Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 5 Nov 2004, 11:59 (Ref:1145474)   #1
NeilJM
Rookie

NeilJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trackday advice for a novice!

Can anyone offer some good advice for reputable and well organised trackdays and also perhaps some trackday dates in November etc.

Never done a trackday before, the car we will be using is a Radical SR3.

Thank you for any help given.

Regards
Neil
Old 5 Nov 2004, 13:23 (Ref:1145515)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Re: Trackday advice for a novice!

Quote:
Originally posted by NeilJM
Can anyone offer some good advice for reputable and well organised trackdays and also perhaps some trackday dates in November etc.

Never done a trackday before, the car we will be using is a Radical SR3.

Thank you for any help given.

Regards
Neil
Try Easy Track They have a few dates left for November depending where you are. They are well organised although quite strict when it comes to track discipline.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 14:00 (Ref:1145547)   #3
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have a read of this:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=38950
Old 5 Nov 2004, 14:15 (Ref:1145554)   #4
NeilJM
Rookie

Thanks Hobson

The problem I have got is that we have raced the Radical in the championship this year, so it is fully race prepared (slicks, dry sump, fuel inj. etc) and without wishing to be too presumptious I think it will be the fastest car there. I completely understand the need for safety & consideration for other trackday users, and it will only be driven by myself & my brother (we both raced it this year). The purpose is to take round other members of our team (payback!) in the passenger seat, and we will obviously not treat it as a test day. I think what I am trying to say is can you be 'banned' for simply being too quick?(I have heard this rumour elsewhere!) I guess I need to speak to the recommended track day companies themselves.
Thanks again.

Neil

Last edited by NeilJM; 5 Nov 2004 at 14:19.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 15:44 (Ref:1145596)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by NeilJM
Thanks Hobson

The problem I have got is that we have raced the Radical in the championship this year, so it is fully race prepared (slicks, dry sump, fuel inj. etc) and without wishing to be too presumptious I think it will be the fastest car there. .................... I think what I am trying to say is can you be 'banned' for simply being too quick?(I have heard this rumour elsewhere!) I guess I need to speak to the recommended track day companies themselves.
Thanks again.

Neil
You won't be banned for being too quick and you may not be the quickest, there are a lot of racecars (Radicals included) at track days.
What you may get banned for is failing to observe the rules that will be laid down in the drivers briefing you will have to attend before you go out on track or generaly behaving like a pratt.
We use track days to entertain people in our racecars and have never had any problems.
edited, found another word that isn't auto censored

Last edited by Tim Falce; 5 Nov 2004 at 15:45.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 16:23 (Ref:1145613)   #6
NeilJM
Rookie

Thanks Falcemob
As you said that you use you own racecars, would you recommend bookatrack then?

PS What is quicker than a Radical at a trackday? Radical use a picture of me in our car in their advert claiming it's the 'fastest track day car in the world', they will be upset! (I know that's a whole other argument!)

Thanks for taking the time to post, may see you at a trackday!

Regards
Neil
Old 7 Nov 2004, 21:27 (Ref:1146964)   #7
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EasyTrack and BookaTrack should be good.

One tip, call them rather than just booking online. It will help to smooth the path. You can explain what you're after, and make it clear that you're not a muppet (also, try booking into the same hotel as the team the night before).

I did a trackday at Cadwell a couple of years back. A chap (forgotten the name) had a slick-shod Radical, mixing with MUCH slower cars. He was very disciplined on track (and even offered passenger rides) and got a lot of respect. Even though he was lapping even fast cars two or more times in a 20 min session, he would dawdle until a definite gap opened, be decisive when he did get a break. There was also a warning in the briefing, and he offered to withdraw immediately from the inter session (he was in inters and expert) if anyone complained. They didn't.

And by the way, his R500 was very nearly as quick.
Old 7 Nov 2004, 23:33 (Ref:1147079)   #8
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you can afford it the best thing to do with it is take it to Spain for some testing. Guadix is only about £1250 per day for exclusive use and Albacete a much better track than most British ones is about £2000. If you took it down on a trailer you could make a bit of a holiday out of it. Driving in the sun without any other idiots or slow cars getting in the way.