Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Nov 2008, 09:35 (Ref:2326742)   #1
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When did you realise Lewis got it?

Just curious - since for last lap&half or so, it seemed Massa has WDC in his pocket - at what point did you realise it's Lewis who actually won it?

Me: while I was tearing my T-shirt in despair, our (usually not very good) TV commentator made a remark while Vettel and Lewis were going through the last corner "if that is Glock...mhmmhhh...". At that point I stood still and just watched the names in top-left corner on the screen. There was "MAS" "ALO" "RAI"....heart misses a beat or two...."VET"....another few missed beats.."HAM" PARTY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 3 Nov 2008, 09:42 (Ref:2326747)   #2
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Glock messed up at Juncao, before that i was hiding behind me hands, then yeah, saw HAM in P5, and party time!

I can Imagine it was the other was round for the Brazillians there...
Old 3 Nov 2008, 09:46 (Ref:2326753)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The second he overtook Glock, my heart sank
Old 3 Nov 2008, 10:00 (Ref:2326765)   #4
BeVeR
Rookie

England
Bristol
BeVeR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so how much was Glock payed, last corner last lap it makes you think its been done before
Old 3 Nov 2008, 10:11 (Ref:2326775)   #5
Robert
Racer

Robert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeVeR
so how much was Glock payed, last corner last lap it makes you think its been done before
Do you think they paid Trulli as well, some feat, identical lap times by choice!
Old 3 Nov 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2326779)   #6
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeVeR
Did you mean "paid"?
Old 3 Nov 2008, 11:48 (Ref:2326867)   #7
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Glock did a fantastic job. The first three laps after everyone else had changed he was the fastest man on the circuit by a good margin. When the rain tipped down in the last 2 laps he was 5 seconds faster than Trulli. Overall, he gained about 6 seconds on the field by staying out and not changing; Trulli lost around 10.

I think I realized it from 3 sources simultaneously - a live chat when about six people typed GLOCK, seeing a slow Toyota on the pooter screen and Radio 5 going up an octave.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 11:48 (Ref:2326868)   #8
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
And had Toyota wanted to give the title to McLaren they'd've just pitted with everyone else. They rolled the bones for a better result. They were about 20 seconds' worth of rain short of getting a 4th place; as it was the gamble got Glock ahead of Kova.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 11:56 (Ref:2326874)   #9
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
James Allen and Martin Brundle both were splutting about Glock in a kind of "is it, isn't it" way, but I was trying not to get too excited (fearing a Murry Walker type gaffe, in case it was Trulli going a lap down or somthing.... )

However mass celebrations erupted in our house the moment Hamilton crossed the line, and the graphic confirmed 5th...
Old 3 Nov 2008, 12:16 (Ref:2326893)   #10
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r
However mass celebrations erupted in our house the moment Hamilton crossed the line, and the graphic confirmed 5th...
Exactly. Things were happening so quickly that I wasn't sure until the graphic popped up on the screen showing that Hamilton had finished fifth...
Old 3 Nov 2008, 12:43 (Ref:2326912)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I kind of knew it was Glock when he appeared on the screen, I was sure that wasn't Trulli's helmet.

But I only believed it when the position showed up on the screen when Hamilton crossed the line and Brundle shouted "YES!", man that was tense. I never want to sit through something like that again!
Old 3 Nov 2008, 12:48 (Ref:2326916)   #12
MatthewC
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Wales
MatthewC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was (like many others!) hiding in my hands, but on the last corner when he passed that Toyota with the yellow marker on the top. YYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSS!

Campaign to get Alfa Romeo back into the WTCC!
Old 3 Nov 2008, 13:02 (Ref:2326935)   #13
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I knew it all along. I predicted the whole thing I tell you.

I knew it the second I saw that Toyota. Mainly because the Speed commentators screamed 'IT'S GLOCK'!
Old 3 Nov 2008, 13:08 (Ref:2326939)   #14
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I saw Hamilton right beside Glock, I knew he would just stroll past. Even when Massa was cruising it, I felt that there was going to be one last twist.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 13:29 (Ref:2326953)   #15
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Got a bit confused in the excitement, only really twigged on when "5 Hamilton" appeared when he crossed the line.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 13:41 (Ref:2326962)   #16
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw him go past Glock, and then my web stream died. Of all the times....gah...cue frantic MSN messages to friends watching the race - which garnered no response, as they were all too busy jumping up and down. The web stream came back halfway through Lewis's slowing down lap. I'm never going to rely on any form of web stream for something important again!
Old 3 Nov 2008, 13:49 (Ref:2326971)   #17
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I was thinking to myself "Not again, don't blow it again" and then i quickly went through my head which guys hadnt pitted and i thought "It's gone, everyone has pitted".

Then on the last lap MB saying about glock being 18 seconds in front on slick tyres i was like "C'mon!!"

As sonn as they MB & JA said is that Glock i was shouting "BLOW UP!!!" to Glock then realised how close LH was and shouted "FLOOR IT!!.

As soon as LH got pass i remember shouting "* You Massa!! You not got it, the title is coming home to Britain and McLaren!"
Old 3 Nov 2008, 14:26 (Ref:2327004)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I know he got it when a saw him passing Glock at Junção. I was counting everybody passing and I knew he would end up being 5th again. Never doubted for a second under that heavy rain.
Old 4 Nov 2008, 09:28 (Ref:2327692)   #19
shugruah
Rookie

Portugal
Porto
shugruah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I was thinking yesterday of oppening a thread similiar to this one.

OMG, my heart...

I was watching on the web in some chinese chanel, so the info was a complete mess, I had no livetiming from de f1 website...

strangly, after the rain started lewis wasn't runing away from vettel... Then he was passed by vettel and some bmw's and the chinese were still speaking chinese...

I never realised that Glock was in front, so I thought that toyota was being lapped. I couldn't believe... After last year, the same feeling: for some reason the car just wasn't good enough even for a red bull...

and then, out of nowhere, on the screen...
1 Mas
2 Alo
3 Rai
4 Vet
5 Ham!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"it's a kind of magic"
Old 4 Nov 2008, 11:25 (Ref:2327787)   #20
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the pass on TV. Such a horrible moment seeing Hamilton pass Glock. I cancelled the party.
Old 4 Nov 2008, 12:10 (Ref:2327827)   #21
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
No, you mean the horrible moment was Vettel passing Hamilton.

The crazy unbelievable moment was Hamilton catching Glock.

I didn't believe it until the final standings were updated on the screen.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 4 Nov 2008, 17:39 (Ref:2328056)   #22
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r
James Allen and Martin Brundle both were splutting about Glock in a kind of "is it, isn't it" way, but I was trying not to get too excited (fearing a Murry Walker type gaffe, in case it was Trulli going a lap down or somthing.... )
I was thinking, they haven't messed up have they

Quote:
Running down the stairs cheering

I only watched the last lap and a half when i heard Dad moan about Hamilton losing 5th, he turned of at that point i put it on
Old 4 Nov 2008, 18:23 (Ref:2328081)   #23
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Your dad therefore gets an assist.
Old 4 Nov 2008, 19:36 (Ref:2328133)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I realised that Trulli was much less than a lap behind Hamilton, so I was 99% certain that the slow Toyota was Glock. I realised well before any of Massa's team or the vast majority of the crowd, to put it another way.
Old 4 Nov 2008, 19:40 (Ref:2328140)   #25
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I only believed it when I saw the "5 HAM" on the side of the screen!