Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Jul 2001, 15:59 (Ref:113411)   #1
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Malaysian Night Race?!?!?

Autosprout says Ernie and the Malaysian head honchos have been discussing preliminary plans for a night race to be held at Sepang... Ooh err...
Old 5 Jul 2001, 16:11 (Ref:113419)   #2
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool!
Old 5 Jul 2001, 17:16 (Ref:113450)   #3
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh. Just read Autosprout, and it says that it will be floodlit like cricket or tennis, so what's the point? The only point is that it'll make it fall in the middle of the day in Europe, and will therefore please Ernie
Old 5 Jul 2001, 17:31 (Ref:113453)   #4
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!

Ernie....? Who's that?

Sounds just wonderful. Now we can turn it into a typical Saturday night bullring series....NASCAR here we come!!! God help us.
:confused:

Last edited by jimclark; 5 Jul 2001 at 17:33.
Old 5 Jul 2001, 21:29 (Ref:113539)   #5
Kenny W.
Racer

Kenny W. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They haven't mentioned the two 12" headlights that are Max's next plan to slow the cars down.
Old 5 Jul 2001, 22:28 (Ref:113554)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I prefer a decent race over a night race.
Old 5 Jul 2001, 23:52 (Ref:113582)   #7
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Ernie is Bernie!

DNQ has hit the nail on the head - a decent race over a night race. Scrap Sepang and then we'll be getting somewhere...
Old 6 Jul 2001, 02:05 (Ref:113602)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Why not indeed it might be fun for a change..Glowing brakes etc etc.. also quite a bit cooler than running during the day..So it can't hurt to try one race and see what the reaction to it is!
Old 6 Jul 2001, 02:30 (Ref:113605)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
I prefer a decent race over a night race.
Good idea, just shift the race to Philip Island.
Old 6 Jul 2001, 11:41 (Ref:113696)   #10
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So it looks like I'm the only one who thinks it's a CRACKING idea!! I say do it!! Plus, more importantly for those concerned, by placing it in the evening it should maximise TV coverage around the world so all those LOVLEY tobacco ads can be shown in Europe at a civilised hour.
Old 6 Jul 2001, 12:42 (Ref:113732)   #11
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its a wretched idea. Besides, the track will be floodlit and there will be no apparent difference to Television viewers, (forget dramatic showers of sparks and glowing brake discs.)

One possible advantage is that conditions for the drivers will be more cooler and the track temp will be cooler as well. This however does not remedy the situation that some idiot created by proposing Malaysia as a site for a GP in the first place.
Old 6 Jul 2001, 15:08 (Ref:113756)   #12
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Im on the fence on this one...I dont mind some of the night racing i have seen but mainly on ovals ..i dont really like circuit racing under lights but this maybe something a little different.

either way I have decided to make this the weekly poll...cast your vote at tentenths.com/poll and come back here and tell us why you voted for what you did
Old 6 Jul 2001, 16:30 (Ref:113769)   #13
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I voted yes (like the four others who had already voted on the poll at the time). I think it sounds like an exciting idea, certainly to try as an experiment. Besides, Sepang isn't that bad. It'll add some diversity, and that's reason good enough for me! But here's a suggestion: How about only making the corners floodlit, plus the pit lane?
Old 6 Jul 2001, 18:17 (Ref:113798)   #14
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
night racing is really good!
they use it in the btcc and it provides the best racing of the year!!! the cars are a lot closer together and it'll give someone else a chance to win (especially if they've raced le mans!!)
Old 7 Jul 2001, 00:12 (Ref:113933)   #15
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
I'm all for night racing, but not at a circuit as poor as that HEAP OF CONCRETE they call a race track at Sepang...
Old 7 Jul 2001, 00:18 (Ref:113938)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is an idea enthusiastically promulgated by one Bobby Rahal, who say (and I quote): " A lot depends on whether F1 sees itself as entertainment and then I guess it can make things unique. They do it in the States and it is very popular. "

This supposes two things: (1) F1 is not sport, it is entertainment; and (2) if it is popular in the United States, it is bound to be popular all over the world. Just look at NFL Football!

I vote ABSOLUTELY NOT. F1 has been cheapened and watered down and messed up enough. Turning it into the BTCC will not make it better.
Old 7 Jul 2001, 00:28 (Ref:113943)   #17
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Common guys, think about it. Most of us watch it on TV and it will make absolutely no difference. The cars will race around, the lighting will be slightly different, and no one will notice the difference apart from the time of the race broadcast. Why on earth would the racing be different? The same cars race around at the same speed differential, the same cars will be lapped, we will watch (on video replay for me) the same processional race as the previous year. So, what's new? Who cares?
Old 8 Jul 2001, 05:53 (Ref:114302)   #18
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!

Liz...I'm frightened. We agree on something.
Old 8 Jul 2001, 23:07 (Ref:114570)   #19
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and what is wrong with the BTCC i ask you?????
Old 8 Jul 2001, 23:56 (Ref:114578)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BTCC is a fine series of tintops with big triple-beam headlights and fenders and doors, where people hit each other routinely and where they find it very difficult to race at night because the illumniation on the track is uneven and it is hard to adjust your vision at that speed. This night racing stuff is even more fun if it should happen to rain.

If F1 needs something to make it more exciting, how about getting rid of the grooved tires, driver crutches, automatic gearboxes, brake lights and bringing back cars that can overtake and pilots who can drive them?
Old 9 Jul 2001, 02:12 (Ref:114595)   #21
jimclark
Veteran

United States

That didn't last long, my fear has dissipated. "The one constant is change itself" (or something like that).

The high tech cars are not "easier" to drive; if anything, less forgiving. As I often ask: What's the infatuation with "slicks"? The problem lies in that the tech has caught and surpassed the circuits. I won't go on and on but the fix is really not so simple.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the heck out of high tech....(I'm a poet and don't even know it....)
Old 9 Jul 2001, 04:21 (Ref:114619)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by jimclark

The high tech cars are not "easier" to drive; if anything, less forgiving.
This statement has me intrigued. Without my argueing with you, since we share the same sentiments on all time heros, could you at least explain your thoughts as to why the high tech cars are more difficult to drive?:confused:
Old 21 Jul 2001, 20:32 (Ref:120045)   #23
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jimclark
"? The problem lies in that the tech has caught and surpassed the circuits. I won't go on and on but the fix is really not so simple.

p
Well said Jim, The width of the corners would be a good start.
Old 22 Jul 2001, 05:09 (Ref:120130)   #24
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seems the head-honchos are seriously considering the idea of a night-race in Malaysia, and it would be good as an experiment, but would they really want to try it out in the middle of a world-championship season? If the experiment went drastically wrong, then the **** would hit the fan, so to speak. If they do try it, then they should have the good sense to test it first, get the drivers reactions to it. If they like it, then go for it.

But I do agree with everyone who says that night racing will not make a lick of difference to the racing itself. Us Aussies will still have to stay up late to watch the race anyway!!!!

I've noticed Sepang has been mentioned as the likely venue. However, are there any other circuits that could be used. Monaco already has street lights: imagine F1 cars going round there in the dark? I think the word suicidal might come to mind!