Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 6 Dec 2008, 16:10 (Ref:2349055)   #1
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For best exhaust performance you want to keep the heat in the exhaust - look at F1 and Top Fuel cars - they do NOT lag their exhaust pipes. There might be a tiny benefit in lagging a closed wheel car as it MIGHT reduce the under bonnet temperatures sufficiently to give another horsepower or two, but I'm not a believer.

Exhausts scavenge better with higher temperatures. Lagging also increases the chances of the exhaust material becoming too hot and it softening/deforming.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 16:42 (Ref:2349056)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which is exactly the reason we stopped lagging Manifolds years ago,got pee'd off with having to keep welding them up again!!
Old 6 Dec 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2349064)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe
For best exhaust performance you want to keep the heat in the exhaust - look at F1 and Top Fuel cars - they do NOT lag their exhaust pipes.
I am a little confused by this. I thought the point of lagging was to keep the heat in the exhaust.
I guess F1 don't do it because the inlet is quite separate from the exhaust and the temperatures acheived on the exhaust pipes are very high meaning simple lagging would be difficult.
Quote:
There might be a tiny benefit in lagging a closed wheel car as it MIGHT reduce the under bonnet temperatures sufficiently to give another horsepower or two, but I'm not a believer.
I've often wondered about this. On our 6 cyl XJS the exhaust manifold was on the opposite side to the inlet. We wrapped the exhaust, but I did wonder if it was worth it.
Quote:
Exhausts scavenge better with higher temperatures. Lagging also increases the chances of the exhaust material becoming too hot and it softening/deforming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Which is exactly the reason we stopped lagging Manifolds years ago,got pee'd off with having to keep welding them up again!!
Never had that problem on the XJS, but it was a meaty manifold.
However the engine is out of the MGB at the moment, so it is the perfect time to lag the exhaust. I thought it was a good idea on this as the exhaust and inlet are on the same side and very close. This could help inlet temperatures?
So I split the thread because I was interested in everyone's views on this.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 18:35 (Ref:2349083)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
However the engine is out of the MGB at the moment, so it is the perfect time to lag the exhaust. I thought it was a good idea on this as the exhaust and inlet are on the same side and very close. This could help inlet temperatures?
That's a good idea on a non crossflow head and if you look here http://www.flickr.com/photos/16345037@N03/2469669739/
I used this to good effect in my car (although you can't see the lagging) in the mid 90s complete with cooling tubes for the inlet manifold after testing it on the dyno with an air line. I never had any trouble with cracking exhaust manifold tubes because they were all individual and sprung loaded into the head and the collector box.
All this attention to detail made for an engine that kept its HP throughout the race, and at the time was pretty unbeatable and gave me loads of class wins.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Dec 2008, 18:45 (Ref:2349094)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
If anyone is confused on the start of this thread look here http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111697
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Dec 2008, 18:49 (Ref:2349096)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nice set-up.

The MGBs inlet manifold is shielded well from the exhaust, but I will make sure the heat shield is as good as it can be before bolting back together.

I'd not considered cooling the inlet manifold. I'm intrigued that you chose to cool the manifold rather than provide cool air into the carbs. Is that because of the lack of space by the side of the webers?

When moving I have no problem with temperatures even on the hottest days, so putting in more ducting could b an option for us.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 19:20 (Ref:2349115)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I had tried a cold air box in the past, but the inlet manifolds were bespoke and built to the optimum length to compromise for power throughout the range. As you have rightly said there wasn't" a lot of room without major surgery to the inner wing (not allowed anyway) or canting the engine over enough. If I did that I might as well have had a downdraft head.http://www.flickr.com/photos/16345037@N03/2279860027/
We did make sure that there was plenty of cool air funnelled from the front panel.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 19:26 (Ref:2349118)   #8
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know we all speak English, but WTH is "Lagging?"
Old 6 Dec 2008, 19:36 (Ref:2349127)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It is exhuast wrap:
Old 6 Dec 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2349132)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Insulating with a fireproof material,winding it around the manifold.
We have done a back to back on this,several years ago on a rolling road,one with,one without,the result? 0!!
I should add that the cracking occurs mainly in Stainless,not just Bs but also on Griffiths.The problem starts with condensation building up in the lagging and then being burnt off again.Cooling the inlet?,4in air intake to with-in 10inches of the carb will cure it,downside of in cooler weather the carb can start icing up.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 21:32 (Ref:2349187)   #11
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ohhh Thanks Adam

Or what about ceramic coating your headers.

