Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 21 Jun 2003, 09:05 (Ref:638291)   #1
lchris21
Rookie

lchris21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trackday rubber for a novice

I'm about to undertake my first full trackday (Llandow) in a seven type kitcar as a novice and was wondering about tyre choice.
I've got hold of a spare set of wheels 5.5x14" (to save my normal tyres)which I'm going to shod with some suitable rubber.
Trouble is I don't want to go to the expense of spending hundreds of £££££'s as I'll only be doing 2-3 days a year.
I've heard that the cheapest solution is to use very worn normal road tyres. Is this true ? or am I going to make an arse of myself ?
If true which ones should I look for at my local part worn emporium?
Next cheapest solution is some used purpose made rubber (yoko's or Avons) Which ones and where from?
If I get the bug and want to do more events then I'll smash that piggy bank and get some new hoops !
Cheers
Clanger
Old 21 Jun 2003, 10:19 (Ref:638318)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We run road tyres on our car for the track and worn is best. New rubber with a lot of tread can get hot and all the rubber moves around a little.

For the Pirellis P6000 (and P Zeros) about 3mm of tread seems good (in the dry). Although I use a very different car - much heavier and more power - quick(ish) on the striaghts, slow in the corners (the opposite of yours?).

At first I'd go for a cheap reliable option. Buying a good set of (almost) racing tyres will be wasted on you (no offense). When you get into it see how you feel.

P.S. Welcome to ten-tenths, I hope we get to hear about your experiences here soon.
Old 22 Jun 2003, 13:26 (Ref:639134)   #3
lchris21
Rookie

lchris21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Adam
Part worn's it is then.
Cheers