Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 17 Sep 2005, 17:41 (Ref:1410014)   #1
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Your all time favorite video games

I was reviewing yesterday a couple of old console games that gave me hours and hours of fun. So it got me thinking about the most entertaining games I've played and I would surely be interested in hearing about other people's all time favorite video games. For me (in a somewhat chronological order)

Enduro racing (aka grand prix) - Atari 2600: What can I say, I almost developed arthritis on my left thumb for playing that game so often.
Accolade's grand prix racing - PC: My first taste of real F1 tracks
Super mario bros 3 - Nintendo entertainment system: The pinnacle of 8 bit gaming
Leisure suit larry 1- PC: Je je je.
Ayrton senna's super monaco GP 2 - Sega genesis: Not only was Senna on the game but it had all the tracks.
Doom (and sequels)- PC: Only doom (and its sequels) have made me feel genuine fear. Seeing the cyberdemon for the first time almost gave me a heart attack.
Pirates gold - PC: probably the only strategy game I've enjoyed.
grand prix 2 - PC: Excessive realism
Grand prix legends - PC: What can I say....
Unreal - Finally another FPS game. Great story, great graphics, great gameplay. Too bad the sequel was such a disappointment.
Mobil 1 British rally championship - PC: For me the best rally game to date. It's a shame nobody is making rally games with really long stages.
Grand theft auto Vice city - PC: Sure, San andreas is better but VC caught me completely off guard.
Half life 2 - PC: Played it before HL1. Blew me away. Not only the graphics but the excellent storyline and the atmosphere of the game....breathtaking.

BTW, I only had NES, Atari 2600, Sega genesis for a couple of months and a PC all my life, hence the bias.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 19:33 (Ref:1410051)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Here are mine:

Llamatron - Atari ST - Superb, really basic but hugely addictive psychadelic blaster.
Xenon 2 - Atari ST - The greatest shoot em up ever (how many add on weapons!)
Sensible Soccer - Atari ST - Classic
Gauntlet - Atari ST - multi player post pub action.
Championship Manager - Atari ST - Those dull winter evenings were held no fear, whole days could be lost playing this.
Doom - PC - Ground breaking game, there had been others before it but Doom just blew everything away.
TOCA Touring Cars 2 - PS One - The best wheel to wheel racer I've played.
Colin McRae Rally (1 - 2005) - PS One/PS2 - Great fun. All of them. Love the group B cars

Quite sad really but most of my favourites appear to be ST based - they just don't make 'em like they used to!
Old 18 Sep 2005, 22:25 (Ref:1410907)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Llamatron: "Oh yeah" shareware too. Atari ST too. Mmmmm.

GP1 and GP2. and Supercars, I hacked that to death - it became so much better when you removed the weapons (the computer cars stopped blowing each other up and it was harder to win!).
Old 1 Oct 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1421516)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Man, I have played so many games that it's hard to remember all of them...

I usually don't mix the console with the PC, because PC games were always more intense...

The Atari era were all so great - maybe because it was "a new technology" - but Pitfall and Pac Man still are in my memories...
Super Mario or the likes - SNES - addictive, I remember my ex-wife complaining about me and the kid playing up until the dawn...
Doom - It's on every true game player minds from the pre-history of the PC. "Fear" ? I just laugh when I remember how petrified I used to be playing in the dark with that sounds from the pc speaker !!!!
Civilization - from the first up to the III (here comes the IV) - one of the few games that never were deleted from my HD. A must have for strategy fanatics.
Tomb Raider - The first. A true amazing experience in the PS one. The plot, the sexy heroin and the 3D environment, just great at that time.
Geoff's Grand Prix series - Needless to say...
Grand Prix Legends - take a look around

Some underdogs:

Outcast - Great history, nice graphics and somehow never had a sequel...
Out of this world - that was sci fic in the top level.
Most of the Enix games - true masterpieces.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 02:13 (Ref:1421872)   #5
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Doom - It's on every true game player minds from the pre-history of the PC. "Fear" ? I just laugh when I remember how petrified I used to be playing in the dark with that sounds from the pc speaker !!!!
Indeed, up until doom 3 no game had made me feel so afraid. No matter how nice the graphics were or how good the story was. I recall a lot of people bashing Doom 3 when it came out saying that it was too suffocating, that it didn't have the "nice" atmosphere that "far cry" had nor the variety of HL2. But I think they were missing the point. The doom saga is about fear. Is about feeling terrified throughout the journey. As a hard-core doom fan (My curriculum vitae mentions the time in which I finished doom 2 in ultra violence with 100% secrets, 100% kills and 100% items without cheating) I was more than pleased with Doom 3 (and the Resurrection of evil expansion pack). Once again I came as close as can be to a hear attack
Old 2 Oct 2005, 05:28 (Ref:1421894)   #6
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those who relatively arcade-ish setup racing sim, hands down for Toca 2! The stock game is good. As well, you can mod the game with new car skins!

