Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 1 Apr 2004, 19:23 (Ref:926708)   #1
aussiemotohead
Rookie

aussiemotohead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
international offical licences

I was wondering i have a CAMS offical's licence... and i might do a few events overseas (mainly in the US or UK just don't know yet because i haven't decided).

How do they work out the licences as far as people who come from overseas to work? is there any special system (and more importatlly is there any system at all)?

Simsy
Old 1 Apr 2004, 19:32 (Ref:926718)   #2
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi and welcome to 10/10ths.

As far as I know, if you are coming to the UK you would just turn up like the rest of us - doesn't matter what "international" licence you hold. However what would matter would be your "discipline"? Are you a flag marshal or a fire marshal or a pit marshal or something else?

Depending on what you do would depend on where you marshal over here in England. I'm afraid I haven't a clue as to the US but I'm sure someone on here will be able to help.
Old 1 Apr 2004, 19:38 (Ref:926722)   #3
aussiemotohead
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheila M
Hi and welcome to 10/10ths.

Are you a flag marshal or a fire marshal or a pit marshal or something else?
Shelia,

I've worked as a paddock marshal(mainly in the support paddock at the Australian F1 GP but i digress), But i would in the future like to do spectator marshalling.

Simsy
Old 1 Apr 2004, 20:55 (Ref:926781)   #4
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by aussiemotohead
Shelia,

I've worked as a paddock marshal(mainly in the support paddock at the Australian F1 GP but i digress), But i would in the future like to do spectator marshalling.

Simsy
In that case it would be easy - you just turn up. However, we don't have that many paddock marshals over here these days - they work mostly in the assembly area. As for spectator marshalling, can't say I see many of them around either, unless its for a GP.

If you wanted to try another discipline I'm sure that there are several people on this forum who would be willing to "take you under their wing" for a day to show you what we do over here.

A thought occurs to me - are you over 16? If so, you could come and have a go at pit marshalling some time if you would like to try it.
Old 2 Apr 2004, 03:35 (Ref:926985)   #5
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
USA, at your service

Quote:
Shelia,I've worked as a paddock marshal(mainly in the support paddock at the Australian F1 GP but i digress), But i would in the future like to do spectator marshalling.
Simsy
:confused: You have not mentioned your race preferences (Sports Car, Motorcycle, Professional, Open Wheel, Amateur etc.)

In the USA, the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) sanctions Amateur and some Professional road racing events as well as Autocrosses (trials, but on very large parking lots or disused airfields). The club races are of Regional (~30 regions put on races), Divisional, and National championship races. Spectator marshaling is generally provided by the track(s) and no SCCA personnel are involved. The Porsche Club and BMW Club also have races with similar levels of competition. The professional events (ALMS, Grand-Am, Speed World Challenge, OWRS (nee CART)and various `formulae' are always staffed by SCCA licensed workers. Guests are accomodated almost always, but some professional events have limitations on worker passes.

PM me with your travel dates/locations and I will attempt to steer you to the appropriate "Region" of SCCA. If you access: http://www.marshalspost.com/index.php you will find a lot of information. "thebear" is the source of all the US material as well as the articles about Le Mans and Indy F-1.
Old 2 Apr 2004, 07:27 (Ref:927076)   #6
aussiemotohead
Rookie

as it stands at the moment

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheila M
If you wanted to try another discipline I'm sure that there are several people on this forum who would be willing to "take you under their wing" for a day to show you what we do over here.

A thought occurs to me - are you over 16? If so, you could come and have a go at pit marshalling some time if you would like to try it.
Thanks Shelia for the offer. Yes i am over sixteen (ripe "old" age of 23)

willing to travel anywhere any time any place (pretty much to any rally or circuit track in the world within monetary and time constraints - i do live in australia, so not the closest place in the world to europe or the US!)

To thebear - I prefer open wheelers (F1 etc), Saloon cars (bit like our V8's down here in australia) and rally events (hmm like BRC, ARC, WRC etc)

Simsy

Last edited by aussiemotohead; 2 Apr 2004 at 07:31.
Old 2 Apr 2004, 21:47 (Ref:927889)   #7
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: as it stands at the moment

Quote:
To thebear - I prefer open wheelers (F1 etc), Saloon cars (bit like our V8's down here in australia) and rally events (hmm like BRC, ARC, WRC etc)Simsy
PM me with your travel dates/locations and I will attempt to steer you to the appropriate "Region" of SCCA. If you are in Northeren California in September (?) (I don't have the schedule within reach) you might enjoy the NA$CAR road race at Sears Point/Infineon Raceway.
Old 3 Apr 2004, 00:50 (Ref:927959)   #8
aussiemotohead
Rookie

bear,
i read your artcle on the F1 at indy... sounds like you had a good time considering the fog

Simsy
Old 3 Apr 2004, 01:22 (Ref:927971)   #9
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
F-1

Quote:
bear, i read your artcle on the F1 at indy... sounds like you had a good time considering the fog Simsy
Did you check out the pix in the "Album" section?
Old 3 Apr 2004, 04:52 (Ref:928038)   #10
aussiemotohead
Rookie

Re: F-1

Quote:
Originally posted by thebear
Did you check out the pix in the "Album" section?
not yet but hope to soon bear

Simsy