Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Sep 2009, 19:01 (Ref:2549983)   #1
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RML/CHEVY 2010

Heard today that Alan Menu may be joining the team & that talks had been held with Fabrizo Giovanardi(already a GM driver)
Old 28 Sep 2009, 19:21 (Ref:2549995)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Assume you mean stay with the team in WTCC?

Autosport say Yvan Muller is in with a shout too as there is uncertainty over SEAT next year.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2550003)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Is this BTCC, WTCC or a combination of both?

Menu is already with Chevrolet so not sure what you mean when you say he "may be joining the team". Do you mean he might be in the third RML car at Brands?

The Chevrolet/Giovanardi story was in Autosport a few weeks ago. Both sides have openly admitted that there have been preliminary talks, although nothing more than that. When the story was reported it was suggested that Gio may be a replacement for Menu.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 08:55 (Ref:2550331)   #4
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Chevy is able to sign Muller or Giovanardi for next year, they will even more become a titlecandidate. Will this mean the end at Chevy for Larini?
Old 29 Sep 2009, 18:00 (Ref:2550702)   #5
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think with a big name signing like Yvan or Fab, Chevrolet would be inclined to field more than three cars.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 17:46 (Ref:2551409)   #6
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im not so sure on more than three cars for Chevy but this may depend on Seat/ BMW/Lada particiaption, I would think Larini is out and Menu on the edge, both being inconsistant, Giovanardi in with Muller a possible but don't rule out Plato or Jackson or Thompson if he has not signed for 2010.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 21:14 (Ref:2551509)   #7
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would Plato want to do WTCC though? Sounds like a lot of travelling when he does TV work, has a family et al et al. Thommo I could see in the WTCC, but I think Mat Jackson is probably somewhat under the radar there. Then again if the WTCC talent scouts were looking hard at the BTCC I feel sure Colin Turkington would be in a factory BMW.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 06:35 (Ref:2551681)   #8
Icebaby
Veteran

I don't doubt Turkington will be in a BMW program next year either BTCC or WTCC, Plato will go where the money is.
Old 4 Oct 2009, 22:00 (Ref:2554160)   #9
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest I think that the BTCC is overlooked by the WTCC, however with the top 5 qualifying times at Brands this weekend being faster than Menu's qualifying time at the WTCC event, you never know.

But the general feeling is that BTCC drivers are in the BTCC because thats where they want to be, Plato has always said he wants to continue racing in the BTCC, Turkington will want to retain his title, and Jackson is still hungry for title success. Plus the WTCC seems a bit puny in comparison to the frantic BTCC races.
Old 5 Oct 2009, 01:37 (Ref:2554223)   #10
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Plato doesn't want to do WTCC. He's said on numerous occasions that he wouldn't be able to fit the travelling in with his TV work.
Old 5 Oct 2009, 05:12 (Ref:2554256)   #11
brucelok2003
Racer

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
brucelok2003 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about an one-off race in Brands Hatch? Can he make it?
Old 5 Oct 2009, 11:37 (Ref:2554451)   #12
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan View Post
Plato doesn't want to do WTCC. He's said on numerous occasions that he wouldn't be able to fit the travelling in with his TV work.
And that his personal sponsors require him to compete in the UK.
Old 5 Oct 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2554489)   #13
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
And that his personal sponsors require him to compete in the UK.
Who are his personal sponsors?

I have noticed the Sun, who would be happy to support a WTCC driver I would suggest?
Old 5 Oct 2009, 12:48 (Ref:2554515)   #14
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd imagine Silverline, Match the Deal, Tesco 99 Octane are Platos personal sponsors. None of them will get major UK coverage in the WTCC.
Old 5 Oct 2009, 16:06 (Ref:2554622)   #15
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unless they were to somehow wangle WTCC off Eurosport and on to ITV4 or something (then again perhaps the contract with the BTCC stops them airing WTCC live?).
Old 5 Oct 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2554633)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
And stump up more money! How much more does the WTCC cost to compete in with the extra travelling & accomodation expenses?
Old 5 Oct 2009, 21:14 (Ref:2554777)   #17
Ed Peters
Racer

Ed Peters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only hope that if RML return to the BTCC next year they use a legal engine and give the teams that play by the rules a chance!
Old 5 Oct 2009, 21:17 (Ref:2554779)   #18
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Ed, practically all the cars have some sort of technical waiver (before we start getting on to the old rules cars!) - at least initially weren't the 888 Vectras running the BTC-T gearbox? Or have I had a massive brainfart, there certainly was something about their gearboxes though.
Old 5 Oct 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2554782)   #19
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Peters View Post
I only hope that if RML return to the BTCC next year they use a legal engine and give the teams that play by the rules a chance!
Mountune have done a stonking job on that Focus engine then!
Old 5 Oct 2009, 21:26 (Ref:2554787)   #20
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd much rather have the BTCC live rather than the WTCC anyday.
Old 5 Oct 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2554796)   #21
Ed Peters
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Ed, practically all the cars have some sort of technical waiver (before we start getting on to the old rules cars!) - at least initially weren't the 888 Vectras running the BTC-T gearbox? Or have I had a massive brainfart, there certainly was something about their gearboxes though.
All due respect, I don't think the advantage 888 gained by using the old gearbox is on the same lines as the work that has been done on the chevrolets engine that has made it the fastest car in a straight line. From, lets face it, an engine that is twenty years old.
Old 6 Oct 2009, 06:53 (Ref:2554935)   #22
Icebaby
Veteran

Can someone shed any light on Bob Kettlebourgh the clark of the course, who actually employs him and does he attend all the races in the year?
Old 6 Oct 2009, 08:19 (Ref:2554975)   #23
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob Kettleborough is there at all meetings

I would suspect he is appointed to the meeting by BARC maybe with some influence by toca but im not sure on that.
Old 6 Oct 2009, 08:24 (Ref:2554980)   #24
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't the Vuxhalls and the Lacetti's more or less have the same engine?
Old 6 Oct 2009, 21:31 (Ref:2555476)   #25
Ed Peters
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
Don't the Vuxhalls and the Lacetti's more or less have the same engine?
NO..