Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 May 2005, 16:35 (Ref:1296793)   #1
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Unique start it was!

I must say, I have never seen a start quite like Sundays. Firstly you have Villeneuve at an acute angle on the grid as he seemed to misjudge that last bit trying to stay out of the dirty side - but in hindsite a pretty effective way to get better grip - and then for both Minardis failing to get off, and with identical problems.
As for JV, I thought he may be penalised. I wonder if there is a rule covering that? The closest I've seen to anything like it is MS angling himself to do his patented "schumi swerve"
Old 9 May 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1296869)   #2
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should think that lining up that way hurt JV, because he lined up with his front wheels slightly turned... which means when he launched, he wouldn't have quite as much grip at the rear of the car as he would with the fronts straight ahead (ah, the good ol' friction circle at work!!!)
Old 9 May 2005, 17:44 (Ref:1296879)   #3
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unique start it was!

Sounds like Yoda has become an F1 Fan!
Old 9 May 2005, 17:48 (Ref:1296886)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The obvious precedent for that JV did was Fisichella, who managed to park in totally the wrong palce in 2 seperate Malaysian GPs, causing an aborted start in 1 (2001) and stalling whielt ryign to reverse in the other (2003). The JV one was a bit silly, but he probably didn't benefit from it and it wasn't really dangerous, so I wouldn't apply a penalty.

As for the Minardis, I can remember both Jordans being left among the 4 stalled cars at Austria 2001 (although with 2 different problems), the simultaneous Stewart fire at Melbourne 1999), adn enither Arrows getting away fropm the dummy grid at Melbourn 2002. Notice that all of these problems ahve happened either early in the season, jsut after a new car has been launcehd, or after a regulation change such as launch control.
Old 9 May 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1296891)   #5
grandprixdiary
Racer

grandprixdiary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But wasn't JV pointing his car almost at the pitwall ? Hardly the best way to start a race I would have thought...?

Rob
Old 9 May 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1296943)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
a question about the minardis'. when your car stalls on the start i know i've seen drivers make their way back to the pit to jump into the spare, but in this case you have two cars out, one being pushed around by stewards another stuck in gear, both drivers out of the cars with their steering wheels in hand, are they allowed to get back in the race or the stalled car. i was a little confused watching this, can anyone explain?

also with JV not being straight, whether or not it gives him a preforamnce edge, don't you still have to be lined up correctly in order to be in the box/avoid a false start?

no penalties for either team so i guess everything was on the up and up.
Old 10 May 2005, 09:03 (Ref:1297343)   #7
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl
a question about the minardis'. when your car stalls on the start i know i've seen drivers make their way back to the pit to jump into the spare, but in this case you have two cars out, one being pushed around by stewards another stuck in gear, both drivers out of the cars with their steering wheels in hand, are they allowed to get back in the race or the stalled car. i was a little confused watching this, can anyone explain?

also with JV not being straight, whether or not it gives him a preforamnce edge, don't you still have to be lined up correctly in order to be in the box/avoid a false start?

no penalties for either team so i guess everything was on the up and up.
Both Minardi drivers, though they were out oh the car for a while, took same cars they had tried to start.

After there is less than 15 seconds before formation lap starts, you can't change a car unless the race is red-flagged. (and even in this case you have to start from pit lane)

Remember last year at Indy when Montoya was DQ'ed after switching to spare car too late.
Old 10 May 2005, 10:33 (Ref:1297386)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Minardi only have 2 2005-spec cars, so I'm not sure which cars the drivers were supposed to have changed to?
Old 10 May 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1297546)   #9
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Heidfeld almost collected one of the Minardis, that was very close, closer than a Webber chop :LOL
Old 10 May 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1297548)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JV's pace was close to going backwards, so he lined his car up pointing neither one way or the other to reflect this.

Sorry. I just can't stop my fingers sometimes.
Old 12 May 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1299463)   #11
F1Fanatic_co_uk
Rookie

F1Fanatic_co_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Albers/Friesacher/Heidfeld/Barrichello near-miss was very lucky, I think. There's not much you can do to stop that kind of accident from a standing start. Perhaps it's a good thing that the new PS05 wasn't incredibly fast out of the box and they were starting from P1 and 2...
Old 13 May 2005, 01:18 (Ref:1299569)   #12
hgmonaro
Racer

hgmonaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NH was probably lucky the Minardi in front of him actually managed to move 1/2 car length forward otherwise I think he might have collected it. Also, lucky his Williams was a bit slower than RBs 'fazza otherwise they might have meet in a Minardi sandwich!
Old 13 May 2005, 01:48 (Ref:1299581)   #13
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I was amased that with a car on each side of the grid failing (the Minardis) and with 4 (?) cars behind them, that one or both weren't collected.

I hope they don't repeat this in Monaco...not quite a wide there !

DKGandBH
Old 13 May 2005, 11:28 (Ref:1299818)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
At least any impacts it did cause would have been at slow speed. Still, remember Spain 2003, when Raikkonen's Launch Control system propelled him into Pizzonia's stalled Jaguar? That did a lot of damage to Kimi's car even though it was at low speed.