Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Sep 2003, 15:37 (Ref:734223)   #1
Edmonton
Racer

Edmonton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al Unser Jr.

I heard on speed forum that Robin Miller on RPM2Day reported little Al has approached Walker racing about returning to cart.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 16:03 (Ref:734258)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Don't know about the rest of you, but I'd welcome him back with open arms.

I find it highly unlikely, though. (Although a one-off at Long Beach would be a wise choice!) He's arguably past his prime, but then again you never know, given the right equipment..?
Old 29 Sep 2003, 17:00 (Ref:734343)   #3
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only if he's going to replace Lavin. Otherwise Manning and Valiante deserve the rides at Walker.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 20:54 (Ref:734582)   #4
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say welcome back Little Al! If you think about it for a minute it makes perfect sense.

1. His son is in the CART ladder system and would race many of the same weekends.
2. He doesn't want to get seriously injured in the IRL late in his career.
3. CART fans still like him.
4. He was grilling burgers with the Newman-Haas boys in St. Pete.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 23:33 (Ref:734690)   #5
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Little Al was NOT a traitor. He went to the series which would hire him. Penske fired, an IRL team hired. He is a CART icon and I really don't see anyone telling him no. I'm almost positive he wouldn't be with a front runner, but he's not with a front runner in the IRL either. I would love to see him return.
Old 29 Sep 2003, 23:38 (Ref:734694)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would anyone tell him no? Sure any team that won't just hire a driver because they can bring sponsorship and/or cash. Remember before no one would hire him because he was driving VERY SLOW. (he still had some decent oval performances)

Sorry Al, don't think you can cut it in CART. If he's a Lavin replacement then I'm fine with that. A warm body in a car with sponsorship because they Mexican or because they were once a terrific driver doesn't bother me.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 00:14 (Ref:734712)   #7
varsitypride3
Rookie

varsitypride3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you replace lavin you lose a big sponsor who could afford to go 2 cars... corona isn't exactly struggling, and they want Mexican drivers.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 11:02 (Ref:735172)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Al Jr would be welcome back into CART, as he's had a real resurgance in IRL form this year, undoubtedly down to the changes in his prviate life, and he looks like a match for guys like Castro Neves and Dixon again.

Trouble is, Lavin's s[onsorship looks pretty secure, Mannign and Vailante both deserve drives, and I doubt Derrick can contemplate running 4 cars.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 12:09 (Ref:735239)   #9
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al Unser Jr. had his moment in CART and I think it's time (next few years) to see younger American drivers join CART....Allmendinger, Fogarty, Hand, Orsi, Bell...
Old 30 Sep 2003, 12:23 (Ref:735246)   #10
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, Dov,

Despite his name, Hoover Orsi is not American, he is Brazilian. His dad liked the word "hoover" and named the kid after that.

Leo (Leonardo) Mata, who is dominating Barber Dodge this year (after running very well in 2002 too) races under Brazilian and American flags. He was born in Brazil but his family immigrated to the United States (Oakland, if I am not mistaken) when he was very young.

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 30 Sep 2003, 13:34 (Ref:735333)   #11
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Thanks for clearing that up, Muzza.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 13:56 (Ref:735361)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mata does seem to be something special.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 17:32 (Ref:735603)   #13
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maia
Old 30 Sep 2003, 18:34 (Ref:735674)   #14
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Unser back in CART? It'd be interesting to see, certainly. He had a good patch in the middle of this season in the IRL, and I even wondered if he might have a shot at the title, but then we have seen in the past drivers who are past their best yet still able to cut it on ovals (Fittipaldi and Andretti spring to mind). I suspect, unfortunately, that Little Al would struggle in CART, and it wouldn't be a dignified sight. Stay in the IRL where a few more race wins might still come your way, then bow out gracefully.
Old 30 Sep 2003, 19:01 (Ref:735702)   #15
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How long does he have left anyway?

I don't think he has much than a year (2 tops) left anyway!
Old 30 Sep 2003, 23:22 (Ref:736032)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Whoops my bad. (I do know the difference!) ...Anyway, it sounds like there's a good chance he'll be with RuSport next year.
Old 1 Oct 2003, 03:33 (Ref:736185)   #17
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Maia to test RuSport Toyota Atlantic car

From cart.com:http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=7155
Old 1 Oct 2003, 03:56 (Ref:736198)   #18
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So he may not have many years left, I say lets get him back. he can still race a couple years and would love to see him do a farwell tour like Mario did his last year. I personally would love to see him end his career in champ cars, he was one of the best and still has little bit left.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 01:09 (Ref:737332)   #19
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
He brings name recognition, he is an American and he once dominated the series. If he has his personal issues squared away, why not? If the series had room for Alex Yoong and the flavor of the week at Coyne, then this would be good for Little Al and the series.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 4 Oct 2003, 11:59 (Ref:740248)   #20
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he does come back lets hope he can get a team that can get him near the front.

It would be a shame if he last year of racing is around the back like Vasser this year!
Old 4 Oct 2003, 15:09 (Ref:740334)   #21
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by evo
Maia
Oh, man! Thanks for the correction, Evo - that was pretrty bad! I don't know where I had my mind when I typed that.

By the way, Leonardo is a very, very nice guy. I had the cahnce of talking to him twice last year and once in 2003, and he suprised me by his willingness to discuss the set-up of his car, and the strategy for the race..

Of course, being a Barber Dodge driver makes his agenda more open to talk to people in the paddock than if he was running, say, Atlantics, but nevertheless I was taken by the depth of his comments. No PR, no BS - just racing.

Yes, he is a talent in the making.

Cheers,

Muzza