Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 15 Mar 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2415867)   #1
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ballast resistor

Does anyone use a ballast resistor in their FF1600 ignition circuit? The coil instructions seem to require one but I don't remember ever using them before?
Old 15 Mar 2009, 11:01 (Ref:2415901)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
If you are using a 9v coil yes.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Mar 2009, 20:07 (Ref:2416157)   #3
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Gordon. It's a Lumenition and says it needs one so I guess it does, just don't remember using one before.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2416745)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Basicly there are 3 types of ignition coils (this is the normal old type as fitted to most cars up to 15-20 years ago.
Distributors with points 12v. With points 9v and ballast resistor. Electronic without points.
A 9v coil will run without a ballast resistor for a short while but will soon overheat and pack up, and burn the points surface.
Its easy to check what coils are what with an ohms meter, disconnect the low tension wires and check the reading between the two coil terminals.
A 12v points coil will have about 4 ohms, a ballast coil about 2 and an electronic 1 or less as its almost a complete short !
One word of warning though a knackered coil can give a false reading ! also check the ohms meter first to make sure its zeroing by holding the probes together.
I know this may sound very basic but you would be suprised at the amount of so called "racing mechanics" that dont check things or dont know how to !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Jun 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2475935)   #5
Ray92
Rookie

Northern Ireland
Co Armagh
Ray92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't fit a Ballast resistor. Just a 12v Bosch blue coil. I have tried them all including Lumenition high power coil but used to get missfires under load. Whiped off the ballast resistor and the lumenition coil, fitted the Bosch never had a problem since.
Old 6 Jun 2009, 09:07 (Ref:2476387)   #6
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Well I fitted the resistor and everything seems fine, coil runs cool, but as it happens I also have an old blue bosch as a spare so thanks for the advice.