Old 1 Feb 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1214617)   #1
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newman-Haas Vs. RuSport?

Hi all,
I only started to really pay an interest in Champ Car last year when Justin Wilson moved from Formula-1 to MiJack. I then met him at last years Goodwood Festival of Speed (top bloke) and this heightened my interest further. Anyway...how much of a challenge do you think Wilson and Allmendinger will pose to Newman-Haas this year what with the budget and experience defecit between the two?
Old 1 Feb 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1214629)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not very much, to be honest. Initially Newman-Haas will simply be too strong, although I'm sure RuSport will win at least one race. AJ has an advantage over Justin within the team, as it moved into ChampCars purely to create a drive for him (they only added their second car in 2004 at the last minute, remember), so Justin will be doing well to match him, although I'd regard him as equally-talented.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1214631)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
RuSPORT could do very well. If you think about it, given drivers and budgets, Newman-Haas have in some ways underperformed over the past twenty years. Allmendinger/Wilson is a good line-up (though Bourdais might be a shade quicker than either of them); much may come down to consistency, as so often the way in Champ Cars.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 16:40 (Ref:1214752)   #4
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a tough call. RuSport defied all expectations last year, will they make a big jump forward in performance? If so they have a chance against NH. Look at teams like Herdez, Rocketsports and PKV. In 2003 they were pretty competitive and I think a lot of people were expecting them to perform at the top in 2004. That didn't really happen. I mention that as a suggestion that it may not be easy to advance a team's standing.

One thing that goes in everyone's favor is that there should be broader based competition to NH. Even if NH is always at the top, if each weekend a couple of drivers have "surprised" performances, it could mean that they are competition to NH that weekend. I think there's reason to suspect all the teams of this, with the possible exceptions of Conquest, Walker and Coyne. Even among those teams there are possibilities. Last year we saw Wilson up front a couple of times, Walker has a good history and they were pretty successful with Manning in 2003 and obviously Servia had some good showings last year.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 17:41 (Ref:1214785)   #5
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
It's a tough call. RuSport defied all expectations last year, will they make a big jump forward in performance? If so they have a chance against NH. Look at teams like Herdez, Rocketsports and PKV. In 2003 they were pretty competitive and I think a lot of people were expecting them to perform at the top in 2004. That didn't really happen. I mention that as a suggestion that it may not be easy to advance a team's standing.
Hmmm...I never thought any of those teams would perform at the top in 2004.

I do think that Rusport will be a formidable opponent this year though. Both of their drivers now know all the tracks, and Rusport is prepared to run 2 cars from the start, not as a last minute thing like last year. I think Allmendinger suffered a bit last year having a teammate added at the last minute. Also, I don't know the actual budgets betweeen NHR and Rusport, but I would doubt that there is a big difference. Carl Russo is a VERY successful man.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1214816)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think RuSport will be the main challenger, along with Paul Tracy, but there's no reason to think the Newman-Haas/Bourdais combination won't be too strong for everyone again.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 19:03 (Ref:1214874)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can see the top 10 beign something like:

1 Bourdais
2 Junquiera
3 Tracy
4 Allmendinger
5 da Matta
6 Dominguez (if he remains, which looks 80% likely to me)
7 Tagliani
8 Wilson
9 Vasser
10 Hunter Reay

But it's a fairly tough call.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1214999)   #8
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjspierx
Hmmm...I never thought any of those teams would perform at the top in 2004.
What can I say? You didn't think Herdez and Rocketsports would get closer to NH when they were already knocking on the door? Perhaps I overstated on PKV, but I don't think anyone expected them to get worse, rather than better, particularly after Salo's podium finish.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 22:09 (Ref:1215016)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
PKV did get better in reality, considering that Jimmy had a solid top-10 season. They did well enough to lure a former champion in, and that says something? And Rocketsports got a lot closer, especially in the first half of the season. And both Herdez drivers won races for the first time ever.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 22:22 (Ref:1215028)   #10
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
PKV did get better in reality, considering that Jimmy had a solid top-10 season. They did well enough to lure a former champion in, and that says something? And Rocketsports got a lot closer, especially in the first half of the season. And both Herdez drivers won races for the first time ever.
Not quite...technically Mario won in Australia in 2002, and RHR won in Australia in 2003.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 10:05 (Ref:1215328)   #11
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjspierx
I think Allmendinger suffered a bit last year having a teammate added at the last minute.
Surely this would have helped him not hindered (with set up etc.)
Old 2 Feb 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1215811)   #12
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ-Turner
Surely this would have helped him not hindered (with set up etc.)
you've forgotten about personnel. they split up when their attention is directed two ways instead of one.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 19:51 (Ref:1215818)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide

1 Bourdais
2 Junquiera
3 Tracy
4 Allmendinger
5 da Matta
6 Dominguez (if he remains, which looks 80% likely to me)
7 Tagliani
8 Wilson
9 Vasser
10 Hunter Reay
Don't mean to go of topic but I couldn't help noticing, that, that's a very strong Champ Car driver line up.

