Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 28 Oct 2007, 22:01 (Ref:2053635)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
1957 Nurburgring 1000kms

I have waited in vain this year for any mag (that I've read anyway) and with even more disbelief, the AMOC, to celebrate what was a great victory 50 years ago by one of the iconic sports racing cars of the 1950's. Looks like I have to do it, then.

On 26 June 1957, Tony Brooks and Noel Cunningham-Reid took an Aston Martin DBR1/300 (chassis no. 2) to victory against stiff opposition in what was considered one of the hardest events on the sports car racing calendar. This was the great breakthrough for Aston Martin, and established that they had a car that was now capable of taking on Ferrari and Maserati at most circuits with a chance of winning. To do it at the Nurburgring was particularly sweet, and the DBR1/300 went on to win there again in 1958 and 1959 which makes it one of the legendary sports cars in my book. With this model, Aston Martin took the World Sports car championship in 1959.
Old 29 Oct 2007, 01:43 (Ref:2053731)   #2
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a little abbreviated John, how about a book! The subject deserves it.
Yeah!
Old 29 Oct 2007, 12:49 (Ref:2054017)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would agree, David, but my intention was merely to give recognition to the fact that it was 50 years ago this year that the DBR1/300 took its first truly international win (it had won earlier in the year at Spa, again with Brooks, but the competition was fairly negligible there) and at the most difficult circuit in the World. That no-one, particularly the AMOC, has paid homage to it, beggars belief, given all the other anniversaries we seem to celebrate in motor racing, these days.

For the full racing record of the DBR1/300 (only 5 built) please see here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81151
Old 30 Oct 2007, 10:11 (Ref:2054717)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite right John,it doe,s seem a little odd that this has had no pulicity from Aston itself let alone AMOC.One other thing that supprised me was in 05 LM support,It was of course the anniversary of the catastrophy of 55,the French had erected a memorial to those victim,s, it was also Astons return year,yet it was all rather low key.I think I felt more patriotic than the team!At least there was a minuits silence in memory of 55.
Old 30 Oct 2007, 11:42 (Ref:2054806)   #5
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a great win. And the first time that Aston Martin had beaten full works team opposition - Ferrari, Maserati, Porsche, etc

But didn't they win the 1953 TT , which was also a Sports Car Championship Qualifier, and before that the 1948(?) Spa 24 Hours driven by St John Horsfall? In both cases the full opposition wasn't there.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 30 Oct 2007, 16:40 (Ref:2055065)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes, indeed, but I'm attempting to celebrate the first truly significant victory by the DBR1/300, that it took place 50 years ago this year, and that it was the start of a short but very impressive period in Aston Martin racing history culminating in the World Sportcar Championship in 1959.
Old 30 Oct 2007, 17:30 (Ref:2055172)   #7
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
And a shout out to Noel Cunningham-Reid, who proved himself worthy in this race, I seem to remember that he was meant to be a placeholder whilst Brooks recovered from his ardours but by the time he came back in to hand over he had actually increased the lead? One of motor racing's "if onlys"...then again, perhaps he was wise to quit when he did in those murderous times.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 07:47 (Ref:2055605)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes, very valid comment, Ensign.