Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Sep 2005, 17:13 (Ref:1403812)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Confirmed: Williams to Bridgestone, Red Bull stay on Michelin

Tyre announcements for next year have been made.

Looks like Toyota go to Bridgestone too, giving five teams each.

(I expect Minardi may have to change to Michelin though)
Old 10 Sep 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1403816)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Odd.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1403817)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why is it odd?

Williams have been behind McLaren, Renault, BAR, Toyota and sometimes Red Bull on Michelins.

Swap to Bridgestones and on days when they have the upper hand they'll be the 2nd or 3rd Bridgestone team at worst.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1403821)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well that depends. If Bridgestone have a stinky year, they go down with them.

Of course, it could be a smart move in the sense that the future probably holds a Bridgestone control tyre.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 17:21 (Ref:1403822)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Williams and Toyota have really gone against the grain here.

I hope they know something us mere mortals don't regarding the tyres for next year.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 17:25 (Ref:1403824)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

You would expect Bridgestone to be an improvement next year of course. And we'll get a good indicator of their direction with the new compound/construction in Brazil, so they say.

I still think it's a little wild to switch to them. They could look like idiots here, as much as they could look like geniuses.

It's also known that Mike Gascoyne is not a happy bunny about Toyota's likely tyre switch.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1403831)   #7
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't expect Red Bull to stay on Michelin, because of its engine deal with Ferrari. But if Toyota and Williams will go on Bridgestone, it would be could news for Ferrari as well.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 17:38 (Ref:1403834)   #8
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota will go on Bridgestone as well. According to GP2005.com, the deal has been confirmed.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 17:40 (Ref:1403835)   #9
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well . Sauber switched to Michelin . so why not Red Bull to stay with Michelin ??

Ciao Marco
Old 10 Sep 2005, 18:04 (Ref:1403848)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sauber's switch was widely percieved as the first clue that the team's relationship with Ferrari was breaking down.

I think Toyota and Williams have been quite clever here. Bridgestone may still have a wet-weather advantage, and they have much more chance of having competitive tyres when they have 3 top teams helping them develop, and there are bound to be days when Bridgestone are at an advantage. it may also be that Bridgestone have learnt the hard way that you can't concentrate primarily on one team and expect others to remains. Also, it gives them a year or 2 of working with the company and its tyres before everyone has to switch.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1403855)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Working on the basis that the confrimations of Toyota and Williams swapping are in fact 100% solid, well this is wonderful.

Williams provides another decent team with a solid future (at least in the mid-term). For me, though, it is the Toyota that is the big one. This is absolutely fantastic. I have been wanting this for a while. However, the big issue is that Bridgestone and Ferrari MUST put their whole efforts and will into maximising the potential. Get Toyota to set up the dedicated test team ala Ferrari, and then have a complete free flow of all data. Find common ground and have both teams working towards the same ends. The potential of such a set-up is, in my opinion, utterly immense. I guess testing agreements or what have you will need to be thought about, but having said that Toyota have shown themselves perfectly capable and willing to exploit loopholes either way.

Naturally it would be good if Williams would be willing to enter into a similar strategy, but somehow I don't think they would be up for getting quite so involved. In that case, then, Bridgestone would clearly just need to work on seperate tyres for them. There is the other option of Williams broadly working to the same ends, but just not being quite so interlinked (preferable for sure).

Who knows, though, perhaps Toyota and Williams will go into a close relationship and leave Ferrari isolated? Although, I think, ultimately, the new teams would be wise to get close to Ferrari.

I do have some degree of concern that Ferrari may not be willing to go into the total partnership with Toyota as I explained it above. However, hopefully this year has proven an adequate jolt to make it seen as the only really viable option.

Midland could be something worthwhile next year too: if the money starts rolling in now that the whole Jordan thing is thrown away and they are building things purely on their own endevours?

This is all very interesting, and I am thoroughly happy about it.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 19:06 (Ref:1403866)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Two big teams switch to Bridgestone because they think it'll be good for them, not so they can help Ferrari.

If current trends continue, Toyota will be the lead Bridgestone team in any case.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 19:23 (Ref:1403874)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Its interesting in that the two teams which were instrumental in bringing Michelin into F1 (Williams and Toyota) have now turned their backs on Michelin.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1403879)   #14
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I realise they do not join to help Ferrari KB. I was obviously writing in terms of its affect on Ferrari. The idea was, however, that the partnerships would be mutually beneficial.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 19:41 (Ref:1403884)   #15
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did the tyre failures at Turkey have any effect of Williams switching?
Old 10 Sep 2005, 19:46 (Ref:1403886)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by esorniloc

I think the decision was made before that.

The Turkey problem was a car issue rather than a tyre one as I understood it.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 20:22 (Ref:1403906)   #17
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Toyota changed . probably also thinking ..if the BS tires are better it provides them an advantage over 5 top teams and only having to beat Ferrari on the same tires .

Ciao Marco
Old 10 Sep 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1403954)   #18
Not Rated
Rookie

United States
Chicago, IL
Not Rated should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hehe, and what about the Toyota failures at Indy?
Old 10 Sep 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1403963)   #19
davebreen
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
davebreen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say this is a good decision, because if they are talking about switching to a single supplier in the next couple of years it looks like it will be Bridgestone. Toyota and Williams will be in better shape having some experience with them before the change
Old 10 Sep 2005, 23:04 (Ref:1404002)   #20
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see Michelin giving Minardi the tyres unless they pay up the money they owe them from the last time they gave them some tyres - unless Dietrich has already sorted something out...
Old 10 Sep 2005, 23:19 (Ref:1404007)   #21
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Quite. Whatever it is Red Bull could pay it off without much difficulty.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 23:25 (Ref:1404010)   #22
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Regards Toyota, I always felt it was strange two Japanese companies didn't work together.
Old 10 Sep 2005, 23:35 (Ref:1404012)   #23
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Net-Ranger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by esorniloc
uhmmm...

Let's see...

Cosworth engines for 2006
Bridgestone tires for 2006

Cosworth= Kevin Kalkoven & Gerry Forsythe Business
Bridgestone= Champcar Supplier & Parthner
Champcar= Kevin Kalkoven & Gerry Forsythe series

What's next???, Sebastien Bourdais in a Williams F-1 car and Patrick Head designing the next generation Champcar??...

...Just a Sarturday afternoon Joke...

Good weekend for all...
Old 10 Sep 2005, 23:57 (Ref:1404020)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I would have expected RBR-Ferrari to go to Bridgestone next year, strange I don't understand that one?
Old 11 Sep 2005, 00:24 (Ref:1404028)   #25
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
Toyota changed . probably also thinking ..if the BS tires are better it provides them an advantage over 5 top teams and only having to beat Ferrari on the same tires .
Are you sure that it's not because Michelen are BS?