Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 23 Oct 2000, 03:31 (Ref:44176)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Any idea, what's your pick at this stage??

Here's some classic quotes by the man himself...
"Every once and a while we have races like this, there were a lot of guys driving crazily -- it’s just not right.
Oriol Servia passed a load of people by missing a chicane then took out Paul Tracy, a championship contender. I don't know how some of these young guys can get rides when I can't."

-Note to Jimmy: don't run Dario and Christian off the road in future races. Or, is it wrong for Servia to hit two cars out of the way and you can?

I know he apologised to Dario, but from the sounds of things , he is sounding a bit desperate. I guess none of the international viewers heard his radio conversation after a pit stop, where Christian got out ahead of him: "This is terrible."
Old 23 Oct 2000, 04:36 (Ref:44181)   #2
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now Now

It's difficult to be too hard on Jimmy. He did win a race this year after all. Don't tell me it's NASCAR for him....

Who takes Blundel's seat?
Old 23 Oct 2000, 05:22 (Ref:44184)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Well, I could suggest Martin Brundle - Martin is probably a better driver than Mark. OOPS!! I suppose I have stood on sombody's toes!!
I just love this blue guy with the sad face.
Old 23 Oct 2000, 07:06 (Ref:44202)   #4
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
scott dixon is taking blundells seat (thank goodness)...c'mon crash test, jimmy running dario of the road at the first chicane when there is a crash in front of them was nothing like servia and tracy.....cant comment on fittipaldi as channell 10 didnt show that one i dont think
i hope jimmy gets a ride though....what would yo do : go to irl or nascar?
Old 23 Oct 2000, 07:16 (Ref:44207)   #5
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So Scott Dixon has a go in the big league. Good luck to him. NASCAR or IRL? I'll take the money please...
Old 23 Oct 2000, 11:35 (Ref:44236)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Still you've got to be paying attention to what you are doing...it wasn't terribly smart to hit Dario in the rear...and he got Christian in a rather stupid move up the inside at left hander off the beach side of the course, however Christian didn't go off track until something broke on the car at the next turn.

In my eyes, Tracy planting Papis into the scenery was an absolute shocker...honestly...how can people say that Servia is a naughty little boy, compared to how Paul dudded Max...
Old 23 Oct 2000, 11:48 (Ref:44237)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jimmy needs to have a word with Moreno about how to get a drive - and it's not by running other drivers down, because that impugns the judgment of the guy who hired them, which never puts that guy on your side.

VB, the "sad guy with the blue face" is probably Mark Blundell. Every time I saw him in Toronto he looked like that.
Old 25 Oct 2000, 05:04 (Ref:44612)   #8
Airhead
Veteran

In my eyes, Tracy planting Papis into the scenery was an absolute shocker...honestly...how can people say that Servia is a naughty little boy, compared to how Paul dudded Max...

Crash Test,

if you are talking Surfers, didn't Jason Bright hit the back of Mad Max and take him out? Not Tracey?
Old 25 Oct 2000, 07:27 (Ref:44628)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Nono. The series of events were as follows:
Mikey's BBQ brought out the yellow.
On the restart, Moreno lost it and Bright hit Papis, with Bright out and Papis continuing.
On the next restart Paul nerfed Max out of the stadium, which cause the traffic jam which put Servia ahead of Paul. Later that lap, Paul hit the wall.

It was an absolute shocker, have a close look at the one replay they showed off it...
Old 25 Oct 2000, 07:41 (Ref:44634)   #10
Airhead
Veteran

I'll have to spring the extra next year for a grand stand seat with a TV! Umm, maybe even a bar and waitresses and..
Old 25 Oct 2000, 10:45 (Ref:44661)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Nah, just set the VCR and hope like hell there aren't any red flags like 94 or 97....
Old 25 Oct 2000, 11:03 (Ref:44665)   #12
Airhead
Veteran

Why not get organised an we can share the drinks bill..

