Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 May 2004, 13:24 (Ref:960411)   #1
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Burt back in BTCC

News story here. Not sure why Wallace is out though...
Old 4 May 2004, 13:48 (Ref:960425)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suspect his funding has ran out, or Burt is able to bring more money. Either way, I think this is good news for Sureteam and the championship, as Paul hasn't really performed 100%, and Kelvin has experience of running at the front, as well as being a semi-big name among Touring Car fans.
Old 4 May 2004, 14:09 (Ref:960438)   #3
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news! Kelvin is a fine driver indeed.

I remember watching him at Dony in Porsche GT coming from the back to take the win. He was taking the **** that day! AWESOME!!!

Hope they can sort something out so he's in for the rest of the season.

Old 4 May 2004, 14:24 (Ref:960446)   #4
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok can someone help me with some sad stats as to how many BTCC races Kelvin has been in (any class counts for me), I have the following details:

1990 - 3 races
1994 - 3 races
1995 - ? races, 1 overall win
1996 - ? races, 1 overall win
1997 - ? races
2002 - 2 races (not classified for championship points???)
Old 4 May 2004, 14:46 (Ref:960459)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I note the article says it's a 'one off' drive
Old 4 May 2004, 14:56 (Ref:960463)   #6
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy H
2002 - 2 races (not classified for championship points???)
Correct!
Old 4 May 2004, 16:16 (Ref:960529)   #7
joey1
Racer

joey1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one off drive 'cos the guy is **** hot around silverstone, remember him there in the alfa??
Old 4 May 2004, 17:13 (Ref:960604)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indeed - half a second quicker than anyone else AFAIR ?

Still funny that he's only in for one round though. :confused:

Andy H - 1995 and 1997 were certainly the full season, I think in 1996 he did return towards the last couple of rounds after his crash.
Old 4 May 2004, 17:30 (Ref:960630)   #9
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
1995 was a full season - 25 rounds
1997 was a full season - 24 rounds
1996 should have been a full season (26 rounds) but he never started round 10 @ Oulton Park having crashed heavily in round 9, and wasn't entered for rounds 11/12 @ Snetterton.
Old 5 May 2004, 10:49 (Ref:961328)   #10
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
As far as I understand it, Wallace has stood down of his own accord, being dissatisfied with his performance (though that could be PR speak for being sacked), and Burt is in for the next round, but the team want to keep him for longer if the money can be sorted (as is so often the way).
Old 5 May 2004, 13:46 (Ref:961508)   #11
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
As far as I understand it, Wallace has stood down of his own accord, being dissatisfied with his performance (though that could be PR speak for being sacked), and Burt is in for the next round, but the team want to keep him for longer if the money can be sorted (as is so often the way).
That's pretty much what Motorsport News are suggesting- it's currently a one-off, but could be extended after Silverstone- let's hope they can do a deal for this to happen

Wallace definitely seems to be out anyway- MN report him as 'pursuing drives in other categories'

Interestingly, they've also printed a second piece on GA, suggesting they may also have a second Alfa out this year- Gary Ayles is quoted as saying they're 'pretty close to putting something together...'
Old 5 May 2004, 14:24 (Ref:961535)   #12
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be amazed if Kelvin is bringing any cash to the team. I think you'll find out exactly how quick a privateer car can be with a proper driver..CB-H may have some egg to clear off his face at the end of the day..
Old 5 May 2004, 19:07 (Ref:961823)   #13
kykiske
Racer

kykiske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from www.paulwallace.net

"Team Sureterm have capitulated to pressure from their title sponsor Sureterm Direct and are replacing their current leading points scorer Paul Wallace with Kelvin Burt ahead of this weekend’s race meeting at Silverstone.

Paul commented: “I was disappointed with our results and my own performance at Thruxton, and at Brands, although I was 10th in race 2, my pace was a few tenths off the leading pace. I was determined to be on top form for Silverstone as it is undoubtedly one of my best tracks. However the team’s under a lot of pressure from its principal sponsor, Sureterm Direct, to produce better results, and has decided that Kelvin offers them the best opportunity to achieve a top result this weekend.

“I’ve been instrumental in bringing together much of the team’s sponsorship this season, and I can understand Sureterm Direct’s desire to achieve better results. I hope that Kelvin, Charlie [Butler-Henderson] and of course Carl [Breeze] can produce the results that the team needs.”

hmmmm interesting. Seems a politically motivated shove out the door to me....
Old 5 May 2004, 20:08 (Ref:961897)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like a bitter man to me.....
Old 5 May 2004, 20:25 (Ref:961912)   #15
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel sorry for Paul if he's been pushed aside like that. It doesn't seem fair to be judged on just two meetings and then dropped. That said, Kelvin is an extremely good driver, and a welcome return to the series!
Old 6 May 2004, 11:40 (Ref:962426)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sounds very bitter to me. He's lucky to be their leading points scorer - if it weren't for Breeze's engine failure in race 1 last time he wouldn't be. He's got experiecne with the car (unlike CBH or Breeze), so he hasn't done anything amazing.

I wonder who will be in the car after Silverstone - maybe nobody?
Old 6 May 2004, 12:22 (Ref:962476)   #17
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this a case of too much hype prior to the season starting to try and bring in the sponsers and then when the results dont go as predicted the sponsers are abit miffed?
Old 6 May 2004, 12:41 (Ref:962494)   #18
greasemonkey
Rookie

greasemonkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cant see how anyone could describe wallace as bitter when you read what he's said. sounds like he's unhappy about his own performance and he wants the team to be successful.
Old 6 May 2004, 14:07 (Ref:962574)   #19
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you greasemonkey, I think his statement is quite honest and open. If he doesnt' like what's happened he still has the deceny to comment:

"I hope that Kelvin, Charlie [Butler-Henderson] and of course Carl [Breeze] can produce the results that the team needs."

That's not the actions of a bitter man in my opinion.