Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Aug 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2515674)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bernie wants two major races to alternate

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/n..._09080404.html (warning : German language source)

So, Canada in (but ignoring the lack of a race in the US, one of the world's largest car markets and the world's largest country that gives a toss about motorsport) but he wants the German Grand Prix and the Belgian Grand Prix to alternate. That's one of Formula One's greatest circuits only being visited every other year, that's one of the most motorsport mad countries only being visited every year and two extremely prestigious sporting events being removed in alternate years.

Presumably that's to go to races in countries that don't care about Formula One or are in the middle of nowhere at dull circuits, then.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 21:16 (Ref:2515737)   #2
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The logical way would be for two of the less populated races to share, then there may be able to get larger attendancies
Old 4 Aug 2009, 21:32 (Ref:2515744)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am not against a bit of variety each year. Although personally I'd like some to be core (the ones I want!).
However this has been tried in rallying a couple of times and didn't work too well.
One good thing is that if there are more circuits wanting GP than slots in the calendar is that it gives all a chance and gets it to many different markets.
One problem is that to maintain facilities up to the required standard needs more return than just every couple of years.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2515759)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is a total insult to German motorsport, not to mention to Spa and all the fans who adore it. Not so long ago Germany had 2 races, both getting higher crowds than any of the remote Tilkerings - the Schumacher effect helped, but maybe Vettel is about to be just as big?
Old 4 Aug 2009, 22:20 (Ref:2515772)   #5
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's the answer to all F1's problems, take away Spa! What a genius! No USA, Canada, Hockenheim or Silverstone. Now Spa and Nurburgring are being turned into a time share. Next to go Monaco and the wheels off the cars.

Bernie has to go. Not from FOM, I mean give him a canteen, some rations and a swiss army knife and drop him off in the middle of the jungle or a desert. If you're wondering if I can possibly be serious... I'm not sure myself.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2515793)   #6
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughGJohnson View Post
......Bernie has to go...... give him a canteen, some rations and a swiss army knife and drop him off in the middle of the jungle.......
>>why so generous ?
Old 4 Aug 2009, 23:06 (Ref:2515796)   #7
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
give him a canteen, but have it lined with laxitives!
Old 4 Aug 2009, 23:07 (Ref:2515797)   #8
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I am not against a bit of variety each year. Although personally I'd like some to be core (the ones I want!).
However this has been tried in rallying a couple of times and didn't work too well.
One good thing is that if there are more circuits wanting GP than slots in the calendar is that it gives all a chance and gets it to many different markets.
One problem is that to maintain facilities up to the required standard needs more return than just every couple of years.
The big, BIG difference between this and rallying is that Superleague or A1GP isn't going to "snap up" the Belgian GP (or rather, the event at Spa) like the IRC did with the Monte Carlo rally. If CART had stayed united and kept growing, who knows, but nothing now.

That said, it's a horrible idea. Every championship needs its marquee events. And it needs to go to tracks because they add something to the championship - Spa adds a lot, hence it is in. Right now the only (and I mean only) reason for staging an F1 race at a particular location seems to be money - Monaco excepted. I understand why (so CVC and Bernie can make even more money), but that needs to not be the case any longer.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 23:09 (Ref:2515798)   #9
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I fear that alternating races is a bad idea. After one year absence (combined with terrible promotion, and a suffering economy) the Honda Indy Toronto (nee Molson Indy, Molson Grand Prix of Toronto, Stealback Grand Prix of Toronto) probably saw 1/3 of the spectators on race day.

Chris
Old 5 Aug 2009, 00:33 (Ref:2515825)   #10
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps someone could suggest to Bernie that he alternates his responsibilities to every other year?
Old 5 Aug 2009, 00:56 (Ref:2515828)   #11
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
In defense of US, if you look at participation and spectator counts in Nascar, the open wheel oval series, the sports car events like Sebring, Petit and Laguna, drag racing, and all the local short track ovals for stocks, midgets and sprints, we are doing more than OK...................the lack of US GP however is embarrassing!

The sports big traditional events have been built around stable venues and stable dates. My mid-west family used to travel to Indy every year in the 50's and early 60's. They handed that tradition down generations. LeMans, Monza, Silverstone, Nurburgring, Spa are all the same.

But, this isn't about tradition or spectators, sadly. It isn't even about sport anymore.

