Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 25 Jan 2008, 13:59 (Ref:2113368)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1988 FFs on 'you tube'

Some frantic FF1600 action I shot at Snetterton, July 31st 1988. Unfortunately uploaded in the usual youtube lo-resolution format. A home movie filmed from the long gone Esses grandstand. Also a few paddock shots including Tiff trying out Paul Warwick's F3 car for size. Note the wide line the FF's take just missing the old bridge! Copyright Andrew Kitson 1988.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VoRwgvANlpk
Old 25 Jan 2008, 14:50 (Ref:2113391)   #2
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice one Andrew.
It probably isn't, - I couldn't freeze frame - but the bloke who comes into shot in the light and dark blue jacket, just after the scoreboard shot, before the proper racing cars come on reminded me of Alan Raine
Old 25 Jan 2008, 15:22 (Ref:2113407)   #3
Steve Burns
Racer

United Kingdom
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Steve Burns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent. I'd forgotten just how close to the track that bridge used to be!

Whilst on the subject of youtube, here is a clip of me spinning Ed Moore's Van Diemen;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B17JQlD-AaI

I thought I'd better post that before anyone else does
Old 25 Jan 2008, 17:05 (Ref:2113476)   #4
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Junior FF at Mallory 1989. David Coulthard v. Kelvin Burt, again my home movie.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=W7J3xA5KJrE
Old 25 Jan 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2113485)   #5
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz
Nice one Andrew.
It probably isn't, - I couldn't freeze frame - but the bloke who comes into shot in the light and dark blue jacket, just after the scoreboard shot, before the proper racing cars come on reminded me of Alan Raine
I've never owned a light and dark blue jacket.

Anyway, in those days I was have too much fun 'tut north' doing your Formula E stuff
Old 25 Jan 2008, 17:31 (Ref:2113501)   #6
redbaron1973
Rookie

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
redbaron1973 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cool vids, thanks.

Paul
Old 25 Jan 2008, 19:15 (Ref:2113569)   #7
chris1600
Rookie

England
Gloucestershire
chris1600 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for posting.

This may be a silly question but......... There is loads of noise from squealing tyres which you don't seem to get in FF1600 now. Did FF1600s still use road tyres in 1988? Is that why?

Last edited by chris1600; 25 Jan 2008 at 19:21.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2113580)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I think they were on the old treaded Dunlops back then. Less grip.
That's the main problem with every modern racing car out there, too much grip = not as much spectacle!
Old 25 Jan 2008, 20:07 (Ref:2113597)   #9
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
I think they were on the old treaded Dunlops back then. Less grip.
That's the main problem with every modern racing car out there, too much grip = not as much spectacle!
The tyres changed sometime in the 80's. I can't remember when, but they suddenly squeeled a lot without too much change in grip
Old 26 Jan 2008, 09:32 (Ref:2113830)   #10
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Classic FF slipstreaming at Silverstone. My old mate Gil De Ferran featured in this home movie I shot in May '89. Niko Palhares won, Adrian Fernandez 2nd, Bernard Dolan 3rd and Gil 4th. Dolan and Gil were team mates for Fulmar Reynard and another buddy who was lodging with me at the time, Trevor van Rooyen, was building their Auriga engines. I remember TvR being mighty upset because Bernard and Gil did not work together to tow each other around, allowing the enemy Van Diemen to win! Somehow that magic Silverstone atmosphere that appears to have been lost in recent years comes through.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MfazFArtENI
Old 26 Jan 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2113839)   #11
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Blimey! The only name I noticed on the last video was Bernard Dolan, I didn't know he'd been doing FF1600 for so long. Classic Mallory though. As far as I could tell, there were only 3 Reyanrds in the Mallory race, the rest were Van DIemen, with Jamun towards the rear.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 10:02 (Ref:2113843)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Subscribe to this thread guys, I've got loads of stuff I recorded around this time. Cadwell FF1600 & FF2000 up next - yep the good old days when the national Championships went to Cadwell.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 10:41 (Ref:2113857)   #13
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for these Andrew, and keep them coming.