The future looks more than bright.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 22:18 (Ref:1215981)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does look good doesn't it.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 2 Feb 2005, 22:50 (Ref:1216018)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
It certainly is promising - that top 10 features 4 past champions, 6 North Americans including 3 from the US, 3 F3000 champions and 2 with F1 experience - something for everyone, I'd say.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 23:21 (Ref:1216041)   #16
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's certainly an interesting prospect, you'd have to say last year was a bit of a case of the newer teams still finding their feet compettitveness wise while you'd have expected the teams that ended up leaving would've used their greater experience to beat them had they stayed, but now the new teams and drivers have had a full Champcar year under their belts the sky is the limit hopefully!

Well, Newman-Haas is the limit, and I look foward to see which of the newer teams can take them on in 2005! (And if Forsythe wakes up and gives them what for too! )
Old 2 Feb 2005, 23:42 (Ref:1216053)   #17
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it seems un fair the Juggernaut legend team versus the Newbies
Allthough the RuSport chemistry and team dynamics are well put together and they have tremendous experience, and they have shown well, they are new to this level and have much to learn compared to the N-H superteam. the battles though will be good this year, N-H forythe, PKV, RuSport, oh what fun
Old 3 Feb 2005, 22:09 (Ref:1216940)   #18
Mosst
Rookie

Mosst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newman-Haas Vs. RuSport?

This is what Bourdais has to say on the subject!

'I think it's going to be much harder to win this year. First,
because RuSPORT is going to be much stronger. To me, that's the
number one opponent. Not that I underestimate Tracy, but I'm not
quite sure that Forsythe is working as hard as RuSPORT.'

'I definitely think our first opponents are going to be Wilson and
A.J. They're both very fast drivers and strong racers. They were
strong last year and finished well even though they didn't know some
of the tracks and were new to the series. They're going to show up
this year with two very good drivers. I know Justin very well. I've
competed against him many times and I think they're going to be a
very strong package. With A.J. and Justin and (engineer) David Brown
I think they're going to be tough to beat. I don't expect an easy
year.'
Old 4 Feb 2005, 01:11 (Ref:1217043)   #19
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosst
This is what Bourdais has to say on the subject!

'I think it's going to be much harder to win this year. First,
because RuSPORT is going to be much stronger. To me, that's the
number one opponent. Not that I underestimate Tracy, but I'm not
quite sure that Forsythe is working as hard as RuSPORT.'
I think the Forsythe team have a little something in the way of motivation to hang on their wall now.

"BRING OUT THE CHROME HORN!!!"

Last edited by enemy-ace; 4 Feb 2005 at 01:12.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 4 Feb 2005, 01:19 (Ref:1217044)   #20
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Predictions? I'll go with:

1. Bourdais -- Easily the favorite. Several wins.
2. Allmendinger -- Will be the most impressive. A few wins
3. Wilson -- IMO, has been underrated by a lot of people. A few wins
4. Junqueria -- A propensity to underwhelm. A win or two.
5. Tracy -- Forsythe is in decline. A win or two.
6. Da Matta -- PKV just isn't a top team yet. Maybe a win or two.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1219679)   #21
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift
Predictions? I'll go with:

1. Bourdais -- Easily the favorite. Several wins.
2. Allmendinger -- Will be the most impressive. A few wins
3. Wilson -- IMO, has been underrated by a lot of people. A few wins
4. Junqueria -- A propensity to underwhelm. A win or two.
5. Tracy -- Forsythe is in decline. A win or two.
6. Da Matta -- PKV just isn't a top team yet. Maybe a win or two.
I wouldn't count out Vasser for a win either, though I don't expect him to threaten every weekend. That said....look at that list of names that should be fighting for a podium every weekend! Here's hoping that the season ends up even half as entertaining as it shaping up to be.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1219747)   #22
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
I don't feel like I can make a good prediction... I feel like Bourdais will have less success, PT will have a similar average, but better lows, Junquiera similar, AJ a win or two, CDM a couple of wins, Jimmy a win, Wilson maybe a win.

I find it frustrated that Forsythe has dumped all this money into the series, but he won't pay that little bit more to make his team a championship contender. I can't blame him, but last year it took a lot of the excitement out of the series. I really hope the lesser teams can get up to the front on a regular basis. Guys like Tag, Servia, Dominguez have the ability to do it, they just need the car. It would be great to see Valiente in the series and getting a few podiums for Walker. Both deserve it.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1220569)   #23
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
It's only testing, but RuSport was quicker than N/H in Sebring.

50.64 - Allmendinger
50.90 - Wilson
50.90 - Junqueira
50.99 - Vasser
51.60 - Philippe
51.70 - Figge

Other teams are expected to join Forsythe in Homestead, Feb. 17-18.