My headers are ceramic coated to move heat out the exhaust, not radiate into the engine bay
Old 6 Dec 2008, 21:36 (Ref:2349190)   #12
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we do that to over here AU, its just the lagging route is cheaper .i m not sure how much benefit either has though...
Old 6 Dec 2008, 21:51 (Ref:2349199)   #13
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
A few years ago a couple of riders were disqualified from Aprilia Mille Championship races (bikes, for the uninitiated!) for lagging their exhausts. It was said to give a 1-1½ BHP gain.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 22:21 (Ref:2349216)   #14
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
It keeps my engine bay and my foot well cooler and that is a big help. HP changes, I have no idea
Old 6 Dec 2008, 22:30 (Ref:2349224)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
On a bike, excellent. The exhaust is pretty much out in the open too.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 23:25 (Ref:2349248)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
A few years ago a couple of riders were disqualified from Aprilia Mille Championship races (bikes, for the uninitiated!) for lagging their exhausts. It was said to give a 1-1½ BHP gain.
Dave. Out of interest were they 2 or 4 strokes ?
Old 7 Dec 2008, 00:21 (Ref:2349276)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Its not just about performance though is it, it also keeps heat away from starter motors and wiring and makes the engine easier to work on while still hot.
Old 7 Dec 2008, 00:30 (Ref:2349280)   #18
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Well if you will run those engines with exhaust manifolds on both sides then that could cause a problem !
Old 7 Dec 2008, 10:05 (Ref:2349447)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah and bloody hot they get too!
Old 7 Dec 2008, 22:25 (Ref:2349882)   #20
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I am a little confused by this. I thought the point of lagging was to keep the heat in the exhaust.
An interesting point, which caused me to re-read my post. Amusingly, it seems I've gone mad. I don't like lagging because it keeps the heat in the system, and I meant to say that exhausts work better if they can get rid of the heat through the tube walls.

I'm not quite sure how I managed to write essentially the exact opposite in the middle of the text!, especially when I then state that lagging keeps heat away from the engine bay. I guess I must have been thinking about the counter-argument as I wrote it, and accidentally wrote that instead

Sorry guys. Start again, but discuss what I meant not what I wrote
Old 8 Dec 2008, 09:27 (Ref:2350112)   #21
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Dave. Out of interest were they 2 or 4 strokes ?
Four-stroke V-twins.
Old 9 Dec 2008, 23:10 (Ref:2351340)   #22
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
On my straight six I've lagged the exhaust manifolds down to the silencer. Worked wonders for underbonnet temperatures... no idea what its done for the performance, but now I don't melt my aluminium bulkhead or bubble the paint on the bonnet when I stop!
Old 9 Dec 2008, 23:17 (Ref:2351344)   #23
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Yeah and bloody hot they get too!
I though that may be I could carry my Lunch with me.

You know heat up the left overs wrapped in aluminum foil by putting them in the passenger side foot well.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 08:42 (Ref:2371166)   #24
S14GJC
Rookie

United Kingdom
S14GJC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all,

Jusr reading abou this lagging/heat wrap. Recently I had heat problems with my Astra VXR done at Thorney Motorsport. It's pushing out just over 300BHP huge amounts of torque but we had problems with heat. John recommened a cermaic coating he sells from Zircotec, which we had done on the manifold, turbo housing, downpipe and half the system.

BIG difference I can tell you! There is much less heat now the performance is better, we put my car on John's rolling road and found the turbo performing better. Engine bay temp was down too which helps for the induction too. Another plus is it's so much nicer than the wrap, you hardly see it there and John tells me I won't need to worry about it again for as long as the bits are working! It wasn't the cheapest solution but it certanly makes a difference, well worth investing in!
Old 26 Jan 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2379708)   #25
TomBE
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
TomBE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from what i have heard / made up from it / tought about:

- atmo. engines: wrapping keeps heat in the exhausts, which means it has a larger volume, therefore a higher velocity and by that draws (a small) underpressure at the exhaustvalve when it opens, which should result in (a small) hp increase. plus it keeps the (radiation-) heat from the headers from giving it to the engineblock, therefore keeping it cooler.

- turbo engines: wrapping the headers keeps the heat (which is converted to pressure in the turbo) from escaping, therefore having more energy to give to the turbocompressor, and thereby increasing pressure thus power.

downside is ofcourse the immense temperatures of the headers.

if you have any toughts or confirmations, please note!