Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 7 Oct 2009, 05:16 (Ref:2555614)   #1
notguilty
Racer

notguilty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Executive touring cars

Does anyone see a need or want to see these new super sedans turned into racers? I mean the Porsche Panamerica, Aston Martin Rapide, Mercedes CLS, Mazza Quadraportte and isnt lambo working on a sedan?. I think Bugatti and Bentley are going to using the the Panamerica as a base for new models. There a great list of names and some crazy powerplants W16, V12, supercharged V8's. OR should they be run as endurance specials? Just wondering.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 17:43 (Ref:2556056)   #2
THIM
Racer

Poland
THIM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they're too expencive to be run even as SP-like racers, unless at least 4-5 manufacturers would enter their full factory teams. But I doubt (I wish I was wrong)
Old 7 Oct 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2556071)   #3
d.rocky
Racer

England
Lola country.
d.rocky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well i reckon it would be a bit pointless?
they just seem a bit big to be racers IMO. dont get me wrong if in a parrallel it happened i probably would watch!
Old 7 Oct 2009, 18:48 (Ref:2556092)   #4
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quattroporte participate in Superstars series (Swiss team, Andrea Chiesa)
CLS, AFAIK, is planned for racing there, but have not raced yet.
Panamera - is not sedan, but I think, it can be permitted by ORAL Engineering, due to its V8 and 4 seat. Estoque - too big for racing.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 19:13 (Ref:2556110)   #5
mz2k
Racer

United States
mz2k has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Does the Volvo S60 count? It currently competes in Speed GT.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2556256)   #6
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by notguilty View Post
Porsche Panamerica
I take it you mean the Panamera

I really can't see this happening, mainly due to the cost and the recession. The cars would look good, but part of the appeal of Touring cars for me at least is that the cars are just every day cars off the street turned in to racing cars. Would your class be GT?
Old 8 Oct 2009, 16:52 (Ref:2556750)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I prefer to see these manufacturers in GT or sports car racing.
Old 8 Oct 2009, 17:25 (Ref:2556790)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think costs is a good reason for these, and if they were to race in a near-production level there would need to be balancing like Superstars where the Quattroporte is already entered. Bentleys aren't built for racing, really. I'd rather see these marques race in GT racing.

I think the best way to go for touring car technical regulations would be one using the performance versions of two litre vehicles, such as the Focus RS et al - more appeal to "the common man", should be OK for costs (if the FIA were to get their brains in to gear many series could run one set of rules for 2 litre turbos with different boost pressures et al) and wouldn't be a radical departure from recent years.