Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 19 Jan 2003, 16:29 (Ref:479079)   #1
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cleveland at Night??

OK, so Cleveland is going to be run at night......

I, for one, cannot find any justification for this!!

Let me explain why not and then hopefully someone will be able to explain CART's reasoning.......?:confused:

This venue, from what I've seen on tv, is flat amd therefore most spectators can see most of the course..

It costs money, lots!!. to floodlight a track......

How would the Networks in the US take to having to try and find airtime during a peak period for a minority sport....

Plus......and here's the main point..........

Pook wants CART to be worldwide, to be able to access as many markets as possible. Just how many people does he think will watch a race at 2,3, or even 4 o'clock in the morning???? Here in Europe, a major expansion area for CART, 2pm in Central USA = 7/8pm Europe time.

OK, on a Sunday this would not be a problem, just Snooker or the God Squad shows (no offense to our religious members) but........

night races would have to be on the Saturday to facilitate a decent "live" crowd..........

so, CART would be asking the US networks to make room in the highest priced sector of tv viewing, plus expecting the Europeans etc, to stay-up into the wee small hours for a foreign motor race series!!!

Have I missed something or has Mr Pook ?????
Old 19 Jan 2003, 16:44 (Ref:479103)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure they've got the TV side of things on this worked out (at least domestically), or they wouldn't be proceeding. It'll be on Speed at a minimum, and probably one of the other major networks. That said, I think this is more about the local race than about international TV. That said, if the international stations have the interest, I"m sure the broadcast will be repeated.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 19 Jan 2003, 16:47 (Ref:479109)   #3
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thx Jay but....
just how much coverage does CART get??? as apposed to NFL,MLB or Nascar? is it a big thing or not?
Old 19 Jan 2003, 16:56 (Ref:479116)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As opposed to those, Cart doesn't exist.

Almost all of the races are on Speed TV, which, while they do provide great coverage is extremely unfortunate as the average person in North America does not get the station. A selection of races were broadcast on CBS and Fox (which almost everyone gets) last year, and from what I've heard more will be next year.

Hopefully Cleveland will be on a major network, but if not SpeedTV will likely have backup (and hopefully TSN will pick that up in Canada).
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 19 Jan 2003, 17:02 (Ref:479121)   #5
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
As an outsider here in the UK, how much of this is due to the split with IRL (Tony George) ??

did that make a big difference or is it just coincidence?
Old 19 Jan 2003, 17:15 (Ref:479137)   #6
Baritone24

It had nothing to do with the split its just pook, 1. trying to see if a night race will work, 2.looking to see if the rating will look decent.even thought the race will go head to head with thw W-Cup race at Daytona.I think its a great race idea,and will be profitable.Now they need to come here to DC!

Old 19 Jan 2003, 20:14 (Ref:479302)   #7
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stu, Having worked Cleveland for many years, (11 I think) yes, it is flat, but being a temorary airport circuit there are only limited grandstands, which basically are situated behind the pits and startline. This area will be easy to flood light off the grandstand structure.

Remember the Yankee idea of night racing is a full floodlit course, it's often better lit than during the day. I think what Chris is trying to do here is bring in a move towards European style night racing, were we only light the start finish and the compeditors race the rest of the circuit in the dark.

Whoa, I knoww Champ cars don't have headlights!

But Cleveland is the one circuit on the circus where a small amount of flood lighting on each corner (all bar 1 are rightangles) and the runway and taxi way lights to define the edges should be sufficiant for them to race.
Lets wait and see.

Last edited by theracegypsy; 19 Jan 2003 at 20:19.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 20:21 (Ref:479312)   #8
CleanTone
Racer

Romania
Colentina
CleanTone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It might be fun, profitable, whatever. But this won't change that on a Sunday night it will kill the interest in Europe.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 21:09 (Ref:479369)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The race is Saturday night. And in regards to the television exposure and any major network feeds, let's keep in mind that it will be running head-to-head with the Pepsi400 at Daytona. That's not gonna help the ratings no matter what.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 21:56 (Ref:479395)   #10
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stu, due to summertime temp (hot) of out door sports are played under very pleasnt evening conditions............and it helps keep the birth rate down. When the temp is over 100F most outside events are at night, They draw bigger crowds. Also, easy on the cars and more power. A lot ofpeople have questioned Pook's motives & judgement (my self included); but it's all comming togeather very nicely.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 22:05 (Ref:479408)   #11
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just hope I'm able to watch it on TV. If it's on, I'll watch it any time, 5 pm, 5 am, whatever!
Old 19 Jan 2003, 23:05 (Ref:479477)   #12
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only thing that saved Major League Baseball in the US long ago was the advent of the night game. More people can attend or watch on TV and the conditions at the venue are generally nicer than in the daytime (especially that time of year in Cleveland).

Not being mean or anything but if we want to watch F1 live we have to get up at ungodly hours to do it particularly on the west coast. This is why the VCR was invented I think.

Most of the Saturday evening TV in the US is bad sitcoms anyway and I think they should get better ratings than Sunday when everyone is out playing golf.

As for Daytona, I don't follow NASCAR too much but isn't it on Sunday during the day?
Old 20 Jan 2003, 05:11 (Ref:479668)   #13
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the thing most of you are overlooking is that the race falls during 4th of July weekend, our independence day. The Cleveland Grand Prix is one of CART's oldest races and having the race at night is a way of rejuvenating an event that maybe some locals have forgot about or have lost interest in since NASCAR has invaded every home in the USA in the past few seasons. Another thing is Cleveland is ridiculously hot and almost always in a drout in the summer. I'm sure qualifying will be capped be a huge fireworks display over Lake Erie along with concerts and other festivities.

Also, if you've read any of the announcements on CART.com you will have seen that they are using 22 Light stands around the track. They only use 4 to light an entire football game. I believe they said the light output will be equilivant to 500,000 automobile headlights. They are not going to endurance style night racing! I believe the Pepsi 400 will be on CBS this year so maybe FOX will pick up the Cleveland race.

Lastly, I think these two night races will be very successful locally, because a full house leads to more tv spectators, usually not the other way around. The fans at each of these marquee events has dwindled recently, so this can only be a positive move for CART.
Old 20 Jan 2003, 18:19 (Ref:480233)   #14
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Flatspot - NASCAR is normally during the day, but the Pepsi 400 is a traditional night race.
brightline - assuming the current idea is kep FOX and NBC alternate the two Daytona races (they have last couple of years) - and my that token it is NBC's turn to take Pepsi (and FOX take the big 500). Assuming!