Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 Sep 2009, 20:25 (Ref:2538757)   #1
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fernandez Racing to close doors Oct. 30

Robin Miller and SpeedTV.com appear to have the scoop that Fernandez Racing will be closing down at the end of the ALMS season.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ready-to-fold/

They wanted to go back to IndyCar racing but they don't even have the funds to continue in ALMS, let alone expand. Lowe's apparently pulled the plug because they wanted Adrian himself driving in IndyCar, something he did not want to do.

There's still hope that they can find a sponsor by the end of October through some other driver and continue the team for him, but it seems Adrian and Luis will not be continuing with Fernandez Racing.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 20:43 (Ref:2538764)   #2
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In this weeks Autosport there is an advert for the two Acura P2 cars, advertised as 'A proven winner in the ALMS'

Its a shame about Fernandez, I just hope they find a new sponsor or Adrian and Luiz can land on their feet somewhere, both are experienced drivers and proven winners. Maybe they can end up with the buyers of the P2 Acuras for sale...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 11 Sep 2009, 20:51 (Ref:2538769)   #3
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Now , thats a big shame .

There's 2 good reliable cars for someone to pick up . Wonder what kind of support might come along with them ?

With Fernandez going and Acura talking about quiting their LMP1 project . Looks even grimmer for ALMS in 2010 ?
Old 11 Sep 2009, 20:54 (Ref:2538770)   #4
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
NO BUENO!

i started to wonder about Lowe's after they pulled the sponsership on Charlotte MS. they are hurting like most other building suppliers. can't blame AF for not wanting to drive an Indy car again.

maybe if we all pitch in...
Old 11 Sep 2009, 20:57 (Ref:2538772)   #5
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
In this weeks Autosport there is an advert for the two Acura P2 cars, advertised as 'A proven winner in the ALMS'

Its a shame about Fernandez, I just hope they find a new sponsor or Adrian and Luiz can land on their feet somewhere, both are experienced drivers and proven winners. Maybe they can end up with the buyers of the P2 Acuras for sale...
Well depending on which way the apple falls, maybe Duncan will buy them and do an engine lease from Acura, if Acura's P-1 program goes away.

L.P.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 21:00 (Ref:2538774)   #6
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Have to wonder where Tom Anderson will go.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 21:05 (Ref:2538775)   #7
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
NO BUENO!

i started to wonder about Lowe's after they pulled the sponsership on Charlotte MS. they are hurting like most other building suppliers. can't blame AF for not wanting to drive an Indy car again.

maybe if we all pitch in...

Maybe they can get Slim's, América Móvil, to come on board.

L.P.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2538781)   #8
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, this is a bad piece of news. I am glad the team has won the p2 championship this year, I guess if you have to stop racing it's better to leave on a high note.

I wonder if Luis and Adrian would drive for another team given the opportunity?
Old 11 Sep 2009, 21:27 (Ref:2538784)   #9
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The article mentions Adrian was in Europe for 2 weeks, I wonder if he was doing some ride hunting as well as sponsorship hunting?
Old 11 Sep 2009, 21:48 (Ref:2538797)   #10
pdxracefan
Racer

United States
Oregon
pdxracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh man, that is too bad. AF has dropped a couple of hints recently hasn't he? I've always liked him and his entire team, a real class act. I also agree that their going out on a high note is a great tribute to them. They'll be missed.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 23:59 (Ref:2538852)   #11
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a doubly bitter, yet bitter sweet ending. Of all the bad luck the team has experienced as an ALMS team their one championship comes when the teams they really wanted to show up were out of the championship (namely Penske). I have felt since Sebring that Luis and Adrian deserved the championship considering how unlucky they've been as a program, and as I've interpreted it, the lack of love they've received from Acura. I was hoping a championship would help the team turn the corner and push forward onto bigger avenues. I suppose this is the exact opposite of how I figured the team would go.

Chris
Old 13 Sep 2009, 17:20 (Ref:2539827)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Are the cars being sold as kerbside or rolling please ?
Old 14 Sep 2009, 02:16 (Ref:2540137)   #13
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Real shame about this. He is legendary among the Latino population, so this will bum them out.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 02:57 (Ref:2540155)   #14
The Badger
Veteran

Better get some Latino sponsorship then .
Old 14 Sep 2009, 03:19 (Ref:2540158)   #15
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What happened to Tecate... Thought Mexican sponsorship was easy to find for a Mexican driver...
Old 14 Sep 2009, 14:16 (Ref:2540478)   #16
The Badger
Veteran

I heard that they had some kind of falling out . Thats as far as I know .

The colors would look smart though .