yes, I'm for driver aids. 6 11.76%
no, I'm against driver aids. 45 88.24%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Feb 2003, 20:56 (Ref:515303)   #1
Daiboy
Rookie

Daiboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Better...or Worse?

What are you views on the banning of driver aids? at a guess id hope that most were pleased they were (for now) on there way out. But who are the people who want them to remain????

Show yourselves..damn you!!!
Old 23 Feb 2003, 21:03 (Ref:515313)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have added the for and against bit in the options just to make it a bit clearer
Old 23 Feb 2003, 21:07 (Ref:515321)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome to ten-tenths Daiboy.

Well they have until Silverstone!

I think the drivers should have as much control over there vehicle as possible. And throttle control is a part of driving and should be made as difficult as possible for the drivers.

And the drivers (generally) hate them. Especially people like Senna.

Something I can see too. When I'm out at Donington (or whereever) or down my local Kart track I think that it would be nowhere near as fun if I had traction control!
Old 23 Feb 2003, 21:15 (Ref:515330)   #4
Daiboy
Rookie

Daiboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i totaly agree Adam. Schumacher surprisingly said that he approved of driving aids because he can get closer to the 'Perfect' lap...where as Senna hated gizmos and saw them as an insult to his craft. Surely as a driver and a spectator, knowing the person behind the wheel was able to post such an amazing lap due to his skill, must be a boost for the drivers confidence and the spectators effort to be there.
Old 23 Feb 2003, 22:05 (Ref:515399)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm totally against driver aids, particularly issues such as traction/launch control and semi-automatic/automatic gearboxes. It just makes the drivers job far too easy and frankly it requires less skill to drive a computer driven car - turn and accelerate...
Old 23 Feb 2003, 22:08 (Ref:515404)   #6
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I have traction control, it's called my right foot!!"

Roy Lane, multiple British Hillclimb champion !!
Old 23 Feb 2003, 22:16 (Ref:515417)   #7
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Completely and absolutely against driver aids. They really are the virus that is slowy killing F1.

P.s. welcome to Ten-Tenths Daiboy, another fan of Mr Roebuck I see!
Old 23 Feb 2003, 22:28 (Ref:515434)   #8
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we all use traction control etc when we play our computer games but........ they are called cheats !!!!
Why can't the "professionals" learn to drive without them, just as the greats used to???????
Old 23 Feb 2003, 22:32 (Ref:515439)   #9
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TC and LC and AutoBoxes are bad, bad, bad! Just finished watching the CART race with no aids and loved it. Can't wait for the aids to go in the F1 cars.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 23 Feb 2003, 22:44 (Ref:515455)   #10
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like to see drivers race without TC and LC and AutoBoxes
Old 24 Feb 2003, 01:52 (Ref:515572)   #11
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm against them, but then, I am terribly misguided because I see the value of keeping costs down and enhancing the driver's responsibility for keeping the car on the tack.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 02:20 (Ref:515589)   #12
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
An accelerator,brake ,clutch and a gear lever is all you need,Fangio didn't need launch control...you just drop the clutch and your off,its not hard!.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 02:26 (Ref:515594)   #13
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i am for them for the simple reason that that they are illegal. It is easier to have them then to have the spectacle and accusations of cheating in my mind those take away from the show more than the aids do
Old 24 Feb 2003, 02:32 (Ref:515600)   #14
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may come across as sitting on the fence, but, F1 being known as the pinnacle of technology, I have no objection to teams being able to use it. However, I personally prefer not to have launch or traction control. Todays CHAMP car race was a good example of what we could possibly see in the future, after Silverstone. Much more fun to watch.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 03:26 (Ref:515632)   #15
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It depends on the actual component.

I think launch control should go, because lets face it, if you cant get the car off the grid without it, you shouldnt be there!! However, other driver aids such as traction control I consider to be OK. Many of you refer to drivers such as Fangio, or more recently Senna not requiring the use of these controls, but certainly in the case of Fangio - well, he would never have been doing the speed reached at todays standards. The same applies to Senna to an extent. You all want to see the cars go faster and for technology to keep getting better, but you dont seem to consider that the human form stays the same.

