Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Aug 2008, 11:31 (Ref:2267765)   #1
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst 1000 2008 - Where would/will you be?

If you could spectate from anywhere for the Bathurst 1000, assuming you could be in non-spectator areas too (such as marshal or photog areas) where would you watch from - and why?

[I'm coming over from UK for this - first time at Bathurst and first time in Oz - so am looking for some good advice! ]
Old 12 Aug 2008, 11:58 (Ref:2267784)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i wouldnt limit myself to one spot, i would walk around the track and enjoy the race from all the great viewing spots.

if i had to sit,then a nice spot on the fence right on top of the mountain in front of th big screen would be nice, unfortunatly they get taken on the sunday before.

I sit in the grandstand on pit straight and walk around over the weekend, but i tend to stay in the grandstand on raceday
Old 12 Aug 2008, 21:21 (Ref:2268087)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Normally what a lot of people do throughout the day is start down at the bottom of the hill for all of the pre-race festivities, catch the bus to the top and cruise around, before heading back down for the finish. Anywhere over the top of the hill is fantastic, and the Chase is a cracker too...
Old 12 Aug 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2268114)   #4
dcr44S
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
dcr44S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test
Normally what a lot of people do throughout the day is start down at the bottom of the hill for all of the pre-race festivities, catch the bus to the top and cruise around, before heading back down for the finish. Anywhere over the top of the hill is fantastic, and the Chase is a cracker too...
Thinking along the same lines myself as I'm going to be there as part of my honeymoon
Old 12 Aug 2008, 22:10 (Ref:2268121)   #5
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be spending the weekend in the Council Suite above the garages

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 13 Aug 2008, 01:43 (Ref:2268181)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama
I will be spending the weekend in the Council Suite above the garages
In between working for a living putting stickers on noisy cars?
Old 13 Aug 2008, 01:46 (Ref:2268185)   #7
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Against the fence at McPhillamy with the TV ( & generator), BBQ and Esky (oops thats right - soft drink only )
Old 13 Aug 2008, 01:54 (Ref:2268189)   #8
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Muznik - can a hungry photographer stop by on his walk across the top of the Mountain for a brekky snag?

I'll be fighting the hordes for a decent position at Hell Corner for the start, across the top during the day, Murrays, Chase, and probably on the pitwall to shoot the finish.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 05:30 (Ref:2268235)   #9
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i like where i usually am at Griffins can see part of Mountain straight halfway up to the cutting and across to the chase. i usually take a walk over to the chase and i usually get into the pits, as said before don't limit yourself to one spot move around it's a great track to spectate at.

Last edited by Pro Racer; 13 Aug 2008 at 05:32.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 12:10 (Ref:2268409)   #10
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test
I 'forgot' to mention that I'll be marshalling rather than spectating, so once positioned I won't be moving round the circuit during the day! Should I be offered a choice of locations, I'd like to come straight back with the best spot! Thanks for the replies - it's going to be a great weeklong event!
Old 14 Aug 2008, 05:15 (Ref:2268825)   #11
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
deadsquirrel, the flagpoint at Brock's Skyline is the spot you're after. Flagpoint P11.0:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...61662750590992

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 11:53 (Ref:2268991)   #12
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
deadsquirrel, the flagpoint at Brock's Skyline is the spot you're after. Flagpoint P11.0:

That would do nicely !!
Old 14 Aug 2008, 23:25 (Ref:2269367)   #13
Mr_Cool
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Mr_Cool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hey i've worked there, it's a brilliant point with the best view in town, lots of action to, trust me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel
I 'forgot' to mention that I'll be marshalling rather than spectating
Do you know where they have positioned you yet? I'll be working on top of the mountain.

P.S. I assume you mean flag marshalling?
Old 15 Aug 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2269562)   #14
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hoping to be within the confindes of a leading teams pits, waiting for conformation.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 15 Aug 2008, 11:37 (Ref:2269566)   #15
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lounge Lizard

Quote:

Oil be in the comfort of a loungeroom....stay safe up there people
Old 18 Aug 2008, 14:58 (Ref:2270994)   #16
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Cool
Hey i've worked there, it's a brilliant point with the best view in town, lots of action to, trust me!

Do you know where they have positioned you yet? I'll be working on top of the mountain.

P.S. I assume you mean flag marshalling?
Don't know our posts yet - hope to be doing incident, but am just as happy to flag! We're flexible!
Old 19 Aug 2008, 03:40 (Ref:2271302)   #17
B!tchie Renault
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
B!tchie Renault should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
deadsquirrel,

Most of the marshals will be deemed 'Flag Marshals' but you will not just do flags, but comms, track etc. In other words basically anything. There is a separate group of Spectator Marshals, but the numbers are inadequate for the job at hand, especially on warm Sundays .

I will be making the trek south again for another year, so I hope to see you there.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 08:33 (Ref:2271394)   #18
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!tchie Renault
deadsquirrel,

Most of the marshals will be deemed 'Flag Marshals' but you will not just do flags, but comms, track etc. In other words basically anything. There is a separate group of Spectator Marshals, but the numbers are inadequate for the job at hand, especially on warm Sundays .

I will be making the trek south again for another year, so I hope to see you there.
OK-we still get assigned as Flag OR track here, it's much better to rotate round on a post

We'll be easy to spot - we'll be the ones with the funny accents!
Old 19 Aug 2008, 09:02 (Ref:2271406)   #19
Mr_Cool
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Mr_Cool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
OK-we still get assigned as Flag OR track here, it's much better to rotate round on a post

The problem is here we lack the numbers to assign FLAG and TRACK marshalls seperately, in saying that the F1 and A1 GP's we did have track marshalls and flag marshalls.

I have been assigned my position for Bathurst and i'm in a high impact point on top of the mountain, if your doing 'marshalling' then i can only imagine you'll be working on a flag point.

Last edited by Mr_Cool; 19 Aug 2008 at 09:05.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 10:34 (Ref:2271459)   #20
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track

Quote:

You will have a great time Expired Rodent...just remember that in Oz we have Comms at every point (most of the time, anyway!) and that you do not venture trackside unless cleared by Race Control or a Senior or Sector Marshal.

In addition, we have Sector Marshals who wander around and are responsible for the smooth running of a sector comprising a number of Flag Points. It is often they who are first at incidents (because they have the authority to step on the track at any time - they have there own radio loop)

Flag Points usually end up having a "senior" but be aware that that can mean the loudest mouth and largest ego.....in our country )...

Just roll with the flow and try and get moved to different points so that you get the most out of the experience...just have a quiet word with the Chief Flag, Deputy Dog and ask to try a few different spots.

Cheers, Mick