I promise not to eat much.
Old 25 Oct 2000, 11:17 (Ref:44672)   #13
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
A group of us who had to lug down from Brisbane for the 3 days vowed next year we would get a place down there...the more the merrier I say

Don't eat much? What about those alcoholic ice blocks?
Old 25 Oct 2000, 11:29 (Ref:44679)   #14
Airhead
Veteran

Sounds good, count me in. It's a shame it's vitually a year away!
Old 25 Oct 2000, 20:51 (Ref:44779)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
anyone want to sponsor my entirely educational just thought of trip to oz next year? yeah, i was planning it around the date of the surfers weekend. entirely coincidental of course. i like the sound of these alcoholic ice blocks and drivers up for anything....uh, i mean the rock formations in the area around surfers paradise and the pollution race cars add to the atmosphere.....
Old 25 Oct 2000, 22:41 (Ref:44801)   #16
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Bella: The rock formation you are talking about must be Mount Tamborine. It has a fantastic view of surfers, you can sort of make out which skyscapers the cars go around
Old 25 Oct 2000, 23:45 (Ref:44823)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting back to Jimmy, for some reason, I saw that he was offered a poss with Mo Nunn Racing and his take on it was a very ungracious "Well, I don't want it, but there doesn't seem to be much choice out there so I may be forced to take it."

NOno Jimmy, you COULD simply go home to Las Vegas and pout for a year, and leave the Mo Nunn Racing seat for some Brazilian kid who actually wants to race. Get a grip, Jimmy.
Old 26 Oct 2000, 00:03 (Ref:44833)   #18
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
It seems to me Jimmy has stolen Mikey's attitude...that's 2 stupid things to fall from his mouth in recent times...

Does this mean that Mikey and Paul will get along next season?
Does this mean that when Mikey retires he is going to sign all of those autographs he's declined?
Old 26 Oct 2000, 02:09 (Ref:44878)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Maybe that's something he can learn from Paul and Dario, who always sign autographs with a smile, even if it's a frazzled smile ...

If Jimmy expects someone to come calling on him with a contract and a bouquet of red long-stemmed roses, I think he's in the wrong line of work.
Old 26 Oct 2000, 07:38 (Ref:44885)   #20
Airhead
Veteran

Come on now he's not all that bad, he just needs some certainty in his professional life. And another win, like on the weekend. If he beats Montoya I'm gunna behave badly in these forums.....And if Paul wins, well look out!!

As an aside I had a $20 dollar a race bet with a friend of Teutonic origin over Shiitemaker and Mika. I was doing so well for three races on a double or nothing deal. I should have just taken the money at that stage and ran...
Old 26 Oct 2000, 11:46 (Ref:44932)   #21
Liz
Veteran

I am a rotten gambler. I bet on Frenzy to win the WDC. Maybe next year.

As for certainty in racing, tell it to Moreno. First you have to prove you're worth taking a gamble on. And if you can get Servias who is young and needs a bit of stepping on but will give you years of good speed and wins, or Grumpy Old Jimmy who apparently believes the world owes him a drive at Nweman-Haas, well, that's not a hard decision for most guys to make.

Besides which you can probably get Servias cheaper, and he's got sponsorship money to bring. All Jimmy's got, it seems, is his attitude.
Old 26 Oct 2000, 12:35 (Ref:44957)   #22
Airhead
Veteran

Liz,

youre agruments are covinsive but i"m still not convinved, Jimminie won this year, did Ariol (attittedly he drove well)?
I don't particululary like to bring nationalities into it but as an American is Kimminie worth more to sponsors. I know this is cruel but am interested inpeoples view.

Did you happen to find my post on the finishing record of Gil if he had had a Penske for the last two years. I would be interested in your thoughts. Come on down to surfers next year will offer accommodation for free.

Regards

Moffatt

Old 26 Oct 2000, 23:55 (Ref:45106)   #23
Liz
Veteran

Wish I could manage to get to Surfer's - I haven't been to Australia since 1990 and that is too long! I'm hoping to win Lotto and get to the Race of 1,000 years as I have a friend in Adelaide who would be glad to give me house space. But I am not holding my breath.

Didn't find the post re Gil yet but will look for it.

We'll see what happens with Jimmy. Perhaps he could race in NASCAR (pardon my French) for a year and would do as well as Scott Pruett et al. have done - and then come back to CART in a better mood?