Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jun 2002, 16:33 (Ref:312798)   #1
Mark F1
Racer

Mark F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will F1 ever have a night race?

A couple of years ago, there was a rumor that the Malaysian GP could be run at night, but obviously nothing ever came of the idea. But do you think an F1 race will ever be run at night?

Apart from the sportscar races at Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring etc, in the past the British Touring Car Championship have held very successful night races and they are quite common in both Nascar and the IRL too.

The only real reason why there has never been an F1 night race is due to safety. You obviously wouldn't be able to see marshall's waving there flags in the dark, but there has been talk of replacing flags with lights in the cockpits of cars in the future. And, I'm sure that if each corner and marshall's post on a track was sufficiently well lit and the cars were painted in a fluorescent colour scheme which was very visable then the idea could become a reality one day.

Just imagine, a Williams racing in the dark with the brake disc's glowing bright red !!

Old 13 Jun 2002, 16:51 (Ref:312807)   #2
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Illuminating an entire track would be prohibitively expensive and I doubt anyone would want to to install drivining lights on an F1. Its a moot point, really.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 17:38 (Ref:312855)   #3
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a bit of a stupid idea really. I know Touring Cars do it but really F1 racing is for the daytime.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 17:55 (Ref:312872)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In mentioning Malaysia...

EERO's point about it being expensive is correct, but the night race was proposed by the Malaysian organisers. So I wouldn't say the cost is prohibitive. I believe they saw a night race as a way to avoid the incredible heat and humidity they always have.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 13 Jun 2002, 18:14 (Ref:312891)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A night race in Malaysia would be good for us Europeans as it would be on at a more sociable time (7am is really irritating- too early to ahve your sunday lunch with it, but too late to stay up for it after a saturday night on the tiles). It would cost a lot though.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 19:31 (Ref:312962)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hey, 7 am start is uncivilized, is it? It's a way of life over here, matey. But we New Worlders are a bit savage, what?

Last edited by paul-collins; 13 Jun 2002 at 19:31.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 13 Jun 2002, 20:12 (Ref:313008)   #7
Epsilon
Racer

Canada
Hamilton, ON, Canada
Epsilon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
(7am is really irritating).
Never mind midnight twice a year for Japan and Australia, and 2:00 am for Malaysia.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 01:00 (Ref:313193)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's a 7am?!?!?!?

As for a night-race, it would be interesting to see but IMO safety would be the biggest issue, plus I don't want to see headlights on an F1 car. How ugly!!
Old 14 Jun 2002, 02:18 (Ref:313224)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'd have to be at an oval that's already illuminated, then they'd just add light in the infield... NASCAR and the IRL race at night here, but not down in the infield. It is possible, but not with any of the present venues. The German GP'd have to move to Lausitz, for instance.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 03:12 (Ref:313248)   #10
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually the Sepang circuit in Malaysia had already hosted night races before for the 24 hours merdeka endurance and it's an annual event race but because of safety reasons eventhough there are floodlights around the circuit...it's not feasible for formula1.

Last edited by Jukebox; 14 Jun 2002 at 03:14.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 11:21 (Ref:313453)   #11
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Is there a single posative reason for running a F1 race at night?

No, didn't think so.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 11:33 (Ref:313460)   #12
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see it happening, I mean, who would benefit? No one really...it's easy for touring cars, they've already got lights and are slower - but you can just shove huge lights on an open wheeler like that...
Old 14 Jun 2002, 12:26 (Ref:313490)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
Originally posted by steve_r
Is there a single posative reason for running a F1 race at night?
There are two, and both relate to Malaysia, as stated above:

1) Racing at night would have cooler temperatures (more like 25C instead of the current 35C+) --> Participant comfort

2) Television would play at a more civilised time for F1's main money-stream - Europe. --> Fan comfort

I don't think the overriding safety concerns were small enough for F1 to do it, though.

So there's no confusion, my preference is for no night races.

-Bill James
Old 14 Jun 2002, 12:51 (Ref:313517)   #14
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"A night race in Malaysia would be good for us Europeans as it would be on at a more sociable time (7am is really irritating- too early to ahve your sunday lunch with it, but too late to stay up for it after a saturday night on the tiles). It would cost a lot though."

Try us Australians We had to watch the Canadian GP at 2.50am.

As for night races in F1 they never will happen.

In the aussy v8's they ran a dusk race but the twits set up the cameras so on TV it looked like it was day time. STUPID
Old 14 Jun 2002, 14:49 (Ref:313601)   #15
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like early morning races, it means the race starts earlier and I like it that way. No more "I can't wait till the start," you just wake up and switch on the TV. Trouble is if you oversleep, as I have done once. Lazy friend couldn't be bothered to wake me up

Good reason for night races- laser shows for when the race gets boring

Last edited by Nicholas; 14 Jun 2002 at 14:51.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"