Moreso than the cars, drivers and racing it is interesting to compare the settings now and then, and how dramatically they have changed. Also it is good to be reminded that people did used to turn up to watch racing - I would have been among the crowd at Mallory that day. We don't seem to get many attendances like that now.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 11:02 (Ref:2113870)   #14
SCOBER11
Racer

SCOBER11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jasus is that the same commentator at Silverstone? the dude must of been there forever.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 11:08 (Ref:2113872)   #15
Athgoe Racing
Racer

Athgoe Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great stuf sent the link to bernard, he just watched it, come on andrew give us some more material to slag bernie.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 11:10 (Ref:2113874)   #16
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Brilliant, say hi to Bernard! Please give him my address info@andrewkitson.com
Old 26 Jan 2008, 11:49 (Ref:2113896)   #17
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Commentator wise we had Ian Titchmarsh at Silverstone - still a regular, Andrew Wilkins at Snetterton (I think) - who I did WHT with last year, and Tony Coales at Mallory - also still frequently to be heard at the circuits.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2113902)   #18
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The other commentator you can hear at Silverstone (in the Stowe comm box) is Keith Douglas. Titch & Keith were a great team.

OK, Cadwell Sept '88. Two vids, the first short one is FF2000 practice ( you can see the old barn & farmhouse) plus other classes and around the paddock. See if you can spot John Village and his pal John Booth (now boss of Manor Motorsport)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GP6lyHlQhHI

This second one is the FF race, Palhares' Duckhmas Van Diemen & Sospiri's JVA car having a ding-dong with McGall chasing. Jose Cordova is in the yellow Fulmar Reynard and Bernard was in the yellow Mondiale. The FF2000 race shows Paul Stewart's first win with Steve Robertson chasing in David Sears' car. Robbo and his Dad are now Kimi's managers. The very beginnings of Paul Stewart Racing (now Red Bull F1!)
I feel old posting all this!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=86-IkF6VcWA
Old 26 Jan 2008, 13:25 (Ref:2113942)   #19
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I've added all of my home movies posted already on this forum to a page on my website with many more to come. Go to the links page on www.andrewkitson.com and look for 'Andrew's Motorsport Videos'. If you want to bookmark it, others will be added in the weeks to come.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 14:12 (Ref:2113970)   #20
Point-5
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Point-5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant stuff Andrew... It was helping out Bernard on Noel Dunnes car a couple of years ago that sparked my love of FF1600 and I'm about to compete for first time this year.. Great to see these old videos!!

Keep em coming!
Old 26 Jan 2008, 14:37 (Ref:2114096)   #21
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Subscribe to this thread guys, I've got loads of stuff I recorded around this time. Cadwell FF1600 & FF2000 up next - yep the good old days when the national Championships went to Cadwell.
Andrew,
The National Club Formula Ford Championship [nee FF1600] will be at Cadwell on 14th / 15th June this year.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 18:41 (Ref:2114226)   #22
DanScotney
Rookie

DanScotney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow cool. brings back memories. I was involved in the champion of cadwell and snetterton during those days with a guy i knew.
Old 28 Jan 2008, 08:57 (Ref:2115320)   #23
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mallory FF2000 added from '89.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=psJ87b6U_k4
Old 28 Jan 2008, 10:45 (Ref:2115405)   #24
robm
Rookie

European Union
Hampshire
robm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a big thanks for putting those clips on here. Very nostalgic, watched nearly every FF race at Silverstone from 82 - 90 fantastic especially good to see them on the GP Circuit. Some great names on the commentary (Coyne, Morris, et al.)

Still laughing at the FF2000 one from Mallory in 89, good to see Mr Blakeney (Ideal Standard green class B SF86) still going for mental overtaking opportunities and taking the nose off again (that was my spare one that he borrowed) I wasnt in that race as my car was destroyed testing at Cadwell. Eventful season to say the least!!

Thanks again wonderful stuff and and memories of standing in the SRC viewing area., tea in hand watching top stuff - God i'm filling up now!
Old 28 Jan 2008, 11:34 (Ref:2115449)   #25
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:

This second one is the FF race, Palhares' Duckhmas Van Diemen & Sospiri's JVA car having a ding-dong with McGall chasing. Jose Cordova is in the yellow Fulmar Reynard and Bernard was in the yellow Mondiale.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=86-IkF6VcWA
Just spotted a typo sorry. It is Derek Higgins in the 1988 works Duckhams RF88 battling with Sospiri. Niko Palhares drove for VD in '89.