Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Nov 2009, 02:27 (Ref:2583925)   #1
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Official Le Mans 2009 Yearbook

It apparently just recently came out and I was wondering if anyone thought it was worth the money. Specifically I am curious to see what the quality of the photography is. Has anyone bought this series in the past and what are your thoughts?
Old 18 Nov 2009, 02:35 (Ref:2583929)   #2
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
I need to order that!

btw - The ALMS Yearbook will also be coming out soon. Includes content from me (Car side views) and other Ten-Tenths members including Marshall Pruett.

At the printers, you can pre-order for Christmas from the usual sources...
Old 18 Nov 2009, 06:58 (Ref:2583968)   #3
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlongman View Post
It apparently just recently came out and I was wondering if anyone thought it was worth the money. Specifically I am curious to see what the quality of the photography is. Has anyone bought this series in the past and what are your thoughts?
I buy it every year. The translation is full of howlers, but the photography is good and it's great for evoking that special LM atmosphere. The facts and figures at the back are quite comprehensive and there's usually a retrospective section.

In addition, keep it for 50 years then it'll be worth a fortune - but you won't want to sell it!
Old 21 Nov 2009, 10:34 (Ref:2586316)   #4
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I saw the proofs at Zolder FIA GT meeting, photos up to usual standard, but I would say that wouldn't I?

If you can afford it then buy it............I have all but 3 editions and as a reference tool it is second to none.
Old 21 Nov 2009, 11:59 (Ref:2586382)   #5
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney View Post
I saw the proofs at Zolder FIA GT meeting, photos up to usual standard, but I would say that wouldn't I?

If you can afford it then buy it............I have all but 3 editions and as a reference tool it is second to none.
I agree!
Old 21 Nov 2009, 15:47 (Ref:2586475)   #6
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Ordered mine from the ACO on Thursday, parcel arrived the following day!

The book looks great ..................................!
Old 2 Dec 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2593033)   #7
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Some of your images in it then John? I have my car Illustrations in the ALMS one
Old 3 Dec 2009, 08:06 (Ref:2593241)   #8
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
Some of your images in it then John? I have my car Illustrations in the ALMS one
Yes, with the ACO changing the commercial terms with the publisher, all the budgets have been cut but I think I have around 20 shots dotted around the book. I have contributed since 2002. I also have material in the LMS and FIA GT annuals that are in progress right now.
Old 17 Jan 2010, 20:19 (Ref:2614796)   #9
Yakuncha
Racer

Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Yakuncha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why are these books so expensive? Limited print run?
Old 17 Jan 2010, 21:24 (Ref:2614823)   #10
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Ive got mine .....brilliant again .

Ive got about 20 of them now .
Old 17 Jan 2010, 22:58 (Ref:2614862)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuncha View Post

€49 isn't it? Not so expensive these days for a quality book with high class photography and illustrations.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 09:35 (Ref:2614996)   #12
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuncha View Post
All books of this kind have a limited print run.

The terms that the ACO impose on the publisher make any kind of profit difficult to achieve to say the least. Several alternative publishers looked at taking on the book recently and all walked away from a deal that made no sense commercially.

It is the same with the photography in the book which for the most part veers towards dull. The publisher is forced to use ACO supplied photos wherever possible. I know what other imagery is available, the book could be stunning.

Nevertheless for a serious aficionado it is a must buy.
Old 19 Jan 2010, 11:05 (Ref:2615622)   #13
Le Vieux
Veteran

The Badger's comment made me go and do a quick count - I'm up to 22 and wouldn't part with any of them.

Santa brought me the latest edition and, yes, some photographs leave something to be desired, but equally, some are stunning. The proof-reading of the English translation is appalling, but it's always amusing to go through the book spotting the howlers.

Go, buy!
Old 27 Jan 2010, 22:09 (Ref:2620636)   #14
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My copy dropped on through the letter box this morning, only had a quick flick through but it looks up the normal standard.

As DSC said just before christmas when they reviewed the book - Is the book worth the 49 Euro cover price? As a collector the answer has to be yes – after all, history tells us that gaps in this collection can be remarkably expensive to fill! - so yes go buy it you might reget if you don't !!!
Old 28 Jan 2010, 07:21 (Ref:2620799)   #15
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

It is an essential book to have if you care about the 24 Hours.

Just filled in two gaps in the collection while at Retromobile, now only 82 & 83 to go.

If you want to see how good the book could be, in terms of layout, design and photos have a look at the 2009 LMS Annual...........stunning. Olivier Loisy and Apollo Publishing have done a fantastic job.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 18:56 (Ref:2621889)   #16
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If you want to see how good the book could be, in terms of layout, design and photos have a look at the 2009 LMS Annual...........stunning. Olivier Loisy and Apollo Publishing have done a fantastic job.
I don't like the paper
Old 21 Oct 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2777912)   #17
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anyone know when the 2010 race yearbook will be out? Should be sometime soon should it not?
Old 22 Oct 2010, 20:24 (Ref:2778529)   #18
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I received a subscription to send back to Boutique Auto Moto before the 10th of November. The book should be published in December.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 21:00 (Ref:2789350)   #19
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Isn't it normally published in October or November?

Hope the move to December means lesser mistakes.
Old 13 Nov 2010, 08:27 (Ref:2789528)   #20
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post

No, it was December last year.
Old 13 Nov 2010, 08:28 (Ref:2789530)   #21
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post

Sure. And it's not urgent at all.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2791276)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
About as urgent it seems as the ACO members results and photo pack........
Old 22 Nov 2010, 14:21 (Ref:2794254)   #23
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Someone please tell me this isn't the real 2010 cover!
http://www.grandprixlegends.com/book...view-2010.html
Old 22 Nov 2010, 14:44 (Ref:2794264)   #24
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Someone please tell me this isn't the real 2010 cover!
http://www.grandprixlegends.com/book...view-2010.html
It would make my day if it were................
Old 22 Nov 2010, 14:51 (Ref:2794268)   #25
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Phew, we're in luck!!!!!

http://www.lemans-store.com/livres-e...ours-2010.html