Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Jul 2009, 02:32 (Ref:2498732)   #1
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shannons National - Eastern Creek July 18/19

The Shannons National Tour will be returning to Eastern Creek next weekend. A pretty good line up of categories with Australian GT, GT3 Cup, Formula 3, Manufactuers Championship, Commodore Cup, HQ's and Superkarts.

http://www.thenationals.com.au/story.asp?id=356

The most impressive point so far about the event has been the resemblance of promotion for the event. During the last week the event has been pushed through local Sydney newspapers with one paper in the Blue Mountains running a front page advert in line with its ticket and ride promotions.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 23:54 (Ref:2501242)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A good line up of classes, some pretty good looking fields, so is it just going to be me and D.R.T lobbing up this weekend?
Old 14 Jul 2009, 00:35 (Ref:2501267)   #3
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, the usual scruffy pack of media will be there too
Old 14 Jul 2009, 00:51 (Ref:2501274)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh, jolly good! I've been shopping for the media centre olympics. Think of what we had for Sandown, but better
Old 14 Jul 2009, 00:58 (Ref:2501276)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Just a bit of FYI for those who need some prodding, the weekend line up looks like-
12x F3
23x GTs
20x Porsche GT3s
28x Man Champers
21x Commodore Cup
29x Superkarts
8billion x HQ Holdens
Old 14 Jul 2009, 02:37 (Ref:2501298)   #6
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tickets are only $20 for Sunday as well, which includes Paddock Access.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 05:16 (Ref:2501327)   #7
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
Just a bit of FYI for those who need some prodding, the weekend line up looks like-
12x F3
23x GTs
20x Porsche GT3s
28x Man Champers
21x Commodore Cup
29x Superkarts
8billion x HQ Holdens
I wonder if the "Crowd pleasing" Dennis the menace Panna is going to make a Commodore Cup appearance?? He has been ON FIRE before at the creek...
Old 14 Jul 2009, 07:09 (Ref:2501356)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
obviously you will be there in attendance Baz
Old 14 Jul 2009, 23:24 (Ref:2501931)   #9
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
obviously you will be there in attendance Baz
You never know DRT... I have plenty of friends that will, who I would love to catch up with. Trouble is the photo of me with a red line thru it put up by your mates might cause a problem or 2 getting in
Old 15 Jul 2009, 01:58 (Ref:2501953)   #10
D.R.T.
Veteran

I am interested to know who one could get banned from attending a race track
Old 15 Jul 2009, 03:25 (Ref:2501968)   #11
Green Hornet
Racer

Green Hornet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At this rate the spectator roll up will hit double figures - WOW!
Old 15 Jul 2009, 05:02 (Ref:2501979)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
12x F3
23x GTs
20x Porsche GT3s
28x Man Champers
21x Commodore Cup
29x Superkarts
8billion x HQ Holdens
If they all show up, then quite a decent roll up of entries (except F3, but never has our top local open-wheeler formulae attracted 20+ runners regularly)

Looking forward to the HQs, its great to see that ten years after CAMS tried to oust them, they are still going strong
Old 15 Jul 2009, 05:29 (Ref:2501981)   #13
D.R.T.
Veteran

I guess that shows the foresight of CAMS!
Old 15 Jul 2009, 06:53 (Ref:2502017)   #14
alfacors
Veteran

Given the good fields and expecting good racing this weekend, has anyone stopped deriding the event long enough to suggest to other motorsport fans that it may actually be a good event to attend? Or will everyone sit in their armchairs and throw stones instead of actually attending and supporting an event in NSW....?
Old 15 Jul 2009, 09:46 (Ref:2502105)   #15
Green Hornet
Racer

Green Hornet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think anyone is is deriding this event just certain posters who continually deride the other series - that one that breaks new ground and draws fans.

Personally I looking forward to a great weekend's racing.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 15:46 (Ref:2502314)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
Given the good fields and expecting good racing this weekend, has anyone stopped deriding the event long enough to suggest to other motorsport fans that it may actually be a good event to attend? Or will everyone sit in their armchairs and throw stones instead of actually attending and supporting an event in NSW....?
Who in this thread has derided the event, it looks like most of us are going!
Old 15 Jul 2009, 17:17 (Ref:2502362)   #17
KSM86
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
KSM86 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
hey can some of you that are going plz film the gt race and post it up on youtube??
Old 18 Jul 2009, 10:26 (Ref:2503735)   #18
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
How did everyone enjoy their day? Pop by pit bays 8 or 9 tomorrow and say hello!
Old 19 Jul 2009, 08:59 (Ref:2504081)   #19
D.R.T.
Veteran

Eastern Creek presented a glorious Sydney day for Shannons Nationals today, the warmest race meeting in mid July for as long as I can remember.

