Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Aug 2003, 00:51 (Ref:683389)   #26
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ok pictures coming up

al unser Jnr testing for Williams
Attached Images

Old 9 Aug 2003, 00:54 (Ref:683392)   #27
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
and here he is on track in the williams
Attached Thumbnails
jnr2.jpg  
Old 9 Aug 2003, 00:56 (Ref:683393)   #28
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
I also have a picture of Moreno testing the McLaren which im trying to hunt down.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 00:59 (Ref:683395)   #29
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
and here it is
Attached Thumbnails
moreno.jpg  
Old 9 Aug 2003, 01:01 (Ref:683396)   #30
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
and one more for the record books , this apparently is Tiff Needell testing for Williams in 1991 , something I didnt know even occured ???
Attached Thumbnails
tiff.jpg  
Old 9 Aug 2003, 02:15 (Ref:683415)   #31
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
On his day, Al Jr could run with anyone (and he did). Should he have taken better care of himself? Absolutely.

If he were as described above he would have been injured or worse fairly quickly, either by the car or the other drivers. Fortunately I got to see him race before the problems began (that we all just recently have found out for sure) and I assure you, he was quick, agressive and absolutely relentless in running down and passing the guy in front of him.

I couldn't stand him, but he was a terrific driver and a great career was truly wasted by substance abuse. His daughter developing a paralytic condition, literally overnight, surely did not help. No need to hit him below the belt - he has absorbed and overcome more than any one man's share. I don't condone his actions, but there for the grace of God go I.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 12:25 (Ref:683639)   #32
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
and one more for the record books , this apparently is Tiff Needell testing for Williams in 1991 , something I didnt know even occured ???
IIRC this was for some promotional footage and also an article on top Gear.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 13:00 (Ref:683657)   #33
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Even Alain Menu tested a Williams in those days.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 13:01 (Ref:683658)   #34
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Even? :confused:
Old 9 Aug 2003, 23:32 (Ref:683913)   #35
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
ahhhhh well there you go , I seem to recall an episode of Top Gear where Tiff may have actually driven a 1990 Ferrari F1 car as well , but im a bit hazy on that one.
Old 10 Aug 2003, 10:03 (Ref:684123)   #36
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Its also interesting to note that in the picture of Moreno testing the McLaren , there is no signage on the tyres ?

makes you wonder if this was some secret tyre test or simply a case of mcLaren wanting tyres to quickly ??
Old 10 Aug 2003, 22:37 (Ref:684573)   #37
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
ahhhhh well there you go , I seem to recall an episode of Top Gear where Tiff may have actually driven a 1990 Ferrari F1 car as well , but im a bit hazy on that one.
I remember a drag race type comparison between an F1 car and a road car. I can't remember if he drive the Ferrari F1 car round a track.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 10:11 (Ref:684842)   #38
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oooooooooo! lovely pictures.

Cheers guys.

I remember Menu testing the Williams.
It was one of those days when no Williams drivers were available. In 1993 when I don't think they had hired a test driver yet because Hill had just been promoted to the race team.

I remember reading about it in a Renault promotional magazine in my dentists waiting room.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 10:21 (Ref:684847)   #39
Wayne Kerr
Rookie

Wayne Kerr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams would let anyone test drive his cars back then.
Even Princess Anne has driven a Williams! (Has anyone got a picture of that?)
Old 11 Aug 2003, 10:25 (Ref:684848)   #40
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Menu was a contracted Williams test driver for a few seasons! he worked mainly on their stillborn CVT system which mainly consisted of a large rubber band in the transmission...
Old 11 Aug 2003, 20:35 (Ref:685493)   #41
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And Tiff also drove the 2000 Jaguar round Catalunya I remember.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 22:06 (Ref:685620)   #42
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC

I couldn't stand him, but he was a terrific driver and a great career was truly wasted by substance abuse... No need to hit him below the belt - he has absorbed and overcome more than any one man's share. I don't condone his actions, but there for the grace of God go I.
Well said, John. Its nice to know someone here has a little compassion.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 02:50 (Ref:685767)   #43
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks EERO. I can't imagine what it would be like to watch your child go from athlete to paraplegic like he has had to do.

It kind of puts all the puffing and blowing that goes on about this or that race or driver in perspective, doesn't it?

Cheers!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 10:12 (Ref:686004)   #44
Joe Machado
Rookie

Joe Machado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe Al Jr. has good funding from the Alcoholic Anonimous organization.........
Old 12 Aug 2003, 12:06 (Ref:686108)   #45
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
The Moon Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Machado
I believe Al Jr. has good funding from the Alcoholic Anonimous organization.........
come on guys. you have all had a bit of fun at Al Unser Jr's expense now. We all have to accept that he has got over his problems and is still racing competitively in the IRL. That takes a lot of courage.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 12:51 (Ref:686168)   #46
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Agreed.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 16:57 (Ref:686381)   #47
Peter B

Quote:
I remember that!

IIRC, it was around the time of the F50 launch, and Top Gear compared the old Mansell/Prost F1 car with the supposedly F1 inspired F50.

Old 13 Aug 2003, 05:58 (Ref:686841)   #48
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
yeah I think thats right , all I can really remember is the huge smile on Tiff's face and rightly so to

I cant remember how much driving he actually did but even if it was just a drag comparrison thats enough to get the blodd pumping.