Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 4 Dec 2007, 19:45 (Ref:2081595)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Gatorade Duel

Hi guys
Don't tell Knowlesy, else he may cry, but I may have a little business to take care of in Florida in a month or two and I got to thinking... why not see if there's a shuttle launch at the same time. There is one on 14th Feb... 3 days before the Daytona 500. Now that really got me thinking.

I'm still at a very early planning stage but I need to get sorted quickly as time is flying by. I really wanted to get a couple of friends of mine who now live in Sarasota along to experience the race but they only get Thursday and Monday off work. Which brings me back to the 14th - maybe I could sell them on a shuttle launch/Gatorade Duel combo. But I really know very little about the races so could someone help me out. Are they worth visiting? What time of the day do they take place? How busy are they?

The shuttle launch is scheduled for a midday launch but that could very possibly change. Presuming for a minute it was a midday launch and the races took place in the evening (do they?) is it feasible to see both? If the races take place in the day are we likely to see anything of the shuttle or are we just too far away? I'm guessing but it's gotta be, what, 50 or 60 miles from Daytona to Kennedy?
Old 4 Dec 2007, 23:32 (Ref:2081718)   #2
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was in daytona for work last august and it took us about an hour to get down to the space center. I doubt you would see anything from the speedway in terms of the shuttle launch.
Old 5 Dec 2007, 16:21 (Ref:2082201)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
No, I suspected as much but it's worth asking the question. One of the people I spent Thanksgiving with claimed they'd seen a launch from Sarasota but it's hardly the same seeing it in the sky as seeing it from close up (well, as close as you could be!)

Any ideas on what time the races are run? I can't find any info online. The only reference I have is a programme from my earlier visit in 2002 when they started at 1pm. Obviously that'd not work for the shuttle thing so I can only hope they changed it between then and now?!
Old 5 Dec 2007, 21:59 (Ref:2082440)   #4
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They are during the daytime Craig, alas.
Old 5 Dec 2007, 23:19 (Ref:2082482)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Okay, as I expected. No worries but thanks for the confirmation. I think I've settled on a good plan for this trip which absolutely has to be done on a shoestring. I didnt plan on going anywhere in Feb but everything just came together to the point where I couldn't not do it On that vain... am I likely to get murdered by the 'necks if I turn up at Daytona driving whatever the cheapest rental car I can get is? A Kia Rio maybe? lol
Old 6 Dec 2007, 03:11 (Ref:2082554)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have you been to Daytona before?
Old 6 Dec 2007, 15:41 (Ref:2082888)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Yeah, went for the 500 in 2002. Cant believe it now but that was my first time I was on a plane! We did the Winston and Busch races at the speedway and also popped along to Volusia speedway for some racing on the dirt which was great fun. I'll have to look into that again. Any other suggestions for things I shouldn't miss whilst I'm in town?
Old 7 Dec 2007, 00:51 (Ref:2083282)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Yeah, went for the 500 in 2002. Cant believe it now but that was my first time I was on a plane! We did the Winston and Busch races at the speedway and also popped along to Volusia speedway for some racing on the dirt which was great fun. I'll have to look into that again. Any other suggestions for things I shouldn't miss whilst I'm in town?
I don't find much in the way of interesting touristy stuff in town. There is the usual tourist trap stuff. Daytona Beach itself is a bit run down and dodgy(I find anyways). One place I can recommend is the Last Turn Club(IRC the proper name). It is out on Daytona Beach right next to the ocean and sits on the spot of the former race track they used before the speedway was built. They have a lot of memorabilia and pictures to look at from the old days. It's interesting to see pictures of Daytona Beach before they built anything.

Also a must see is Ker's Winghouse. It's right near the speedway. It blows Hooters into the weeds. The food and the ladies are much better.

http://www.winghouse.com/index.asp

The space center is easy to get to. I find the actual visitor center to be oriented towards kids and people with low IQ's. I believe the last bus out to the launch site leaves around 2:30 or 3 in the afternoon so keep that in mind.

The astronaut museum is more interesting and has many real artifacts from spaceflight. It is before you get to the Visitor Center on the same road.

Personally in that area my favorite town is St. Augustine.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 18:32 (Ref:2085888)   #9
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Thanks for the tips

I visited KSC a few weeks ago and actually kinda enjoyed it. Not sure if that makes me a kid or someone with a low IQ hehe
Old 11 Dec 2007, 10:29 (Ref:2086373)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Thanks for the tips

I visited KSC a few weeks ago and actually kinda enjoyed it. Not sure if that makes me a kid or someone with a low IQ hehe
No! I definitely think some of the displays at the visitor center like the IMAX films are interesting but some of the 'exhibits' are like "Hey do you know we've been in space and to the moon?". Really. I guess there are people out there that don't know this.

Did you do the space shuttle liftoff simulator? Where they tilt you back 90 degrees and shake the crap out of you?