Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

View Poll Results: Which GT1/GTS car was the best of all time?
Maserati MC12 9 13.64%
Corvette C5R 7 10.61%
Corvette C6R 22 33.33%
Salenn S7R 1 1.52%
Viper GTS-R 13 19.70%
Ferrari 550 (include the 575 if you would like) 7 10.61%
Aston Martin DBR9 7 10.61%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31 Jul 2009, 17:35 (Ref:2512614)   #1
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Best GT1/GTS of all time!

With the end of GT1 upon us, I think we should consider which car was the best of all time in these classes. To make things a little more interesting I have split the Corvette C5 and C6.

This is what you think, it doesn't have to be the most succesful car (but that definately helps)!
Old 31 Jul 2009, 17:39 (Ref:2512617)   #2
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't see this in the Le Mans sub forum. Mods please delete or merge.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2512641)   #3
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I have to go with the Maserati. A great name in motorsport, which delivered results (at least in Europe). I also think the MC12 Competizione is the best looking of any of the GTS/GT1 machines. It also didn't hurt the Maserati that I got a bit tired of the Corvettes steamrolling everyone on this side of the pond. Oh, and I always enjoy the soundtrack of a great V12.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 18:31 (Ref:2512663)   #4
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype View Post
I didn't see this in the Le Mans sub forum. Mods please delete or merge.

I'm sorry? Why should any of those "best of" surveys be in the sub-forum as it pertains to all racing and not just Le Mans, which is what the sub-forum is supposed to be for?!

L.P.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 19:01 (Ref:2512679)   #5
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never watched the C5, Viper or the Maserati race, and in the day of the C5 and Viper I wasn't really into endurance racing yet so I can't give a judgement on those cars.

On the cars that raced since 2005, when it comes to the best, I think it has to go to the C6.R: great winning record, amazing battles with the Aston, equal in speed to the Astons and virtually indestructible. And a thoroughly badass sound!

My personal favourite is harder to choose: I loved the 550's looks and V12 sound, same with the Aston. I think both of those cars are prettier and better sounding (more interesting changes during the rev range) than the 'Vettes. The Saleen looks spectacular but never really did anything for me personally. Sadly the Maser never raced Le Mans, I think it would've won my heart quite easily

In the end I have to give it to the DBR9 for its Corvette-rivalling success and its gorgeous looks and sound. But still if I'd try to win Le Mans in a GT1 the 'Vette would be my car of choice
Old 31 Jul 2009, 19:10 (Ref:2512683)   #6
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have voted for the Viper GTS-R simply because of its incredible win sheet. Not to mention that it was raced from 1996 all the way up to 2008!!!! 2004 was the last year it raced in the ALMS and a full season of FIA GT. Its final years were spent mostly in The Italian gt until GT1 was dropped there, and FFSA GT until 2007. Its final race was FIA GT Monza last year in the Citation cup, though it was a dismal performance. That is an incredible lifespan for a race car model.

My personal favorite are the Vettes or Prodrive cars for sure.

The poll creator should add the Lister Storm to the choices, or even the Lambo just for the sound.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 20:19 (Ref:2512711)   #7
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maserati MC12.

4 championships in a row speak for themselves. Even after being neutered with a small rear wing and small restrictor. Also, they had an absolutely amazing reliability record.

Shame we never saw P&M vs Vitaphone.

I also think the Viper and the 550 deserve some accolades.
Old 31 Jul 2009, 20:31 (Ref:2512717)   #8
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
where are the Lamborghini Murcielago R-GT and the Lister Storm GTS (FIA Spec) ?!
Old 1 Aug 2009, 07:46 (Ref:2512971)   #9
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Corvette C6.R. It's won every big race out there, in the hands of many teams, both factory and privateer, and even with GT1 on the verge of its deathbed, we still had 7 of 8 cars racing this year!
Old 1 Aug 2009, 12:11 (Ref:2513151)   #10
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I voted with the C5R , as it probably has more wins under its belt than the C6R , I think ?
Old 1 Aug 2009, 13:47 (Ref:2513205)   #11
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I voted for the Viper because at Mosport in 2000 there was only one car I loved more than the Viper, and that was the Panoz. Yes I cheer for P&M now, and they earn extra points for their undying support of the world's greatest sportscar series, but the Viper was my first love.

Chris
Old 1 Aug 2009, 20:49 (Ref:2513444)   #12
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Vipers were great in their day but didn't have much competition (except the Roock Porsches). The only time the Oreca Viper and Corvette faced off was in Corvette's first year in 2000 and Oreca took 1-2. Because Oreca moved out of GTS in 2001, we never really got to see both cars like we saw Aston Martin and Corvette later on.
The 550 Maranello never seemed up to the challenge against the C5R and the C6.R.

Then we got Aston Martin and they gave the Vettes a bit of a hard time!

