Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 8 Jan 2004, 16:13 (Ref:831707)   #1
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone gets worse

Not sure what forum to put this in but no one seems to have mentioned it yet.From todays Autosport,it apears no spectators will be allowed inside of the circuit at the GP.Whilst this will make little difference to F1 fans who have not been allowed near an F1 car for years,now we are not to get near the supporting events?
I hope all fans,competitors,marshals,etc,will join me in boycotting all meetings at this circuit in protest at their arrogant treatment of the motorsport fans.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 16:32 (Ref:831721)   #2
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes a very poor do. I enjoyed the GP last year, but it looks like I'll just watch it on the box this time. Perhaps they want to make the whole event BRDC and 'Paddock Club' only ???
Old 8 Jan 2004, 16:35 (Ref:831726)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I was thinking of going to the GP this year for the non-championship touring car race. However I don't think I'm gonna bother and will probably just go to a normal TOCA meeting instead and save my money!
Old 8 Jan 2004, 20:27 (Ref:831948)   #4
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well that also solves my problem. Think I'll save my money and go watch the Porsches at Spa.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 21:44 (Ref:832029)   #5
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you sure it's Silverstone who've done this and not the latest of Bernie's demands?
Old 8 Jan 2004, 22:12 (Ref:832062)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I must admit over the last fews I have been thinking about maybe going. At £90 it is a bargin, but after reading Autosport today, I'm also having second thoughts.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 04:04 (Ref:832272)   #7
Startline1
Rookie

Startline1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why should anybody be suprised at this, as Silverstone have had an elitest attitude for years!!. Then again Bernie may not want the "great unwashed" anywhere near his dinner table.

Also i don`t think £90 is a bargin as most euro gp`s cost far less.I went to Estoril a few years back and paid just £27 to get in and sat in main g/stand

When will F1 learn, just look at the system at CART races where fans willingly pay to go "in field" as they know they can get so close to the drivers for a chat or autograph.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 07:56 (Ref:832398)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I believe the decision was made for one reason. A poor take up of centre transfer tickets last year. My reading of the article suggests it is the new company formed by Octagon that have made the decision and NOT the BRDC who in effect only landlords.

I would point out that for at least the last two GP's the support paddock has been fenced of al-la Formula 1 and you have needed a security pass to gain access, so the paying spectator really won't be getting much less for his/her Pound.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 18:58 (Ref:832922)   #9
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sort of chicken/egg scenario.

No access to drivers/cars then waste of money so don't buy so no access...
Old 10 Jan 2004, 09:45 (Ref:833410)   #10
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
I believe the decision was made for one reason. A poor take up of centre transfer tickets last year. My reading of the article suggests it is the new company formed by Octagon that have made the decision and NOT the BRDC who in effect only landlords.

I would point out that for at least the last two GP's the support paddock has been fenced of al-la Formula 1 and you have needed a security pass to gain access, so the paying spectator really won't be getting much less for his/her Pound.
Thanks for that info,Stephen,I'm suprised it does not seem to have been mentioned here before.I have not been to the British GP since it was last held at Brands.My personal boycott of Silverstone dates from 1988 when I went to the qualifying day for BRDC International Trophy and was not allowed entry to the F3000 paddock.
I spent yesterday at the Autosport Show and the only event I was attracted to consider a visit was the Manx kart GP!

Last edited by Rob29; 10 Jan 2004 at 09:49.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 15:39 (Ref:833584)   #11
avro
Racer

avro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob, if you race in the Formula Saloon race at Donnington at least you will get into the Euro F3000 paddock!!!!!!
Old 10 Jan 2004, 19:17 (Ref:833720)   #12
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh well thats good...I know that theres not a lot in the centre at the GP but I like to wander round the centre of the circuit, getting to look and the historics this year was good and I like say hello to those I know who are marshalling that side (my dad was on the inside last year and he was greatful when I bought him food and drink) so doesn't look like I'll be able to do that! Also what about all the spectators that sit on the inside of copse...hmmm.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 14:53 (Ref:856469)   #13
bbr73
Rookie

bbr73 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Silverstone get a lot of unnecessary stick!

At all race meetings bar the F1 British GP, you can wander around wherever you like and within reason watch from where you like. I went to many meetings last year and could freely walk the paddock and pits, watch from inside Copse and Beckett’s and did not have one problem.

The only weekend you would have problems at is the F1 British GP – why? Because come GP weekend there are two people in control of the circuit and that is Bernie and the FIA, who made the decision concerning centre passes. The high ticket prices and spectator restrictions are largely due to rules, requirements and charges imposed on Silverstone by them.

