Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Dec 2000, 14:41 (Ref:54187)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

ITV targets Mansell for 2001

1992 Formula 1 World Champion could join commentary team

Ex-Formula 1 World Champion Nigel Mansell could join ITV's Grand Prix commentary team next year.

ITV has admitted that it is in negotiation with the 47-year-old to become one of its studio experts. Mansell guested alongside Tony Jardine and Jim Rosenthal at this year's British Grand Prix, but the deal under discussion could be for up to a dozen races.

An ITV spokesman said: "We'd like to see a lot more of Nigel because he's very popular with the viewers. We have spoken to Nigel and will continue to do so, but as yet there is no agreement."

Mansell was unavailable for comment.

ITV has said that other "well-known faces in F1" could also be seen in the studio over the course of 2001. No names were mentioned, but Stirling Moss and Jody Scheckter have both been guest experts in the last year.

The spokesman said Mansell's recruitment would be part of efforts to "continually upgrade and add to" ITV's GP coverage.

-------------

I'd certainly prefer him to Scheckter, but - do we want to hear Nige whinge through 17 GPs per year?
Old 25 Dec 2000, 18:00 (Ref:54195)   #2
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Mansell, No Scheckter. Get Johnny in there - he would be the perfect studio pundit.

Old 25 Dec 2000, 19:57 (Ref:54210)   #3
GURRYP
Racer

GURRYP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mansell, they must be kidding. Must be a ITV plot to get us mad, then announce the REAL person the've signed, because even though our Nigel was a world champion driver, he ain't no commentator, sorry.

Gurryp
Old 26 Dec 2000, 04:14 (Ref:54262)   #4
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please NOOOOOO!!!!!

Somebody at ITV needs to be taken back to the asylum!

What could be worse... Simon Taylor perhaps?
Old 26 Dec 2000, 17:00 (Ref:54299)   #5
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Damon then?
Old 26 Dec 2000, 19:39 (Ref:54312)   #6
GURRYP
Racer

GURRYP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Why the obsession with more ex-drivers for ITV, they've already got Martin Brundle. You need a "proffessional" commentator, not another ex-driver. All sports coverage uses a mixture of "experts" & commentators. So what ITV need is an established, enthusiastic, broadcaster with a passion for motorsport, not Nigel or Damon.

Gurryp
Old 26 Dec 2000, 19:59 (Ref:54314)   #7
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Oh no...not Nigel Mansell! He would be one of the most boring people to grace a commentary box.
Old 26 Dec 2000, 20:11 (Ref:54318)   #8
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I understand that Murray Walker bloke will be at a loose end after 2001...

Perhaps ITV could hire him in 2002?

By the way, did anyone see Murray on the Clarkson Christmas show? He did a spoof snooker commentary!

And there was a 'Murray-ism' award presented by Damon.

Great stuff...!
Old 26 Dec 2000, 20:12 (Ref:54319)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
While I'm still of the opinion that the best decision would to be to offer Murray a new 50-year contract, with a massive payrise, I am prepared to accept that someone new may have to be hired one of these days...

Anyone considered Mike Smith?

Yes, that Mike Smith. He's a proven TV presenter, he's not got the worst voice in the world, and he knows his stuff when it comes to motor sport.

Heck, he's even been a competitive driver in the BTCC before now, and any driver who can get in Frank Sytner's way quite so often is all right by me!

And I also know that his name was on the list when ITV first got the contract for F1. Not for commentator, but for studio anchorman. Instead, we got Jim Rosenthal, a Grand Prix presenter who by his own admission knew sweet naff all about the sport before he started.

So my vote goes to Mike Smith. Just no one let him anywhere near the helicopters....
Old 27 Dec 2000, 00:52 (Ref:54369)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, Sparky, I saw the Murray amd Clarkson show too - class!! Actually, there's an idea to liven things up - how about Clarkson and Brundle ? He's a self-declared petrol head and F1 nut, and it would be worth watching the races for the commentary alone - boring race or not!

Seriously, why are they overlooking the obvious such as the Eurosport guy who do the coverage for CART ? Forget the name, but he's pretty useful. Maybe he's a bit too much of a 'straight man' to put alongside Brundle ? So... if you're looking for someone to liven things up, how about Julian Ryder from bike racing ? The guy is a comic genius!

Or they could be really brave and punt for an outsider such as Alan Hyde - I hear he's pretty good Just make sure it's not David Adolfson and we'll all be happy
Old 27 Dec 2000, 01:25 (Ref:54374)   #11
Sparky
Veteran

I don't think Clarkson describing the Williams as having the engine of "...a Nazi Staff Car.." would go down too well, would it?!

It certainly wouldn't be boring though, that's for sure!

Isn't the 'Eurosport Guy' Brian Edwards, or something similar?

Great suggestion, though.

Old 27 Dec 2000, 02:41 (Ref:54377)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
That's the guy - BEN Edwards...

LOL to the nazi staff car - forgot about that comment Actually, that makes me think that it definately should be him!! As you say, he'd certainly liven things up!!! Mind you, god knows what he'd get up to when he got bored... I seem to recall him microwaving a gallon of petrol on TV once... hmmm...
Old 27 Dec 2000, 03:03 (Ref:54380)   #13
Sparky
Veteran

Ben Edwards... That's 'im! He's knowledgable enough. A bit flat in the personality stakes, though.

But he's certainly better than the Sky Sports twit who drones on and on while commentating NASCAR races.

By the way, where do I sign for the 'Mr Clarkson to F1-ITV' petition?

Old 30 Dec 2000, 19:39 (Ref:54964)   #14
wodonnell
Racer

wodonnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mansell did some commentary during the British GP this year. I think he sat in on the qualifying session. He didn't say a great deal and it was pretty dull stuff.

Scheckter did an OK job when he did the San Marino GP. The only problem was that he seemed to have "Stirling Moss Syndrome" and kept comparing everything to when he was racing, which doesn't work too well when the sport has changed so much.

Derek Warwick and Mark Blundell filled for Martin Brundle at the Canadian GP the last couple of years. Warwick was pretty terrible but Blundell did a fairly good job. Then again, as already mentioned here, we need a commentator and not a second "expert".

Mike Smith may be a possibility but has he done any actual commentary before? I think as a replacement for Rosenthal he would be excellent though.

Ben Edwards did a good job when Eurosport used to show F1 and can get just as excitable as Murray does. I would love to hear Ben Edwards doing F1 again but then there would be nobody to cover CART.
Old 30 Dec 2000, 20:58 (Ref:54978)   #15
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Yep - give us Ben Edwards! Watched the CART review on Eurosport - the guy certainly does get excited at times... I reckon the 'dream team' would be him, Julian Ryder and Brundle. Sounds good to me.

And sod who commentates on CART - it's good enough to go live WITHOUT a bloody commentator! Though I hear Mark Blundell and Johnny Herbert are out of work...
Old 30 Dec 2000, 23:52 (Ref:55034)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
How about Barry Shean

I have seen barry commentate in both Bike and car races. He is very personable and seems to be able to interview lots of managers and getting heaps of information from them. He is respected by everyone he interviews, and he is charming, has a clear voice, and gets a bit excited when a bike (most notably Gary McCoy, sorry for spelling) starts to wobble. I think Barry is great.
Old 31 Dec 2000, 00:29 (Ref:55057)   #17
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
'I don't believe it...!'

Nah - let's save Bazzer for emergencies only please...