart rate to less than 40 in a athlete. So will betablockers. The trained heart can cope, but even so it is a less efficient pump at such high rates.
So which is better for motorsport performance - workout in a gym every day and run six miles, or pop a blocker? I don't know, nor do I know which is healthier in the long run. Beta blockers do prolong life after you have had your heart attack, but stopping them can precipitate one.

The ill effects of, for instance, steroids, are well known - the strange 'female' weight lifters from East Germany for instance, the phenomenal Chinese and Canadian sprinters. When some of the effects either short or long term are unknown, powerful drugs should only be used for applications where they are known.

John

John
Old 25 Nov 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1774748)   #78
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But not including class"A".
Old 25 Nov 2006, 23:51 (Ref:1774965)   #79
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Pete I Have Been Tested For Drugs And Drink Several Times Over The Years At Different Tracks I Wonder Why , I Am The Epitome Of A Clean Living Bible Thumping Person Ar"nt I !!
Old 29 Nov 2006, 22:03 (Ref:1778122)   #80
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I had my medical today. Got 2 (MSA/HGV) for fifty quid. Bar-gin :-) Good part is, the HGV one should be tax-deductable for me, and the receipt says "HGV Medical" withou mentioning MSA :-)
Old 30 Nov 2006, 08:20 (Ref:1778334)   #81
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Anyone here working for Inland Revenue?? Watched the news this morning,there was apiece about how much Doctors pay has gone up,they now average £100,000+ Out of the two choices ,I chose to bugger around with car,s.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1778550)   #82
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes Terence, certainly regret I can't stand the sight of blood. Mind you, I'm glad that anyone poking around with my health is well-qualified and well-paid.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 18:54 (Ref:1778927)   #83
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman
Yes Terence, certainly regret I can't stand the sight of blood. Mind you, I'm glad that anyone poking around with my health is well-qualified and well-paid.
Absolutly agree,someone asked the question the other day.The Medical Proffesion have been underpaid for quite some time,bot it would be even better if the pay structure spread to Nurse,s as well:
Old 1 Dec 2006, 10:55 (Ref:1779390)   #84
steveng
Racer

England
Beverley East Yorkshire
steveng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My junior doctors earn the same as the more senior nurses. Hour for hour they earn considerably less than many nurses.
Public perception is that nurses are 'Angels' (many are, some are not) and underpaid. Well in comparison to the young doctors who work for and with me I would disagree.
I have nothing against nurses, an excellent bunch and I speak as one who has enjoyed their company all my working life. They have wonderful PR for sure.
It's funny that however old and knackered I get they seem to stay twenty five, it's tough work but someone has got to do it.......
Old 1 Dec 2006, 14:05 (Ref:1779507)   #85
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I've just had my medical and I was charged £45 which I thought was very good value.
Old 1 Dec 2006, 17:01 (Ref:1779666)   #86
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
who did you get to do it for that price Tim.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 1 Dec 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1779681)   #87
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce
who did you get to do it for that price Tim.
My doctor, but I said I would MOT his car at trade price next time
Old 6 Dec 2006, 08:45 (Ref:1783106)   #88
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good deal, need to get one too...!

When filling out Sam's renewal form for him was suprised to see how much express handling is....and not happy at having to pay £46 just for the form (for me) when we've got all the info already as he's a license holder!
Old 29 Dec 2006, 11:51 (Ref:1801100)   #89
Greystone
Rookie

Greystone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone recommend a motor sport friendly doctor in the North West Kent / South East London area for the race licence medical?

My own GP’s practise is being very unhelpful. They will do it, but at their convenience. That is at a time which means I have to take half a day off work, for which as a freelance IT consultant I won’t get paid. Also they want to charge me over £100 for the privilege. Like most organisations in the public sector they don’t seem to have grasped the concept that if someone is paying you to do something then you owe them some service.

If anyone can recommend a doctor who will do medicals at a reasonable rate and more importantly at a convenient time then please let me know.

