Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Oct 2004, 09:49 (Ref:1138668)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Toyota -Jordan and Fuji?

Autosport are reporting that the as yet unconfirmed Jordan-Toyota deal, may be part of a larger plan to entice the Japanese GP away from Suzuka (owned by Honda) to Fuji (owned by guess who?...Toyota).

It's believed that if Toyota have agreed a supply deal it will be in the region of $8M a year, and could see Ryan Briscoe form part of the driver line up.

It's alleged that by 'coming to the rescue' of Jordan, Toyota may push sufficient buttons with Bernie for Fuji to get a slot on the 2006 calendar, with the Suzuka circuit becoming the Pacific Grand Prix, providing two races in Japan.

This sounds plausible enough, given that there is almost always some double motive behind most F1 deals. I'm not sure about so many places gaining double races though, when the calendar is supposedly over subscribed with new countries and venues.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 10:06 (Ref:1138684)   #2
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This could be very intresting, and i'm happi Jordan is still in for next year!
Old 28 Oct 2004, 10:15 (Ref:1138695)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Japan has a better claim on having 2 races than most countries - it's a huge country, with a massive racing following and huge invovlement in the sport. Fuji is a nice circuit, but I'd be pleasedf if we don't lose Suzuka. And I'd love to see Jordan with competitive engines.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 11:42 (Ref:1138751)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fuji set for GP following Jordan's Toyota deal.

Taken from Autosport.

Jordan is on the verge of confirming a Toyota engine supply for 2005 in a deal which will help take the Japnese Grand Prix to the Toyota-owned Fuji circuit.

Toyota is understood to be using its show of goodwill in supplying a struggling team to exert pressure on Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone to transfer the venue of the Japanese GP from Honda-owned Suzuka to the state-of-the-art Fuji Raceway, owned by Toyota.
A relocated Japanese GP may half of a Japanese double-header on the '06 calendar, with the Suzuka race rebranded as the Pacific GP.

hrug:
Old 28 Oct 2004, 11:53 (Ref:1138766)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have just realised there was a simailar thread.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 11:55 (Ref:1138769)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Yet more races on the schedule at the cost of Silverstone?
Old 28 Oct 2004, 12:50 (Ref:1138828)   #7
npperk
Rookie

npperk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have to wonder if we really need a Pacific GP when there are lots of other new countries lining up. Mexico, South Africa, the (seemingly) failed Russian attempt for example. Althought that may become a priority again if this Midland team come in...

However, I wish Eddie all the best for the new year. I've always admired his ability to take not much and turn it into something. Just unfortunate the last couple of years the package wasn't there...
Old 28 Oct 2004, 12:54 (Ref:1138832)   #8
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Merged with the existing Jordan/Toyota thread.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 13:50 (Ref:1138906)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by luke
Yet more races on the schedule at the cost of Silverstone?

I don't think so.

Bernie wants a British Grand Prix.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 15:40 (Ref:1139047)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I'm hoping that this Jordan/Toyota deal comes off, however, i still don't hold out too much hope for a good season for Jordan with the car being designed around a totally different engine, so late in the day
Old 28 Oct 2004, 18:17 (Ref:1139149)   #11
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
I'm hoping that this Jordan/Toyota deal comes off, however, i still don't hold out too much hope for a good season for Jordan with the car being designed around a totally different engine, so late in the day
Put it this way, if you look at Toyota's relative performance this year, Jordan have to design a better car than this years Toyota if they are to make any real progress.

Hopefully EJ will refrain from the 'Jordan fightback' rhetoric over the winter, and they get their heads down and produce a tidy, efficient car. I want to see EJ up the grid again, somehow Jordan DO look out of place there, although their budget kind of places them in that spot.