No driver aids, you reach a "stay" in car speed and handling.
With driver aids, we keep moving forward.

50/50 I say.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 03:32 (Ref:515637)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check out the highlights from todays champcar race at cart.com if you want to see what it'd be like without TC .
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 24 Feb 2003, 06:56 (Ref:515707)   #17
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna claimed that driver aids were in insult to his craft. Never a truer word has been spoken about motor racing.

TGF's "perfect lap" still no match.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 24 Feb 2003, 08:18 (Ref:515743)   #18
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Quote:
Originally posted by Daiboy
i totaly agree Adam. Schumacher surprisingly said that he approved of driving aids ..
Maybe Schummi is getting a bit soft in his old age? Perhaps the children and huuuuuuuuuuuuuge bank balance are starting to weigh a bit heavily on his mind?
Old 24 Feb 2003, 08:41 (Ref:515752)   #19
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by neilwaynesmith
Maybe Schummi is getting a bit soft in his old age? Perhaps the children and huuuuuuuuuuuuuge bank balance are starting to weigh a bit heavily on his mind?
You may be right, he was slow last year. Who won again, and by how much?

As Diabando says, the cars are different to years gone by (power curves etc). I would prefer we knocked back the power, gave them bigger tyres and removed the driver aids. While your at it rip the wings off as well. Now we have a driver's championship.

Note : You boys be nice to Diabando, she does'nt come in here very often, and if you scare her off I'll kick your *****.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 08:57 (Ref:515759)   #20
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
I'm not detracting from last years accomplishments, or even entering into the debate of car vs driver, merely recalling comments made by him about car and circuit safety, driver aids etc...
Old 24 Feb 2003, 10:57 (Ref:515837)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've always been very much against excessive driver aids. Nigel Mansell once said that a computer failure is not motor racing, and its not right to have cars which are caspable of making the drivera mere passenger. That a 17 year old kid (Nico Rosberg) can jump into the car, and compare it to a PlayStation game having had no toruble keeping it on the road, is frighteningg. F1 should ahve the best drivers, the best racing, and the msot skill. Engineers have lotsd of other targets to improve on, without all the fancy electronics.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 11:27 (Ref:515851)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Diabando
It depends on the actual component.

I think launch control should go, because lets face it, if you cant get the car off the grid without it, you shouldnt be there!! However, other driver aids such as traction control I consider to be OK. Many of you refer to drivers such as Fangio, or more recently Senna not requiring the use of these controls, but certainly in the case of Fangio - well, he would never have been doing the speed reached at todays standards. The same applies to Senna to an extent. You all want to see the cars go faster and for technology to keep getting better, but you dont seem to consider that the human form stays the same.

No driver aids, you reach a "stay" in car speed and handling.
With driver aids, we keep moving forward.

50/50 I say.
Traction control comes into play when the cars are not going at speed - it comes into play when a car is exiting a corner when it is accelerating. I think Fangio, racing on those skinny tyres would have benefitted even more with traction control than today's drivers. As for Senna, hell, he was slow, wasn't he! Bugger never got anywhere near the phenomenal speeds current drivers race at.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 24 Feb 2003 at 11:30.
Old 24 Feb 2003, 11:40 (Ref:515861)   #23
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
That a 17 year old kid (Nico Rosberg) can jump into the car, and compare it to a PlayStation game having had no toruble keeping it on the road, is frightening.
I did see Nico Rosberg win in BMW formula at Nürburgring june last year,he did have no TC and LC and AutoBoxes,and he shown fantastic racing
Old 24 Feb 2003, 12:35 (Ref:515913)   #24
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes keep them actual add more .
I love F1 I love that F1 is the most advance motorsport in the world and that F1 paves the advancement trail to product models
add more aids ABS ,auto diffs, active suspension ,
take the toys out of F1 and the threat of these wonder cars is cart (god don't let that happen)
I want these cars to have every possible advancement thats possible with slick tyres
imagine the lap times !
Old 24 Feb 2003, 13:02 (Ref:515938)   #25
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should've kept them.

F1 is about technology, all this is just going backwards in time, the technology is already here and teams will find some way to get around the rules.

It's the same for everyone, whether the car is full of driver aids or not, the better drivers still show through.