Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 6 Jan 2009, 11:33 (Ref:2366262)   #1
dmcl
Racer

dmcl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone remember a British TV Show about..

Hi all,

just the other day, something leeched out of the deep dark crevices of my cranium and I can recall a British TV mini series from the early to mid eighties where the basic plot was a middle aged woman who decides to go racing - in a fairly heavily modified mini - and the drama with her family as she went about it, preparing the car, getting her licence etc.

would anyone in the expanse of ten tenths remember the show? As I say, i can remember it being on in the mid 80s on the Australian Broadcast Corporation TV channel, so would imagine with delays etc that it would have been a BBC production from early 80s,

If anyone has a clue as to the title for the show, it would be greatly appreciated, then the real challenge will be if there is such a thing as a copy in a viewable form.

Cheeers
Old 6 Jan 2009, 12:17 (Ref:2366288)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I seem to recall the show starred Julie Covington and another lady and the car was a Metro 6R4 before it was released onto the world rally scene. The guy who ran the team is the actor who later played the Italian General in Allo Allo. The theme was a woman who wanted to go rallying and the usual scepticism shown by everyone in motorsport regarding a woman driver.

I hope that helps you? I'm sure the title had the word Women in it somewhere.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 12:21 (Ref:2366295)   #3
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
all hail my google research skills - does this look right?

DRIVING AMBITION

BBC / 8x50m-e / 1984

Writer: Paula Milne / Producer: Carol Robertson

Drama series. Middle aged housewife Donna Hewitt sets her sights on becoming a motor racing driver.

With:- ROSEMARY MARTIN as Donna Hewitt / GAVIN RICHARDS as Ken Lark / MARK HEWITT as Ray Hewitt / ANNE CARROLL as Jen Robinson / DONALD GEE as Mick Robinson
Old 6 Jan 2009, 12:40 (Ref:2366308)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
That sounds right to me Terri, forget my bit about Julie Covington, that must have been a different series. It was definately centered around a Metro 6R4 though.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 12:50 (Ref:2366318)   #5
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Wasn't Julie Covington in the Rock one with Rula Lenska?
Old 6 Jan 2009, 13:32 (Ref:2366351)   #6
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
That sounds right to me Terri, forget my bit about Julie Covington, that must have been a different series. It was definately centered around a Metro 6R4 though.
I think it was a mini, which was magically transformed from a road car to a Maguire version

A lot of it was filmed at Brands.

Last edited by Alan Raine; 6 Jan 2009 at 13:37.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 13:35 (Ref:2366352)   #7
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
GAVIN RICHARDS as Ken Lark
I'm sure I read that a real-life bloke called Ken Lark took up club racing after taking an interest in the series due to his fictional namesake.

How's that for a random fact?
Old 6 Jan 2009, 13:57 (Ref:2366367)   #8
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Is that the series that appeared to be sponsored by Wendy Wools or am I imagining it?
Old 6 Jan 2009, 14:28 (Ref:2366383)   #9
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yep!

Rock Follies with Charlotte Cornwell, Julie Covington and Rula Lenska.

My girlfriend at the time loved it and never missed an episode. I personally thought it was rubbish but sat through it anyway.......
Old 6 Jan 2009, 14:38 (Ref:2366391)   #10
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
^ Fantastic theme tune, sung by Dennis Waterman's wife. (Plus the other girls.)
Old 6 Jan 2009, 18:22 (Ref:2366517)   #11
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
^ Fantastic theme tune, sung by Dennis Waterman's wife. (Plus the other girls.)
Feem toon surely?
Old 6 Jan 2009, 19:45 (Ref:2366559)   #12
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driving Ambition

Peter Baldwin was as an advisor/driver for the series iirc
Old 6 Jan 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2366624)   #13
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Your right Stephen the MG Metro 6R4 did appear in TV darma series.

The programme was called "The Winning Streak" and it was made by Yorkshire Television. It features a 6R4 in a story about a motor trader who goes rallying and includes footage shot on real rallies as well as a great deal of specially staged film.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 06:42 (Ref:2366818)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Thanks, I thought I was going mad for a moment. It was my first sight of a 6R4, oh what a lovely machine.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 08:20 (Ref:2366840)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Is that the series that appeared to be sponsored by Wendy Wools or am I imagining it?

Yep,Wendy Wools was a Yorkshire based company,named after my ex-boss'es wife,Wendy Carter,now sadly deceased.There was also a championship with that name.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 09:01 (Ref:2366855)   #16
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tinia!

Quote:
No...wasn't she the one that sang "Don't cry for me I've got Tinia!!"
Old 7 Jan 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2367266)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
No...wasn't she the one that sang "Don't cry for me I've got Tinia!!"

I thought that was "Dont cry for me I've got a Cortina".Zef's all time favorite toon.
Old 7 Jan 2009, 22:33 (Ref:2367346)   #18
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The Winning Streak ! I seem to remember that the 6R4 used in most of the filming was a real boy racer lookalike job in whatever that particular bit of nonsense was.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 7 Jan 2009 at 22:36.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Jan 2009, 22:44 (Ref:2367355)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just thinking that Winning Streak was the 6R4 and Driving Ambition was Peter Baldwin's Mini. I remembered both for being series about motor racing, and both for being fairly rubbish...
Old 8 Jan 2009, 04:12 (Ref:2367400)   #20
dmcl
Racer

dmcl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks everyone for your prompt response, nice to know im not the only one who remembers such things, i now have found some details on imdb.com as well,
thanks again