This year, the Toyota engine was rated as good the Toyota aero as poor, Trulli says they need to find more downforce if they are to make any progress.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 18:49 (Ref:1139161)   #12
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would be more likely that Fuiji replaced Suzuka. Be interesting to hear what toyota thinks of this since they own Suzuka.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 18:59 (Ref:1139176)   #13
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Honda own Suzuka.
Old 28 Oct 2004, 19:13 (Ref:1139195)   #14
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by alesi95
I think it would be more likely that Fuiji replaced Suzuka. Be interesting to hear what toyota thinks of this since they own Suzuka.
sorry i meant Honda. That would make a whole lot more sense.
Old 29 Oct 2004, 03:49 (Ref:1139498)   #15
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ryan Briscoe seems to be feeling more confident about landing a drive with Jordan next year as part of the Toyota engine to Jordan package.

Reports in Australia suggest the deal re the engines could be struck in about a fortnight.
Old 29 Oct 2004, 07:04 (Ref:1139567)   #16
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Japan has a better claim on having 2 races than most countries - it's a huge country, with a massive racing following and huge invovlement in the sport.
So, judging by that criteria, with GB's involvement through the number of teams based here, how many GP's should we have?

And yet we're struggling to get one!

Forget politics. 1 country = 1 race.
Old 29 Oct 2004, 07:25 (Ref:1139578)   #17
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The jordan/toyota engine deal is good news.Especially as toyota quoted recently 10-12 million euros for an engine supply (one available only)
I'm guessing this is the lower figure (less upgrades,etc?) minus a few more million for taking ryan

The fuji rumour is pretty sickening.I tell you what-that fuji track would want to be an absolute stunner to outdo suzuka!!
Old 29 Oct 2004, 07:41 (Ref:1139592)   #18
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
More rumours surrounding EJ.

Eddie Jordan is close to a deal with Toyota for a supply of engine for his team but it looks like the deal will include a number of other changes, including the arrival in the team of a new owner in the form of a mysterious businessman from China, whom we have yet to identify. It seems that in addition Arden International's Christian Horner will come in and run the team

Full story:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns13759.html
Old 29 Oct 2004, 08:36 (Ref:1139630)   #19
davebreen
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
davebreen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilwaynesmith
Forget politics. 1 country = 1 race.
Germany has two races, so Japan may indeed get a second one.
Old 29 Oct 2004, 08:43 (Ref:1139636)   #20
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
I believe that was my point

forget flags of convenience, 1 country should equal 1 race.
Old 29 Oct 2004, 09:08 (Ref:1139653)   #21
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Shivers, the way we are going, we are going to have 12 teams in F1 with 25 races!! with Midland and Team Dubai joining in 2006, and maybe Jag getting sold, and Mexico, Russia, Turkey, Japan, USA, London all rumoured to have a race!! (USA and Japan a 2nd race of course, with Turkey already confirmed)

Bring It On!
Old 29 Oct 2004, 10:07 (Ref:1139706)   #22
Bobie
Racer

Bobie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
More rumours surrounding EJ.

Eddie Jordan is close to a deal with Toyota for a supply of engine for his team but it looks like the deal will include a number of other changes, including the arrival in the team of a new owner in the form of a mysterious businessman from China, whom we have yet to identify. It seems that in addition Arden International's Christian Horner will come in and run the team

Full story:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns13759.html
The Chinese businessman is no mystery, his name is Jie Guo and he is behind a consortium ti invest in Jordan. Guo has set upa a new company called World Team Sports Management. Guo is mad about F1 and has been looking at a way to be involved for while, including considering Jaguar and Minardi but Jordan is the number one option.
Old 29 Oct 2004, 10:29 (Ref:1139720)   #23
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What if the Jordan did a Sauber and had the whole car design?

Would both then run on Bridgestone?
Old 29 Oct 2004, 10:43 (Ref:1139729)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are rumours that Toyota is switching to Bridgestone.

Jordan have already hired Mark Smith from Renault to design their car.
Old 29 Oct 2004, 11:15 (Ref:1139753)   #25
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Didn't Toyota hire Mark from Renault, but due to the contracts involved, have to put him on "gardening leave"? They then realised that they could place him with another team, without breaching any contracts.