Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14 Nov 2009, 11:54 (Ref:2581823)   #1
SJA
Racer

Australia
SJA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"The Falling Sky" 2/3 Holden, 1/3 Ford??

As suggested by GTR in the Silly Season thread, it looks like the time has come to discuss the manufacturer split in V8 land.

I personally don't see the world in Red or Blue, I believe a lot of Gen Y V8 fans are much the same, or maybe I speak for myself, I don't know.

I love motorsport because I see it as a truly team sport. The entry that has had the business know-how to get together a budget, the engineering know-how to put together a race winning package (or once again, has had the business prowess to make the right alliences), the right crew to prep and run the car, the pit stops, the judgment calls in terms of stratigy, weather, fuel etc. Back to engineering and set up - a car that can look after it's tyres and conserve fuel. The chemistry and leadership within a team to "make it all work (as one)". Finally, the organic componant that fills the space between the chair and the steering wheel.

I even go as far to say we put way too much weight on the drivers championship in modern V8 supercar racing. It has just as much to do with every other componant (mechanical, electical and organic) that got that entry to that result at the end of the day.

Every winner, unlike in other sports, is a trully deserving winner in motorsport. They got it right on the day where everyone else got it wrong.

I digress. Modern V8 Supercars - what is the difference between a modern Falcon and modern Commodore V8 Supercar? As Larko went through on the Bathurst telecast - body panelling (styling) and the engine...

I think some of you old timers need to let the whole Holden Vs Ford thing go. We are lucky enough to have one of the best racing catagories in the world here. The entertainment will not suffer if there is more of one make that the other - they are the same freaking car anyway.

What are you Ford fans really upset about? I have a theory that may ruffle a few feathers... I think you are actually upset about Ford's handling of it's motorsport budget, policy and FPR's inability to deliver and their poor driver choices (S Richards, Dumbrell).

Ford fans, don't target your anger at Holden for capatilising where Ford failed, where Ford have mis-handled, bungled, blame Ford.

Even better, just let it go. Insted I offer this suggestion. Start looking beyond manufactuers - The cars you see going round the circuit are not Fords or Holdens anyway. So if you only see the world in red or blue, I think your time could be better spent restoring an old GT Falcon or Monaro if that's your thing, that would be closer to your passion.

If you ever feel like coming back and watching some great racing, I suggest you start looking at each entry in detail - who owns the REC, who owns the hardware, who owns the team, who runs the team, who there on the engineering side of things, right down to the driver. If there is an entry that has everything you like mixed into it and you can relate to the personnel morally and relate to the great personalities involved, they are the entries you should support, no matter what the make!

For all the above reasons I support in 2009
#22, #24, #9, #7, #15, #11, #16, #8, #12, #33, #34, #39, #67, #55, #111 & #77 (R.I.P)

There are different reasons for all of them. You will notice some are Holden, some are Ford. You might notice that only one entry from some teams I actually support. Let me tell you I might have been born into a Holden family, but I'm not going to follow both HRT cars just because dad says I should, not if I think one of the drivers is a complete ******. The reality is I dont support Walkinshaw at all, but the drivers in the cars of #22 and #24 is what makes me lend my support, with out them I couldn't car less about HRT/Walkinshaw.

If it came down to a final drag between Van Giz and Tander, I'd be out of my chair screaming for Van Giz!

Anyway, Im rambling - If you made it this far, thankyou for reading. I'm not trying to inflict my views on you - I'm just trying to provoke some thought, some deep thought - beyond blue, beyond red.

Thank you