So come on, lay off them for a change, who else do you see spending millions upon millions each year to make the circuit good for both spectators and competitors alike.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 15:37 (Ref:856505)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
bbr according to the press release it was Octagon (silverstone motorsport) who made the decision not to sellcentre transfer tickets for this years GP.

I think you have to ignore what happens at the circuit all year as this is the British Grand Prix we are talking about. There are many people who only attend Silverstone for that one weekend of the year and who are now annoyed that they will not be able to watch from the centre had they chosen to do so. Personally I think they have a fair point especially given the normally large crowds on the outside of the circuit.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 15:41 (Ref:856510)   #15
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Do you work for the BRDC bbr73? Show me one thing that has been done to improve things for spectators.
Old 30 Jan 2004, 15:45 (Ref:856518)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Rob, the BRDC only own Silverstone, it is the old Octagon Motorsports that are responsible for the upkeep and improvements. However, I do agree with you that there has been little done to improve the lot for spectators over the past few years.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 21:38 (Ref:858090)   #17
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Make the most of it while its there cos Bernies gunning for it (again)http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3447555.stm
Old 10 Feb 2004, 12:45 (Ref:869434)   #18
bbr73
Rookie

bbr73 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah, I just live local to the circuit and test/race their quite a bit, so probably a bit biased. I just happen to find the access to the circuit,plus the facilities much much better to others I have been to.

I do think that a lot of the fun has been strangled out of the F1 GP though, because of the stringent rules imposed on the circuit by the powers that be. It all started to go down hill when the GP was held in April and it snowed. Ever since then the circuit have found it hard to earn the respect it needs, who's crazy decesion was that?
Old 10 Feb 2004, 13:02 (Ref:869448)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
One BE I believe. Of course it had nothing to do with the fact the BRDC refused to sell Silverstone to Octagon did it
Old 10 Feb 2004, 13:04 (Ref:869450)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I agree with you that access is now excellent, especially for non F1 events and that facilities are pretty good too.

However, I still don't understand why they have cancelled the centre transfer pass.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 10:42 (Ref:870452)   #21
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there is another reason for this decision which can be placed squarely at the feet of the sponsors et al.

I took a stroll over the centre on the Friday of last year's GP and it began to rain. I made for the toilets, the bar, the shop and the restaurant... all were cordorned off from a long way away and being used by F1 personnel and sponsors! As a result there was nowhere to shelter at all on the inside of the circuit! So, where exactly do you go in the centre if you need a wee, need a hot drink or want to browse around the shop undercover? You don't!

Therefore, I wonder if another reason why Centre transfer has been cancelled is because there aren't the facilities for the public on the inside during the GP weekend. Okay, they could build some more (and it would be a good idea) but that would probably interfere with the helicopters landing/taking off over the weekend and I would prefer the air control to have an uninterrupted view of things like that. Apart from the safety issue, Silverstone couldn't possibly allow Bernie's over-rich hangers-on to not be able to land in their helicopters!!!

Last edited by Suzy; 11 Feb 2004 at 10:42.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 13:04 (Ref:870626)   #22
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Exactly.The public are simply not wanted at the GP .They are bring coralled into increasingly smaller areas.Unfortunately this means that having suffered this bad experience they are not tempted to try the smaller meetings where they may find more civilized conditions.Hope Mr Palmer can promote the message that his circuits are customer friendly.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 13:26 (Ref:870657)   #23
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am fortunate to have had paddock access at the GP for several years now and each time I go, I wonder why the spectators bother to buy a centre transfer pass when they cannot get anywhere near the F1 drivers anyway? Such a shame that must be addressed IMO.
The corporate/helicopter operation is so large now ( it was even bigger) so effectively the whole of the bottom half of the circuit is taken over with this. The BRDC campsite occupies the area by the farm and support trucks, motorhomes etc etc even more of the infield.
But even the BRDC campsite had a green fence (netting) around it last year. Apparantly the motorhomes/caravans were deemed unsightly by the powers that be to the arriving VIPs in the helicopters a few yards away.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 13:39 (Ref:870677)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
and J Palmer didn't have his customary hospitality suite doen the inside of Hangar Straight either last year.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 14:12 (Ref:870729)   #25
Mike Holmes
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Mike Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The attraction of a centre transfer for me was the ability to walk down to Vale and Club and watch the drivers at work without the mass crowds you normally get on the outside. OK so you were miles from a toilet but there was always a couple of burger vans down there.