Andrew Cherry
Old 29 Dec 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1801106)   #90
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Andrew, have you tried phoning around a few different doctors or even one of the new private medical centres that are springing up? There used to be one near me in Eltham but that has shut due to the premises being redeveloped.
Alternatively, if you are at the Autosport show you can pre book a medical there.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 14:02 (Ref:1801207)   #91
midgetman
Veteran

>>>>>>>>They will do it, but at their convenience

Can't say as I'm surprised. Difficult call, which is more important: sick people or healthy people wanting a medical? Makes me glad I live in a rural area where services aren't overwhelmed by sheer numbers.

On another tack - has anyone actually received their licence yet? I received an email to say it's being processed but that's the last I heard. I'm having problems logging on to the MSA web site again!!!!!!
Old 29 Dec 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1801263)   #92
cannardd
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
cannardd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
On another tack - has anyone actually received their licence yet? I received an email to say it's being processed but that's the last I heard. I'm having problems logging on to the MSA web site again!!!!!!
Yep, got my licence 2-3 weeks ago...
Old 29 Dec 2006, 15:09 (Ref:1801271)   #93
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
>>>>>>>>They will do it, but at their convenience

Can't say as I'm surprised. Difficult call, which is more important: sick people or healthy people wanting a medical? Makes me glad I live in a rural area where services aren't overwhelmed by sheer numbers.

Mine's being processed...........for the last 2 weeks. MSA website was working as well as it ever does when I went on a couple of hours ago, it's still being processed, read, we wont be back at work until next year
Old 29 Dec 2006, 17:20 (Ref:1801352)   #94
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Greystone,
How much do you charge per hour for supplying your skill and expertise?

John
Old 29 Dec 2006, 22:58 (Ref:1801532)   #95
midgetman
Veteran

>>>>>>>>>I'm having problems logging on to the MSA web site again!!!!!!

Sorry, didn't mean to imply I was blaming the MSA this time, it's the idiot at the keyboard at fault.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 16:02 (Ref:1802272)   #96
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone can recommend a doctor who will do medicals at a reasonable rate and more importantly at a convenient time then please let me know.

Andrew Cherry[/quote]

CSCC has a doctor booked to do licence medicals at Mallory Park on our Track & Test Day, Tuesday 27th March (just after the Race Retro weekend)

We may also have a "portable" rolling road,
Contact Richard Culverhouse at CSCC HQ for info (08700 427108)

That's when I'll get mine done
Old 31 Dec 2006, 16:28 (Ref:1802287)   #97
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Got mine booked with my own GP for end of Jan. No ECG required this year so it'll probably cost me £80.00 but as he's my doctor and we need a surgery in the village I won't begrudge the cost.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 16:32 (Ref:1802294)   #98
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Good deal, need to get one too...!

When filling out Sam's renewal form for him was suprised to see how much express handling is....and not happy at having to pay £46 just for the form (for me) when we've got all the info already as he's a license holder!
Just a question or two. Why does anyone need express handling, there's nothing happening for at least a month?

Next, don't you need the "getting started" pack to go with your ARDS application?

Third, £46.00 to spend on your hobby doesn't sound like much to me. Especially as the actual cost of racing could eat that 100's of times over in the first year!
Old 31 Dec 2006, 18:58 (Ref:1802427)   #99
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Have you actually done your ARDS yet? As someone else has said, I'm fairly sure that at the end of, say, a Jim Russell course, you get the licence as part of the deal.

Are you sure that Sam is a license holder? He must be the only one in the UK!
Old 31 Dec 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1802480)   #100
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peter - no idea why anyone would need express handling.

Peter - yes you do, have that bar the form which needs completing - see other thread in this forum.

strider - seem to keep calling it the wrong thing, you know what I mean, sorry Cannot do ARDS without having this form, most likely to do at Mallory as spoke to them this week for available dates and closest to home.

Peter - £46 isn't much to spend on a hobby - but when you're starting out and you have all the other costs to think of, it all mounts up....