Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 15 Jun 2001, 21:21 (Ref:105647)   #1
Rache
Racer

Rache should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
125cc British Championships - Ballast for lighter riders?

Does anyone think that the new HotShot youngsters (ie Casey Stoner) in the British 125cc Champs should carry ballast? Considering they weigh on average a stone less than most of the 125cc grid, I'd say it was a darn unfair advantage. Is it true that they weigh down the lighter riders in GPs, but in British racing it is up to the organisers whether this is put into force or not?
Old 16 Jun 2001, 22:47 (Ref:106004)   #2
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know in the NZ champs that no ballast is used in this class,and that even though less weight means more speed,rider abiliity stilll seems to be the most important factor.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 11:32 (Ref:107304)   #3
Rache
Racer

Well I sawtched the 125cc race at Brands on Sunday and it was ridiculous...Stoner cleared off with a 14 SECOND LEAD over the rest of the field.....everyone forgot about him and concentrated on the scrap for 2nd place instead....the kid needs weighing down cos watching him is no fun and it's certainly unfair to all the other riders.
Old 21 Jun 2001, 13:30 (Ref:107873)   #4
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly, the lighter the class, the more advantage is given to lighter riders/drivers. I think a modified minimum weight should be used. Rather than a minimum weight for bike AND rider, they should have a minimum weight for each. This would equalize the field somewhat, but still give some advantage to the lucky guy with the physique of a jockey.

This idea was tossed around in US club auto racing for classes like FF and FV, but was deemed to hard for the volunteer scrutineers to police.

Those of us upon whom gravity has it's greatest impact just had to make up for it with our astounding talent.
Old 21 Jun 2001, 13:58 (Ref:107885)   #5
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
why doesnt a moto gp team pick up young casey - that would solve the problem with brit 125cc races
Old 23 Jun 2001, 08:16 (Ref:108533)   #6
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even if a MAW is specified the lighter rider still has the advantage as he can place the weight were he wants,does Casey win every race he runs in,does he get beaten and if so why,better rider?machine trouble? or is it just the one meeting this has happened?
Old 24 Jun 2001, 21:04 (Ref:109264)   #7
Rache
Racer

Stoner has won every race he's competed in, he's only missed one race cos he was in Spain racing I think. Ye's he's a tiny kid and yes he can move around on the bike a lot more, but I still think it's unfair....I bet most of the grid already know that they don't stand a chance unless he bins it or has a breakdown...that's pretty disheartening!!!
Old 26 Jun 2001, 02:04 (Ref:109793)   #8
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I say good luck to him. If he can pull out 14 seconds on second place he has more going for him than light weight and compact dimensions. It sounds like talent to me.
Old 6 Jul 2001, 10:39 (Ref:113683)   #9
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We will see just how talented he is at Donnington.
His a wildcard rider at the 125cc GP

"highly rated 15 year old Australian wildcard Casey Stoner will also be looking to make an impression" as quoted in motogp.com
Old 7 Jul 2001, 00:10 (Ref:113930)   #10
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
after 1st qualifying casey stoner was 18th quickest..... 1.7 seconds of toni elias - how good is tony elias, all of a sudden he is the inform rider and a definite world champion candidate
Old 11 Jul 2001, 03:05 (Ref:115475)   #11
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say no to ballast. Physical dimensions are often an advantage in sports, although it is generally height that is favored.

Stoner's small size may give him an advantage, but somebody else might have faster reflexes, and a third guy may have better balance. Each uses his stengths to try to cross the finish line first. I don't see any unfair advantage.

If we are going to make small guys have ballast than we should force the guys with good balance to spin in a circle 100 times before the race. My two year old niece does this for fun! Guys with fast reflexes could have a delay built into there throttles and brakes. Then everything would be even and fair.