Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Jan 2004, 21:52 (Ref:845944)   #1
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CAMS and Track Licences

OK - we have the thread about AVESCO and track licences - this is one is for the CAMS demands errrr requirements.

I'm not sure if this has been released or stated anywhere else - but thought it needed to be brought into the open...

Apparently, under the new TRack Licence trms, any work carried out on the track - yes, including routine maintenance work - is cause to have the track re-inspected by CAMS Stewards at - again a typical CAMS way to charge money for something - the tracks expense.

So, for example, Winton in the past 2 weeks have done routine work on drains to ensure they are clear and fully operational - if they had a CAMS track licence, they are then up for the cost of a steward to re-inspect the track before the licence is functional again.

But the stupidity of this doesn't stop there.

CAMS are even classifying grass cutting as a cause for re-inspection.

And before anyone jumps up and down and says I am wrong, Queensland Raceway have attempted to get this clarified by CAMS - the CAMS response?

'We stand by the document wording'

IOW, they are issuing an ambiguously worded document and then refusing to clarify it.

If you again take Queensland Raceway, for 8 months of the year, the grass can be cut 2 to 3 times a week.

Is it any wonder that Queensland Raceway do not intend to obtain a CAMS track licence?

btw - I understand that QR offered to take out a track licence at 2003 rates but CAMS have refused this offer. So with all the talk recently about CAMS finances being fragile, it looks like they can adjust their budget downwards by at least $114,000 and possibly another $114,000 from Winton (the previous figure I was given is wrong - and I apologise for not getting it confirmed before I posted it...).

So, in one fell swoop, the CAMS budget for 2003/2004 has lost a quarter of a million dollars....Ouch!
Old 21 Jan 2004, 21:56 (Ref:845955)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes but that might be cheaper than a couple of insurance claims from each
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:00 (Ref:845962)   #3
TheGspot
Racer

TheGspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sad thing about all this from my point of view is that the show suffers, heads without commonsence need to roll and this thing needs to be run by businessmen with forsight not entrepeners. (spelling sucks)
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:04 (Ref:845967)   #4
RaceTime
Veteran

Gspot - which part are you saying needs the businessmen?

AVESCO have them - but they are too unforgiving - unfortunately motor sport is NOT the normal corporate world. IN the CW you generally have one or two businesses dealing with each other and they can haggle between themselves.

IN the motor sport world you have literally dozens, if not hundreds, of businesses all working together (supposedly) to put on a show.

The problem here is that each of these businesses have their own goals and aims - and they don't neccessarily coincide with each other BUT they should be able to work together unti;l you get one or two hotheads who want total and absolute control over everything - even to the detriment of everything else around them.

In this instance I think the words would be 'short sightedness' on the part of CAMS in particular, and AVESCO.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:10 (Ref:845978)   #5
TheGspot
Racer

The problem is obviously that when all these "businessmen"
get around the table someone always picks up their ball and bat and heads home in a tantrum. Its typical in this instance where the PEOPLE think they are bigger than their sport. I dont think shortsightedness is the correct term,how about blind.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:15 (Ref:845984)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So what exactly is the point of TEGA, if not to rally the troops in a single direction?

Something of this consequence should have inspired an extraordinary board meeting I would have thought!
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:35 (Ref:846017)   #7
TheGspot
Racer

What and interrupt their Holidays at our expense. Wake up GTR
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:37 (Ref:846019)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
They are back from holidays as of Monday this week
Old 22 Jan 2004, 00:12 (Ref:846174)   #9
TheGspot
Racer

Back dont mean workin
Old 22 Jan 2004, 11:52 (Ref:846689)   #10
Bimmerhead
Racer

Bimmerhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wanna know the real reason behind QR not renewing their CAMS license? It goes something like this. QR has used AASA's insurance for all of their activities except, of course, CAMS events. CAMS then wants to charge a bees d#%k short of $130,000 for a couple of state championship rounds, 3 days circuit hire and a V8 round. I think I'd also be declining the invitiation on economic grounds!! My suggestion is to boycott the QMRC rounds and support the AASA sanctioned events at QR. That way we can still race but send a message to the silvertails in Melbourne that we are sick of paying through the nose for sub-standard representation.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 12:15 (Ref:846711)   #11
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Ross Palmer will still come into all of this. He owns his series and will not take kindly to CAMS or anyone else telling him where he can race. Well i hope that is the case anyway.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 19:09 (Ref:847286)   #12
Trevor P
Racer

Trevor P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there going to be, if not already, a calendar of AASA events?
Old 22 Jan 2004, 20:16 (Ref:847374)   #13
Big Trev
Racer

Big Trev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trevor, from what I understand (and I will stand corrected) that AASA will not be putting out a calendar, they believe that individual tracks will put out calendars. AASA are a sanctioning body not a promotional body for the tracks. Honestly if CAMS and AASA are offering the same product, does it really matter who is sanctioning. It is a bit like Telstra or Optus, who cares who supplies the service as long as you have one.