For multiplayer shoot up game, Star Wars Clone Wars
Old 2 Oct 2005, 14:01 (Ref:1422031)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All Doom games. PC/PS1
Wolfenstein. PC
Grand Prix 2. PC
Grand Prix 3. PC
LMA Manager 2002 till 2005. PS2
Championship Manager 03/04. PC - Took my own hometown team (OH Leuven) from third division to win the first division 4 times, 3x the domestic cup, 1x the UEFA Cup and 2x the Champions League!
Football Manager 5. PC
Grand Prix Legends. PC
Battlefield Vietnam 1 & 2. PC
X-Com: Terror From The Deep. PC/PS1
NASCAR Racing 2003. PC
Half Life 1 & Counterstrike up until v1.5. PC

And so on, and so on...
Old 2 Oct 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1422044)   #8
John McIlroy
Rookie

John McIlroy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me, it has to be Revs, Geoff Crammond's first sim, based on the British F3 Championship on the 32k BBC Micro. I still plays great on the Beeb emulator.

John
Old 2 Oct 2005, 15:10 (Ref:1422058)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll have to try that someday......
Old 2 Oct 2005, 20:09 (Ref:1422227)   #10
John McIlroy
Rookie

John McIlroy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was the unofficial Acorn User lap record holder for Snetterton at one time, y'know - 59.7s!

I seem to recall the game and its publisher, Acornsoft, were tied in with David Hunt's car sponsorship-wise back then.

Anyway, it still rocks.

John
Old 3 Oct 2005, 07:19 (Ref:1422485)   #11
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turbo Outrun -C64
All Test Drive - C64
Pirates - C64
Oil Imperium - C64
Speedking -C64
Ocean Decathlon -C64

Ports Of Call -PC/dos-version
Castle Wolfenstein -PC/dos-version
Return to CW -PC
Indy Racing I+II -PC
Indy500 - PC
Sports Car GT - PC
World Superbike 2001 -PC
Grand Prix Legends -PC
rFactor - PC

I havent enjoyed games like Pirates,Oil Imperium & similar on PC again . It wasnt the same feel anymore
Old 3 Oct 2005, 18:24 (Ref:1423066)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
all Sid Meier's games - civ 1-3 , railroad tycoon, both pirates, and alpha centauri(very underrated)-pc
star wars x-wing and tie-fighter-pc
ea sports nhl hockey 94 and 95 - sega genesis
john madden football- any year any platform
dune (repackage as dune 2000)- pc
gt3 -ps2
Old 4 Oct 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1423945)   #13
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In no particular order
Lemmings
Pong
Track and Field
Baku Baku
Bomberman
Sonic the Hedgehog
Pole Position
Choplifter
Sega Rally 2
Outrun
Hard Drivin'

Last edited by silver bullet; 4 Oct 2005 at 20:47. Reason: missed a couple
Old 6 Oct 2005, 06:40 (Ref:1425041)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
GPL, forst and formost - in terms of playing time it outrtips everything else by a factor of about 100:1

I used to be a Doom addict though - many years ago.

Nothing else now really.
Old 6 Oct 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1425275)   #15
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My first console was a NES, for which there were no decent racing games at all. My favourites on that were the Mario series, particularly thr original and Dr Mario, and Solstice, which was really a bit too clever for the NES.

Since getting a Playstation (and now PS2), I've been mainly into racing games, of which my favourites have been:
Formula 1 - The original, based on the 1995 season. It's follow-up, F1 '97 was also great, but why did putting 'mechanical failures' on mean you retired with fuel line failure? The FIA would be concerned I feel!!
V-Rally - Not the greatest rally game, but great for a multiple-player effort.
Colin McRae Rally - Spent hours and hours playing this and learning the stages. Easily the best rally game I've played and I even briefly got on to Codemasters' website for a couple of quickest stage times. I've never had the time, or the inclanation, to get into another rally game in the same way. It was also the first game I played with the Lancia Delta Integrale, which was definitely a bonus.
GT2 A great series of games, but GT2 remains the best for me due to its incrdible scope and the fact that you could stick body kits on most of the cars, something sadly lacking in GT4.

I'm sure I'd like GTL as well, but we had quite a low-powered PC when I had the game, and I was never really able to get the controls calibrated properly. I've been hoping it would be brought out on a console, but alas....