Special mention to Matthew Sofi in grabbing his first win in F3, Dean Grant and David Wall for the race long duel including 3-4 lead changes and the Commodore Cup field for there usual door to door racing. The GT3 Cup Demolition Derby was also highly entertaining.
Old 20 Jul 2009, 00:52 (Ref:2504535)   #20
alfacors
Veteran

Congrats also to Sam Zavaglia for winning the Australian Superkart Championship, John Wood for a dominant performance all weekend in the HQ Nationals and Steve Glenney taking outright victory in the Australian Manufacturers Championship on debut in his Evo X.
Old 20 Jul 2009, 01:22 (Ref:2504540)   #21
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
D.R.T. you didn't pop by and say hello

Having spent the past four days there thinking about the Eastern Creek popularity debate, I've got a few views on the matter.

I think the place is just too big- there are too many spectator mounds, too many big wide expanses for people to set up camp on. That's not a bad thing at all, but when you have for example 30,000 people there, it would be incredibly spread out and decidedly empty. Jam 30,000 people in Oran Park, Winton, QR, Barbagallo etc, and the place looks and feels packed,with some real atmosphere. To fill all of the vantage points at Eastern Creek to get a similar feeling would probably require 200,000 punters. Even with a good crowd on the weekend, it still felt a bit empty and soul-less.

As for the viewing spots, I thought that there were plenty of good spots to watch the action at with a decent view of a majority of the track. Anywhere near turn one is brilliant, what an awesome corner!

If I were chief in charge of Eastern Creek, I would probably splash out on some paint. The place looks and feels in some spots to be a lot older than the 20 years it is. Paint the walls around the track, give the place a bit of a birthday and she'd be as good as new..
Old 20 Jul 2009, 01:32 (Ref:2504544)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
Congrats also to Sam Zavaglia for winning the Australian Superkart Championship, John Wood for a dominant performance all weekend in the HQ Nationals and Steve Glenney taking outright victory in the Australian Manufacturers Championship on debut in his Evo X.
Shall we now see a parity fiddle for the Evo X?? Did Mr Glenney just restrict that car's B12 potential?
Old 20 Jul 2009, 01:44 (Ref:2504549)   #23
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Steve drove incredibly well- we knew he would be quick, and he had enough race craft to hold on in his first meeting, top stuff!

The Product cars are still having a fair few centre diff problems, I think if it was anyone less than Mark King driving, it wouldn't have been a front runner.

...but they are beatable, Castle in the old Subaru was able to beat Salmon in a clean fight in the last race. Eastern Creek is a horsepower circuit, so we weren't expecting the Subaru to be near their pace. The next two rounds at Morgan Park and Oran Park aren't massive engine power circuits by any stretch, so it will be very interesting to see what happens there...
Old 20 Jul 2009, 02:55 (Ref:2504559)   #24
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great weekend of racing. I'll always love Oran Park, but there's something special about Eastern Creek as well. It really is a fantastic circuit. It's a shame that there is no 'major' events there, so I hope the Int. GT Class comes down next year.
Congrats to Mr. Sofi and Mr. Holdsworth - great drives, boys.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 20 Jul 2009, 03:23 (Ref:2504568)   #25
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
D.R.T. you didn't pop by and say hello
Apologies crash, didnt see your post untill after returning yesterday evening.

Quote:
I think the place is just too big- there are too many spectator mounds, too many big wide expanses for people to set up camp on. That's not a bad thing at all, but when you have for example 30,000 people there, it would be incredibly spread out and decidedly empty. Jam 30,000 people in Oran Park, Winton, QR, Barbagallo etc, and the place looks and feels packed,with some real atmosphere. To fill all of the vantage points at Eastern Creek to get a similar feeling would probably require 200,000 punters. Even with a good crowd on the weekend, it still felt a bit empty and soul-less.
A very fair assessment. Eastern Creek is of Grand Prix length, many Australians (race fans and category promoters) say they want tracks on international length and with character. Here we have a circuit that holds a level 2 FIA license with great facilities and provides great racing but the down side is obviously the circuit and spectator areas are going to be equally big.

This cant be solved, you either want a Queensland Raceway or an Eastern Creek and need to understand the give and take with each type of circuit.

Quote:
As for the viewing spots, I thought that there were plenty of good spots to watch the action at with a decent view of a majority of the track. Anywhere near turn one is brilliant, what an awesome corner!
Absolutely. Many fans plonk down in the grandstand at 9am and dont move untill 5 and complain about the viewing The turn 12,13 complex provides great viewing from 8 all the way down the front straight and into 1. That distance is probably the whole length of OP!

Behind the pits on the outside of turn 4 is also a great place to watch and you can get close to cars over the hump