Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Jun 2000, 15:34 (Ref:20263)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At what can argued as the most interesting temporary road course as well as one of the least attractive to look at, who looks good? Will Montoya set on pole only to fall out with failures ala Detroit? This circuit is more bumpy than Belle Isle. Will it be a battle between deFerran, Castroneves and Moreno again or can Tracy, Franchitti, Fittipaldi, and Andretti mix it up as well? Will daMatta finally get to stand on the top step? Or will Papis and Brack finally get the ducks in a row and finish one?

I think Cleveland favors a driver who is smooth over the bumps and can drift his car about without tearing it up. If Montoya can smooth out his throttle response on the bumps he will be the man to beat, but if he keeps hammering away like he did at Belle Isle it will break. Penske and Rahal both have some secret shock valving techniques that seem to help them at bumpy tracks and these two teams could be the favs.

What do you guys think?
Old 29 Jun 2000, 22:54 (Ref:20345)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Penske now and forever! I don't think they'll run out of gas again, and if Gil doesn't hit anybody he will be the best suited to this course - smooth and unruffled and blindingly fast as he is - with Helio right behind!

Others I give a chance: da Matta, Moreno, and Tracy - the latter because he will have something to prove.

And I bet Christian outqualifies Mikey again. He's not allowed to beat him very often, but he is getting this qualifying thing down pat, yes?
Old 30 Jun 2000, 01:27 (Ref:20389)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tracy: Contact -go on, prove us wrong you championship contender!!

Juan: Show em what a toyota can do!

Penske: When they get into a roll the racing will lose a lot when it becomes predictable that a red and white car will win. For the good of the sport, i hope someone sticks it to them...
Old 30 Jun 2000, 01:51 (Ref:20392)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you say that last season when Formula Juan was running away with things? Gil deserves to win. He has had a horrid couple of years and he's not getting any younger! i want to see Gil and Moreno race right down to the last race - and I want Gil to win!
Old 30 Jun 2000, 02:00 (Ref:20394)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm....well, last year was a close thing remember? Dario did tie for the championship...

But when Penske get their act together...well...there goes the excitment... remember '94? the hardest challenge that year was picking the order of the penske 1-2-3...

Penske have been there before, its not as if they are new kids on the block or anything...(go Moreno!!)

I guess i always go for the underdog...just a bit of a personal preferance.

OH, and Gil had better watch his language this weekend
Old 30 Jun 2000, 04:01 (Ref:20423)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't help but wonder where Greg Moore would have been in Penske's run to the top.

I think Juan looks good to lead a few laps at the Cleveland race, but it is fairly hard on car, so I doubt he will finish. Penske once again looks pretty good. Liz, I am sorry, but having followed both of their careers, I have to go for Helio! I think I have found a new favorite. But, I will still be going for Paul Tracy to win the race and hoefully, eventually the championship. Unfortunately I cannot see him being competitive in F1.
Old 30 Jun 2000, 04:03 (Ref:20424)   #7
AndrettiRULES
Rookie

AndrettiRULES should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya will definitely be a threat, as well as de Ferran and "Mikey", YES, I said Mikey...he's always been good at Burke LakeFront. I highly doubt Christian will outqualify him here....every track for the remainder of the season, yes...but not Cleveland!!

1) Gil de Ferran
2) Michael Andretti
3) Helio Castro(no dash)neves

AR
Old 30 Jun 2000, 19:40 (Ref:20567)   #8
papisfan
Rookie

papisfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After this morning it looks like Newman-Haas is the team to beat.
Old 30 Jun 2000, 20:33 (Ref:20583)   #9
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Another amazing Cart Qualifying session. Dario and Michael on the front row.
Old 30 Jun 2000, 21:47 (Ref:20601)   #10
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kool Green, Newman-Haas, Penske, Target all fighting tooth and nail. I LOVE CART!
Cleveland will be a great race, and i don't care who wins.
(OK, i lied, Go Tracy!) But even if he doesn't i know i'll still enjoy every minute of it.

Curious? Why, in some peoples opinions, is it Montoya's fault that he's had a number of DNF's this year in the Lola-Toyota. Has he become harder on the car since last season. If i remember correctly the Reynard-Honda could take what he asked of it. HMMMMM! Curious!
Old 30 Jun 2000, 22:17 (Ref:20610)   #11
AndrettiRULES
Rookie

Not after 1st round qualifying!!

Now it's just Michael leading the efforts...that Franchitti guy will disappear by the end of 2nd round lol

AR
Old 1 Jul 2000, 00:22 (Ref:20643)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Check again. I think you'll find the green and white car hasn't disappeared - it's AHEAD OF YOU.
Old 2 Jul 2000, 03:50 (Ref:20862)   #13
AndrettiRULES
Rookie

What green/white car?? There isn't one in front of mikey!!

But there is a black one....red/white one...and a mostly red one. Oh well

AR
Old 2 Jul 2000, 04:02 (Ref:20865)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Big congrats to Roberto Moreno on winning Pole. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
Old 2 Jul 2000, 14:31 (Ref:20895)   #15
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, E-Ace.

A very interesting grid. There will be a lot of movement up the field from mid and rear grid cars.