Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Mar 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1264537)   #1
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
video games as training

this is a jv quote i saw today on the itv web site(not sure where its from originally) “I am also going to play an F1 video game that includes this track to get used to the layout, but I will really have to find out when I get there.”

i have heard about other drivers doing this just as a way to learn the lay out because thats probably all a video game can tell you, but don't f1 teams have their own simulators like flight schools have that take all the data a team collects into account(tire ware for each track/max bhp etc.? if not i would be curious to know which game f1 drivers feels are the most realistic in terms of how their own car preforms.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 19:41 (Ref:1264567)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jacques also played Grand Prix 2 to learn tracks like Spa and such back in 1996...
Old 29 Mar 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1264569)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McLaren have a simulator definitely - I read an article about Lewis Hamilton using it
Old 29 Mar 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1264583)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anthony Davidson used it to prepare for his stand in Grand prix in 2002 with Minardi.

JV (1997 F1 CHAMPION!!):¬"I had never seen Spa before, so I watched a video of Ayrton Senna on one of his great qualifying laps from a few years a go, and I also played a new video game which gives a quite realistic impression of the track. It may sound like a childish way to get ready, but it helped me learn the basics of the layout. In the video game, my best time was only good enough for 18th on the grid, but in real life I managed to get pole."
Old 29 Mar 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1264586)   #5
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparantly BAR had one but the hard disk burned after 10 minutes of use.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1264609)   #6
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read years ago that JV had one of those giant simulators with his race seat installed on his yacht at tremendous cost.

Not that it has helped him any, but I guess it helps with new tracks to give you a basic idea of which direction to go in.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1264610)   #7
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Fernando Alonso used f1 04 software of Bahrain to learn the track and actually comented to S.C.E.E. how acurate the track was after he raced there. I assume he was not the only driver to use it but it is the only case i heard of.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 20:27 (Ref:1264617)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Williams have a pretty good simulator so ive heard..
Klien also used a playstation game to learn the tracks in 2004

Last edited by ralf fan; 29 Mar 2005 at 20:30.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 20:28 (Ref:1264618)   #9
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence
I read years ago that JV had one of those giant simulators with his race seat installed on his yacht at tremendous cost.

Not that it has helped him any, but I guess it helps with new tracks to give you a basic idea of which direction to go in.
I sappose, you'd be on the pace quicker, but drivers usually learn tracks, within 5 laps.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 23:12 (Ref:1264795)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
On a related note, I found games like TOCA 2 (1998) really helped me with racing real karts, not that it helped me learn tracks, but it did give me basic training on how a car handles (oversteer correction, understeer, straight line braking) etc.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 01:50 (Ref:1264850)   #11
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's funny because I have found that I am quicker in the racing sim after coming back from a day at the track. In the sim I just don't get that seat of the pants feel as I do in my kart.
Having said that I would love to be able to run some of my local circuits in a sim.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 30 Mar 2005, 02:06 (Ref:1264856)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jarce
Apparantly BAR had one but the hard disk burned after 10 minutes of use.
So mean...
Old 30 Mar 2005, 02:12 (Ref:1264860)   #13
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
It's funny because I have found that I am quicker in the racing sim after coming back from a day at the track. In the sim I just don't get that seat of the pants feel as I do in my kart.
Having said that I would love to be able to run some of my local circuits in a sim.
That's a good idea. Someone should invent simulation pants to get the proper effect.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 05:16 (Ref:1264923)   #14
skyblue
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
skyblue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Klein used GP2, Jag had a tub fitted with it in the 4-post room.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 06:16 (Ref:1264942)   #15
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
U would have thought he would have used GP3 or GP4 considering GP2 is from 1994.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 06:42 (Ref:1264949)   #16
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's just a pity there isn't GP5.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 08:05 (Ref:1265002)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
U would have thought he would have used GP3 or GP4 considering GP2 is from 1994.
He may well have done this time. ASCII Man was referring to when he learnt tracks back in 1996. JV has done this before. I've used it too, it certainly helps you get a feel for the circuit. I think it can save you a few laps in practice.

10 Tenths has a virtual racers forum where the games can be discussed in detail: http://tentenths.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60
Old 30 Mar 2005, 11:14 (Ref:1265132)   #18
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence
I read years ago that JV had one of those giant simulators with his race seat installed on his yacht at tremendous cost...
No wonder he thinks the Sauber handles funny...
Old 30 Mar 2005, 11:32 (Ref:1265155)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
It's just a pity there isn't GP5.
The last I heard was that Infogrames were developing a GP5 title, but without the assistance of G.Crammond.

I take it that is total BS as that was announced back in 2002.

Its a real shame, as I really enjoyed GP2, GP3 and GP4, despite being graphically unimpressive upon its release (GP4 got slated in the gaming press on its release for graphically looking like a 2 year old game. It was also slated for featuring a terrible awful graphics engine in terms of effeciency).

Last edited by Sodemo; 30 Mar 2005 at 11:34.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1265185)   #20
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've used Gran Turismo to learn the full Nurburgring Nordschleife. I'm going there again in May so we'll see if you really can take the Flugplatz flat in a Fiesta...
Old 30 Mar 2005, 14:00 (Ref:1265315)   #21
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbryant
I've used Gran Turismo to learn the full Nurburgring Nordschleife. I'm going there again in May so we'll see if you really can take the Flugplatz flat in a Fiesta...
I hope you are kidding me
Old 30 Mar 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1265329)   #22
KevinS
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
KevinS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
GP2 was released in June 1995, the cars in it are from 1994. GP3 is from 1999 with the cars from 1998.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1265335)   #23
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It must be PS2's F1 04. It's the only game that has Bahrain on it. Unless drivers dowloaded mods and tracks!

On an earlier comment, did Jacques have a yacht? I recall him saying they'd given him one for winning the Indy 500, but that he planned to sell it.
Normal...considering he spends large amounts of time in Switzerland.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1265439)   #24
Canberra>karter
Rookie

Canberra>karter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Switzerland has lot's of deep lakes that would be nice to have a yacht on, I went swimming in summertime of a yacht in Switzerland!
Old 30 Mar 2005, 22:07 (Ref:1265752)   #25
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But he is famous for skiing and ice-hockeying in his free time. I've never seen a "JV in a boat" story unless it was some Lucky Strike PR.