Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Dec 2008, 20:46 (Ref:2362952)   #1
cthib10
Racer

United States
Florida
cthib10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Black Swan Racing 2009

I was just wondering if anyone has some information about Black Swan Racing in 2009 for the ALMS? Are they for sure coming back? If so will they be running the Ford GT-R again? (if not is there a reason why?) I hope so! I was really happy that Robertson Racing and Black Swan Racing both decided to give the car a shot I just hope they don't give up on it because it would be great to see them finish on the podium atleast once.

Last edited by cthib10; 30 Dec 2008 at 20:52.
Old 30 Dec 2008, 22:30 (Ref:2363003)   #2
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Think it would be gettin harder to see either team reach the podium now. Porsche and Ferrari have improved cars seemingly every race and now with the prep P&M have shown they can do to a car, the field is passing the GT-R by.
Old 30 Dec 2008, 22:45 (Ref:2363016)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
The field is passing the GT-R by?

The car didn't stand a chance out of the box, and it certainly won't get any better for them. The only chance a Ford GT-R has of being on the podium is some type of Shakespearian comedy/tragedy in the first corner.

There has been no further information from either Ford team since the end of last year. Their numbers would be a bonus to the grid, but don't expect them to touch any of the top Porsche's, Ferrari, BWM or Corvette.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 10:48 (Ref:2363219)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Orange font?????
Old 31 Dec 2008, 13:59 (Ref:2363323)   #5
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
That's Florida for you... Tanned type!

I'd be amazed if Ford's GT did anything of note over that side of the water. They do seem to have a fighting chance when Matech prepped, though?
Old 31 Dec 2008, 14:33 (Ref:2363334)   #6
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey
That's Florida for you... Tanned type!

I'd be amazed if Ford's GT did anything of note over that side of the water. They do seem to have a fighting chance when Matech prepped, though?
When you do rules equalization series, anything should have a chance.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 18:55 (Ref:2363445)   #7
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be totally fair, Matech has done an excellent job preparing and running their cars - definitely among the very top organizations in GT3. I would like to see them build and run cars in non-equalization series (which should be coming, with GT1) as I expect they will acquit themselves well.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 19:24 (Ref:2363456)   #8
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Not so sure about Matech. They did pretty well in the European championship, but their season in the German series was one big string of DNFs....
Old 2 Jan 2009, 20:01 (Ref:2364208)   #9
alwayswatching
Rookie

alwayswatching should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Black Swan

A little bird told me that their transporter at least, is parked up at Jim Bell's shop down in Miami................not to say there is anything inside it of course..........
Old 2 Jan 2009, 23:22 (Ref:2364290)   #10
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Did the bird go to the PRI show in Orlando also?

Roberto, Centrally Floridian
Old 3 Jan 2009, 07:59 (Ref:2364357)   #11
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
building and running the Ford GT-R is it cheaper than acquiring a GT3 Porsche or a F430 ready to go ?
Old 3 Jan 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2364461)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe it is if you just want a bit of fun , but I reckon that would end when the results dont come !!!
Old 4 Jan 2009, 02:48 (Ref:2364820)   #13
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru_WRX_STi
building and running the Ford GT-R is it cheaper than acquiring a GT3 Porsche or a F430 ready to go ?
I had the chance to speak to Oliver Kuttner at length at Sebring. He said the first batch of Kuttner/Doran Ford GT-R's were sold for $682,000 USD each. The replacement bodywork was approx. half the cost of the Ferrari. So, the car is roughly the same but parts much less, and that was the sales pitch to the Robertson's and Tim Pappas. FWIW, he also told me the engine made 880 BHP on the dyno but with the restrictor it was down to 470 BHP in race trim. If there was a second batch of these cars ever to be made (not likely in today's economy) he told me they would be priced around $800,000 USD.
Old 4 Jan 2009, 05:07 (Ref:2364833)   #14
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's no way you'd have gotten a Ferrari 430 GT delivered ready to race for the 2008 season for anywhere near $680K. See LTC's "Cost of Racing Part 2" for the real number.

The new price for the Ford is nearer reality for the Ferrari.
Old 4 Jan 2009, 13:55 (Ref:2364995)   #15
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what is it that drives the cost of the cars up so far?

5 years ago, i don't think a gt2 car would have been over $500k USD, and i would have thought considerably less. what has taken the price of these cars so far beyond that?

is there any way to reduce some of those elements that have inflated prices?

and would that actually help reduce the costs to teams?...
Old 4 Jan 2009, 14:22 (Ref:2365009)   #16
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Exchane rates??
Look where the Euro was vs the Dollar at the beginnning of the decade....
Old 4 Jan 2009, 14:29 (Ref:2365012)   #17
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think it's more than just exchange rates. even with the radical swings the euro and dollar have taken, and including inflation, you don't get a 40-50% increase in prices making sense...
Old 5 Jan 2009, 08:19 (Ref:2365412)   #18
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
I think it was Tim Pappas, but one of the owners was into real estate and property. Given the current climate, its quite possible, that he has other priorities for 2009 than racing. either way, I assume you know Falken now have their own (or someone else's under their name) team with a 997
Old 5 Jan 2009, 10:24 (Ref:2365474)   #19
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi
i think it's more than just exchange rates. even with the radical swings the euro and dollar have taken, and including inflation, you don't get a 40-50% increase in prices making sense...
demand has helped too .. both Porsche and Ferrari sold a lot of cars eligible for many championships ..

Ciao Marco
Old 6 Jan 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2366476)   #20
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi
what is it that drives the cost of the cars up so far?
"delivered ready-to-race," and "list" or "sticker" are two very, very different things. I can't share detail specific to the Ferrari, but I can point to to Part 4 of the "Cost of Racing," which takes up the case of a Riley MkXX, and to Riley's web site. The dominant DP is listed at $402,000. By the time you'd be ready to take to the track, you'd have $650 in it.

I'm told exchange rate is set at time of order, and there is duty and shipping from Italy in that, too. Numbers are based on 2008 actual car purchases and racing budgets from various sources.

Last edited by TWK; 6 Jan 2009 at 17:21.