Last edited by Big Trev; 22 Jan 2004 at 20:20.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 21:24 (Ref:847446)   #14
RaceTime
Veteran

Trevor - Trev is correct - AASA won't be issuing a calendar - each track will be doing this.

I have received Wintons and NSW calendars, still waiting on others - as I receive them they will be amalgamated into the main calendar I show on RaceTime - at this stage, however, they are NOT marked as either CAMS or AASA - IMHO that is only trying to divde them - they are ALL classified as motor sport so will simply be shown, in date order, on my site.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 22:07 (Ref:847499)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RT- did you get that calendar i sent you a while back? The QR one is on the front page of the QR website, and a shodily formatted version of the QLD calendar is on accelerate.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 22:24 (Ref:847521)   #16
RaceTime
Veteran

Crash - can't recall seeing it - how was it sent? Keep in mind I was out of email contact between about Dec 30 and Jan 13 - can u send again please?
Old 23 Jan 2004, 03:44 (Ref:847806)   #17
Bimmerhead
Racer

Bimmerhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know, I don't really care who's behind AASA or what barrow CAMS, AVESCO or anyone else is trying to push. I just want to be able to race at a reasonable price and with some certainty of venue and conditions.

From the circuit owners perspective, I'm sure they simply want to get on with business - which means providing an adequate venue at a reasonable price to users, while keeping costs down to a point that allows them to make a commercial profit.

No-one except the competitors "owns" motorsport. If we all decided to park our vehicles under the house CAMS, AASA, AVESCO and the clubs would all realise that without us their existence would be meaningless
Old 23 Jan 2004, 09:59 (Ref:847985)   #18
Big Trev
Racer

Yes, we all understand your point Bimmer, I can assure that track owners are in the same boat as you, they just want to offer a service that is free of risk at a reasonable cost.

As for your comments about who owns the sport, I am an official and I could say the same thing, as could the track owners, fuel suppliers, flaggies, time keepers (for you RT) etc, etc, etc. We are all in this together. I could say that "without us their existance is meaningless" as well.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 10:01 (Ref:847987)   #19
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Con-Cur

Quote:
Originally posted by Bimmerhead
You know, I don't really care who's behind AASA or what barrow CAMS, AVESCO or anyone else is trying to push. I just want to be able to race at a reasonable price and with some certainty of venue and conditions.

From the circuit owners perspective, I'm sure they simply want to get on with business - which means providing an adequate venue at a reasonable price to users, while keeping costs down to a point that allows them to make a commercial profit.

No-one except the competitors "owns" motorsport. If we all decided to park our vehicles under the house CAMS, AASA, AVESCO and the clubs would all realise that without us their existence would be meaningless
Good words - even from a Bimmerhead!

In this overly regulated, politically correct world we live in, Motorsport is almost an anachronism.

Hells Bells! there are various forces out there continually conspiring to wipe our sport off the map and we are playing right into their hands with this pathetic power struggle storm in a teacup.

Can everyone just shake hands, agree to differ and get on with promoting and running the sport? please?

As I have said before though, all pigs fed and ready to fly!
Old 28 Jan 2004, 04:52 (Ref:853155)   #20
Big Trev
Racer

Has there been any new developments on this front?
Old 28 Jan 2004, 05:05 (Ref:853158)   #21
RaceTime
Veteran

Not expected until at least tomorrow - think I posted it in the AVESCO thread - John Tetley has been 'invited' to a meeting at CAMS in Melbourne this week to 'discuss the issues'
Old 28 Jan 2004, 11:47 (Ref:853459)   #22
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
They are back from holidays as of Monday this week
Has anybody noticed the difference? The only people being hurt in all this are the competitors that just want to race.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 12:20 (Ref:853498)   #23
RaceTime
Veteran

But are they really? The tracks are still there - the competitors and clubs are being a realistic alternative to CAMS under which they can still proceed with their meetings, but who are the people actually rejecting this alternative?
Old 28 Jan 2004, 18:56 (Ref:854070)   #24
Big Trev
Racer

As a volunteer official, nothing has changed for me.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 20:25 (Ref:854204)   #25
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First Cams had a go then handballed to AVESCO and AVESCO have handballed it back to CAMS.Ladies and gents please wake up smell the roses and relize that attempting to dicktate terms is not going to intimidate the track owners.Please explain to me how by cutting the grass you need a stewards inspection to declare the track safe.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 28 Jan 2004 at 20:27.