Nascar seems to be going backwards somewhat having left behind a lot of their core markets and fans for new markets, that in the end turn out to be fickle. The good old days in Nascar had most of the calendar less than a day's drive from their fan base, who were able to go to several races a year. Those people were ardent fans!

It is all about money, and if Fiji works it out they could have a GP too, but I guess they don't have the GDP to tap into.

Who knows, an Antartica GP could play on TV.

robert the curumudgeon.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 01:08 (Ref:2515836)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whatever he likes, we don't.

And vice-versa.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 05:13 (Ref:2515878)   #13
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughGJohnson View Post
Bernie has to go. Not from FOM, I mean give him a canteen, some rations and a swiss army knife and drop him off in the middle of the jungle or a desert. If you're wondering if I can possibly be serious... I'm not sure myself.
I think it should just be the "Regimental Webley" and one round.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 13:29 (Ref:2516772)   #14
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This suggestion of Bernie only makes sense when considering that he is not willing to lower his tremenduously high starting fee that the circuit promoters have to cough up.
Nürburgring is not willing to be on the calendar again annually, but only every 2 years - and Hockenheim is about to pull out. So it is only logical that Bernie is looking for a track to share half a spot on the calendar with Nürburgring. His suggestion is Spa.

But how about a return of the French GP instead?

Alternating the Bahrain GP and Abu Dhabi GP won't happen because it is countries like that which pay more for a GP. That doesn't necessarily sell cars, but it generates a profit for the commercial rights holder.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 13:51 (Ref:2516780)   #15
kartracer41
Racer

United States
Michigan, USA
kartracer41 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Alternating the Bahrain GP and Abu Dhabi GP won't happen because it is countries like that which pay more for a GP. That doesn't necessarily sell cars, but it generates a profit for the commercial rights holder.
But how long are those places going to last at that rate? Are they filling the stands? Which track was it that the drivers were complaining about being empty?
Old 6 Aug 2009, 15:24 (Ref:2516812)   #16
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie cares more about his pockets being full than the stands being full. If the Sheiks are willing to pay for a GP, Bernies willing to pocket that cash
Old 8 Aug 2009, 15:24 (Ref:2517859)   #17
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine View Post
Bernie cares more about his pockets being full than the stands being full. If the Sheiks are willing to pay for a GP, Bernies willing to pocket that cash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
The big, BIG difference between this and rallying is that Superleague or A1GP isn't going to "snap up" the Belgian GP (or rather, the event at Spa) like the IRC did with the Monte Carlo rally. If CART had stayed united and kept growing, who knows, but nothing now.

That said, it's a horrible idea. Every championship needs its marquee events. And it needs to go to tracks because they add something to the championship - Spa adds a lot, hence it is in. Right now the only (and I mean only) reason for staging an F1 race at a particular location seems to be money - Monaco excepted. I understand why (so CVC and Bernie can make even more money), but that needs to not be the case any longer.
I imagine Spa makes him more money than he realises. It's good for the sport, which is good for his bank account. It would be short sighted to cut it back or eliminate it the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
>>why so generous ?
All excellent points. In fact, I have a better idea. Drop him off in the wilderness with nothing but his money. Thousands of years from now the story of "Bernie the Troll" will be told to children warning them about the fallacy of greed.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 00:08 (Ref:2519246)   #18
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer41 View Post
But how long are those places going to last at that rate? Are they filling the stands? Which track was it that the drivers were complaining about being empty?
I think I heard somewhere along the line that the USGP at Indy had more people passing through the gate then any of the others.

And there is no race there...............

Something is wrong and remains wrong.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 00:12 (Ref:2519247)   #19
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine View Post
Here's the thing, and I don't seem to be a Sheik so maybe I don't have the right mindset. If you are coming up with money wouldn't you want something to show for it? Does an International race with largely empty spectator areas really show off how well you have spent your money? To me it would seem to lack bragging rights.

But maybe it is all in how you package it. Camera angle just the right way won't show it.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 15:35 (Ref:2519613)   #20
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would it not just be easier, more prfoitable (for all including the teams if they get their cut) and better for spectators just to extend it to 20 races per season. Do away with all these gaps and just have a race every other weekend?

There should be very little extra cost for the teams to add a couple of extra races in.