I go with the C6.R because of their history. Ya, Aston Martin beat them 2 out of 4 chances but the margin was never that big and they were always dominating elsewhere and, as mentioned by others, the privateer efforts of teams like Carsport and Luc Alphand really show how good this car was.
Old 1 Aug 2009, 21:12 (Ref:2513467)   #13
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
The 550 Maranello never seemed up to the challenge against the C5R and the C6.R.
I agree with most of your post, but want to dispute this claim about the Ferrari just a little. The 550 was a beautiful car with that wonderful V12 Ferrari sound. The years Prodrive ran the car they gave Corvette everything they could handle. They beat Corvette once at Le Mans and lost by one point in ALMS in 2003 I believe. I believe Prodrive dropped the project cause they were interested in developing the DBR9. Otherwise the Ferrari might have done even better at Le Mans and in ALMS.

DK
Old 1 Aug 2009, 21:56 (Ref:2513494)   #14
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the best car designed for the class was the C6.R. the car i liked the most would probably be either the saleen or the prodrive 550. i never liked the maserati, i just thought it was too ugly, and had no business being allowed (if ferrari really wanted to run the enzo, they should have, rather than tried a lame end-run around the rules)...
Old 2 Aug 2009, 01:56 (Ref:2513650)   #15
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's a tough choice as there is not a loser in the bunch. I narrowed it to the Viper and C5-R and finally chose the vette by a coin flip.... meaning I flipped the coin until the vette won.
Old 2 Aug 2009, 01:57 (Ref:2513652)   #16
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi View Post
the best car designed for the class was the C6.R. the car i liked the most would probably be either the saleen or the prodrive 550. i never liked the maserati, i just thought it was too ugly, and had no business being allowed (if ferrari really wanted to run the enzo, they should have, rather than tried a lame end-run around the rules)...
You've got that backwards, the rules were changed on them.
Old 2 Aug 2009, 02:19 (Ref:2513658)   #17
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
And Ferrari as a factory didn't want to run the Enzo. They haven't had a factory sportscar effort since 1973 with the 312PB.
Old 2 Aug 2009, 03:05 (Ref:2513666)   #18
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
You've got that backwards, the rules were changed on them.
yes, because the ACO correctly realized that it was an end-run around the GT1 concept. the race car debuted before the street car, and it was a clear attempt to get away from the production car roots. and as i said, it was a ferrari enzo with a new name and an ugly body.

as i said, it should have never been allowed in the first place, if ferrari really wanted to run an enzo (they clearly thought the basic package was competitive), they should have...
Old 2 Aug 2009, 03:59 (Ref:2513671)   #19
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi View Post
yes, because the ACO correctly realized that it was an end-run around the GT1 concept. the race car debuted before the street car, and it was a clear attempt to get away from the production car roots. and as i said, it was a ferrari enzo with a new name and an ugly body.

as i said, it should have never been allowed in the first place, if ferrari really wanted to run an enzo (they clearly thought the basic package was competitive), they should have...
Right, they made a production version in order to compete in racing... not exactly unprecedented. Ferrari obviously wanted to run a Maserati, not a Ferrari so I don't understand that point. In the end, the MC12 has much, much more in common with it's street variant than any other competitor (maybe with the exception of the S7R).
Old 2 Aug 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2513750)   #20
XJR14/WSC95
Racer

XJR14/WSC95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I’ve heard that the roof of the C6R is one of the only parts that the production car and race car have in common. But I would imagine that to be true of all the top runners in this class. The car that really got this class going was the Oreca Viper, great looking (especially in 1999 red white and blue livery) and sounding car that had a near flawless record. But my favourite car is the Prodrive Ferrari 550 Maranello, this car looked lick sex on racing wheels. It’s amazing how well this car was built and run on a privately funded budget.
Old 2 Aug 2009, 21:49 (Ref:2514216)   #21
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Viper. No question. Longevity, Rampant success, and incredible looks... long live the king...

pit
Old 2 Aug 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2514220)   #22
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper View Post
The Viper. No question. Longevity, Rampant success, and incredible looks... long live the king...

pit
Surprise, surprise
Old 2 Aug 2009, 22:05 (Ref:2514228)   #23
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJR14/WSC95 View Post
I’ve heard that the roof of the C6R is one of the only parts that the production car and race car have in common. But I would imagine that to be true of all the top runners in this class. The car that really got this class going was the Oreca Viper, great looking (especially in 1999 red white and blue livery) and sounding car that had a near flawless record. But my favourite car is the Prodrive Ferrari 550 Maranello, this car looked lick sex on racing wheels. It’s amazing how well this car was built and run on a privately funded budget.
Wrong, it is the frame and suspension bits.

Is any of the body not race special material?
Old 3 Aug 2009, 02:47 (Ref:2514322)   #24
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I voted for the Ferrari 550 because it has been my favourite ever since it started racing. What a private team achieved with that car without the backing or support from Ferrari is highly commendable. And what Ferrari did (or rather did not) do with the 575 shows how well Prodrive adapted the 550 to GTS/GT1. And it won so many races. I remember seeing the first pics of the completed car, red with black wheels, it just grabbed me and I've loved it ever since, I just wish development had never stopped........

With that in mind the gorgeous DBR9 and angry beast that is the C5R Corvette come a close second and third. And the Lambo, it may have only won two races at international level but the noise!!
Old 3 Aug 2009, 14:39 (Ref:2514632)   #25
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Ah. That wailing Lamborghini running up Raidillon and off through the trees at Spa.

I shall miss that noise.

Still voted DBR9 though.