Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 10 Jun 2008, 08:58 (Ref:2224540)   #1
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone been to Italy?

Hi Folks (especially Climb and our other Italian members! ),

I'm heading to Italy next week for FIA GT Round 3@Adria - and the plan currently is to land in Venice, and get a train down to Rovigo to our Hotel and then get a Taxi from Rovigo to the other side of Adria to the Circuit and back each day - but I've been wondering - how much do Taxi's cost in Italy, and are they quite easy to get hold of?

I've found a way to hire a car from Venice Marco Polo (where we land) for the 3 days we're there for ~£74 + fuel costs, trains will seem to cost around £55, plus the cost of Taxis on top of that makes me think a car would probably be cheaper - with the downside being we'd have to drive on Italian roads, which are mental apparently!

Does anyone have any idea about how much Taxis cost in Italy, as I'm leaning to the Hire Car route atm!

Cheers Folks!
Old 10 Jun 2008, 09:12 (Ref:2224555)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This might be better in Trackside
Old 10 Jun 2008, 19:36 (Ref:2225110)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I hired a car in Italy a couple of months ago and after trawling through a load of so called cheaper firms I booked with Hertz £40 for 4 days !
Although the rates may have changed for the summer I would still hire a car rather than being ripped off in a taxi.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Jun 2008, 21:08 (Ref:2229685)   #4
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, Hire Car is now sorted.

Got told by Hertz and International Driving Permit wasn't required for renting in Italy, turns out they're wrong (I think) - Dad's gotta go get one at the Post Office tomorrow, hopefully you can get them in person at the PO!
Old 16 Jun 2008, 00:18 (Ref:2229780)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Well all the blurb that Hertz give you do say you need one, however I don't have one and they just accepted my UK one with no questions.
Years ago you just sent off for an International licence in the post and you didn't even have to have a UK valid licence ! It was a big loophole as loads of people used to drive about all over the world, "including" the UK with one. In real terms it meant in theory you could drive a car the day the licence was issued ! and you may not have ever sat behind the wheel !!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Jun 2008, 13:08 (Ref:2230062)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
nope, i've hired with hertz in italy and i've never required one, i didn't even know they issued them any more!
Old 17 Jun 2008, 08:08 (Ref:2230611)   #7
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've driven in Italy quite a lot over the years, and its just fine as long as you don't need to go into cities like Rome and Milan. In a lot of ways its easier than here, less rules so less mistakes to make. Just watch out for the dim traffic lights, I think they are all on 40 watt bulbs and the worn out white patches which are supposed to show the zebra crossings. The locals walk straight out on them because they know where they are but they are usually so worn out they are difficult to spot when driving.
I've always used Avis at Venice airport, just show my licence, I've never heard of an International driving permit.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2230629)   #8
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As other's have said, driving in Italy isn't that bad.

I did have a moment once when a woman in a Fiat Punto passed me going into a blind bend on a mountain road, but most of the time it's no worse than the home counties.

How far is Adria from Venice (Sounds a great weekend, but I don't think the wife will stand for me going away for another weekend a week after Le Mans )

Cheers.
Old 18 Jun 2008, 17:51 (Ref:2232073)   #9
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the 'credit card' UK licence is valid EU-wide - it does have the 'circle of stars' flag on it! And I was told that it was required when I drove to Monza last year, while the old paper one was no good.

I didn't think that Italian driving was so bad - until I saw a car, stuck in a motorway jam, pushing the car in front along, when it didn't close up the bgap in front quickly enough!

John
Old 18 Jun 2008, 20:45 (Ref:2232195)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD
I think the 'credit card' UK licence is valid EU-wide - it does have the 'circle of stars' flag on it! And I was told that it was required when I drove to Monza last year, while the old paper one was no good.

I've still got the old pink paper folded job with half a dozen endorsements on it.
Perhaps they took pity on me