Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Oct 2003, 11:45 (Ref:749377)   #1
Steve Wood
Racer

Steve Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington Night Race

If there are any marshals who are not already involved in this meeting, but would like to assist in the pit lane for the Britcar (qualifying and race) only, then you would be most welcome. The duties would include policing (and timing)the mandatory pitstops.

Tickets will be provided, of course. Contact James Tucker via the EERC website:- www.eerc.co.uk
Old 13 Oct 2003, 11:47 (Ref:749380)   #2
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are you not using the BRSCC regular team of pit marshals?
Old 13 Oct 2003, 12:08 (Ref:749413)   #3
james tucker
Racer

james tucker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes we are using all currant BRSCC staff but as usual we
that is the EERC like to ensure extra support, thus making our pitlane as safe as possible.
sportingly
james
Old 13 Oct 2003, 12:09 (Ref:749417)   #4
Steve Wood
Racer

With 37 cars pitting for fuel / tyres / driver changes within a probable half-hour window, and with most of them probably actually pitting within a fifteen-minute window, things can get pretty intense. With the mandatory 90-second minimum pit-stop time and pitlane speed limit to be policed, and the other obvious safety issues, the EERC welcomes assistance over that which can be reasonably expected from the marshals of the organising club. There is already a small contingent of EERC officials performing these tasks, but, with the number of cars, and the night (but illuminated) conditions, they would like to augment the team with experienced people.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 15:38 (Ref:749752)   #5
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
no offence.....but isnt this a bit of a stupid rule....37 cars having to exactly 90 second pit stops...how are you going to manage if all the cars come in on the same lap?......jus let em fuel and go.....of course it adds to the danger aswell....37 potential fireballs.....
Old 13 Oct 2003, 15:48 (Ref:749768)   #6
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think the idea is so that they rush to much putting fuel in. If they all have to stand there for 90 seconds then they wont all be running around (but I bet they still do )
Old 13 Oct 2003, 15:51 (Ref:749770)   #7
Steve Wood
Racer

Minimum 90 seconds, not exactly 90 seconds.

If all the cars came in on the same lap, we would struggle, which is the very point of starting this thread in the first place.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 17:50 (Ref:749971)   #8
delta37
Rookie

delta37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whats the date of this here meeting, or are you keeping it a secret from the very people you want to come and help you.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 18:17 (Ref:750011)   #9
Steve Wood
Racer

Sorry, I thought it was well known by now - next Saturday, October 18th. We qualify at 17.15 and race around 18.10 for 100 minutes.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 18:27 (Ref:751205)   #10
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit late to spring on marshals isnt it 4 days notice for a late finishing race? I suppose you want everyone back for 8 o'clock Sunday morning aswell?
Old 14 Oct 2003, 18:57 (Ref:751241)   #11
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve, this has been discussed since last week, it's more than the 4 days you say, the only problem is those outside the 10/10ths network might not know about it
Old 14 Oct 2003, 20:12 (Ref:751348)   #12
Steve Wood
Racer

Steve, I don't want anybody back anytime, and I'm not springing anything on anybody.

Read again, and you'll find I'm asking any marshals who are NOT ALREADY INVOLVED if they would like to help out in the pitlane for the BRITCAR RACE ONLY.

I sympathise with your plight, but perhaps your disdain belongs on a more general thread.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 20:49 (Ref:751398)   #13
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve Wood surely you can see by the replies you have had marshals on this forum were not aware that there was a night race added to a two day meeting. A lot of marshals volunteer for both days of a two day meeting, often using the saturday night to get together with fellow marshals. (Please see other threads)Its fine if we know what we are volunteering for. 24 hours at Snetterton (2CV, Willhire)
TOCA night races. But to get this sprung on us at less than a weeks notice is a bit much.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 20:54 (Ref:751404)   #14
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Wood
Read again, and you'll find I'm asking any marshals who are NOT ALREADY INVOLVED if they would like to help out in the pitlane for the BRITCAR RACE ONLY.
I may well be available but would love to know just what Britcar is?

Also, just what duty could an 18yr veteran of "The Bank" with only Champ Car & IndyCar Pit experience expect?

Old 15 Oct 2003, 08:18 (Ref:751823)   #15
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stu, check your PM's
Old 16 Oct 2003, 11:45 (Ref:753139)   #16
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by crazystu
Also, just what duty could an 18yr veteran of "The Bank" with only Champ Car & IndyCar Pit experience expect?

Much the same as the rest of us would do at any other meeting with the added interest of timing the stops and possibly writing reports on infringements

Old 16 Oct 2003, 12:11 (Ref:753159)   #17
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stu

I did not think you knew where Donington was.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 16:21 (Ref:753429)   #18
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fay
Stu

I did not think you knew where Donington was.
You've got me all wrong !

It's just that sometimes I WISH I did not know where Donington was!!
Old 17 Oct 2003, 10:59 (Ref:754235)   #19
Steve Wood
Racer

Sorry folks, been abroad on business for a few days, unable to respond.

Flagwaver, marshals complaints are being voiced elsewhere on ten-tenths, and the reason I started THIS thread was to enrol people, for the EERC's particular duties. The marshals who have had had this night race "sprung" on them were/are already fully involved, and this is a clarion call to people who are not yet involved, like our friend crazystu.

Crazystu, sorry I wasn't around to respond immediately, but hope you got to the EERC website and sorted something out.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 18:39 (Ref:757307)   #20
flying muppet
Veteran

England
Deepest Shropshire
flying muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the night race was excellent! It was an amazing spectacle as the field plunged down the Craner Curves in darkness (complete darkness for one of the cars whose lights had failed).

It was a shame it only lasted 50 mins, and was punctuated by two safety car periods.