Old 26 Nov 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2589911)   #1
John Newman
Subscriber
Racer

England
Near, (but not quite) Towcester
John Newman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Blue Book

My new Blue Book has arrived. Whoopie! For some unknown reason the references to flag signals have been changed from section G to section Q.
Why?
When I get the opportunity, or I am bored, I shall change the references on http://www.flag-marshal.org.uk In the meanwhile rest assured that there are no (immediately) apparent changes to the regs!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 26 Nov 2009, 21:53 (Ref:2589913)   #2
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems that they have moved everything around in the blue book, guess it keeps everyone on there toes. For anyone who is interested the blue book can be viewed online at the MSA website so you can print any bits that are interested in
Old 27 Nov 2009, 10:05 (Ref:2590019)   #3
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The whole idea of moving everything around the Blue Book every couple of years is to confuse the Clerks & Stewards - boy does it work!
Old 27 Nov 2009, 12:44 (Ref:2590115)   #4
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone else notice the serious misprint in the Safety Car regs -- Appendix 2, para:1.8? Slapped wrist to the proof-reader.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 13:40 (Ref:2590161)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The recent 'Marshal' indicated some changed of interpretation of the Blue Flag from advisory to instruction (if I read it correctly). Has the Blue Book changed, and if so, what affect will it have on the marshal's decision to use the blue if that may have an element of compulsion included?
Old 27 Nov 2009, 13:43 (Ref:2590162)   #6
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Degerlund View Post
Anyone else notice the serious misprint in the Safety Car regs -- Appendix 2, para:1.8? Slapped wrist to the proof-reader.
Do share....not all of us have one of these.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2590180)   #7
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
The recent 'Marshal' indicated some changed of interpretation of the Blue Flag from advisory to instruction (if I read it correctly). Has the Blue Book changed, and if so, what affect will it have on the marshal's decision to use the blue if that may have an element of compulsion included?

14.4. A car alone on the track may use the full width of the track. however, as soon as it is caught by a car which is about to lap it the driver must allow the faster driver past at the first possible opportunity. If the driver who has been caught does not seem to make full use of the rear-view mirrors, flag marshals will display waved blue flags to indicate that the faster driver wants to overtake. Any driver who appears to ignore the blue flags will be reported to the Clerk of Course.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 14:53 (Ref:2590207)   #8
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
1.8 "While the safety car is in operation, competing cars
may enter the pit lane, but may only rejoin the track [missing text] to
pass or are passing the pit exit. A car re-joining the
track must proceed at an appropriate speed until it
reaches the end of the line of cars behind the Safety
Car."
1.9. The Safety Car will remain in operation until at least
Old 27 Nov 2009, 19:23 (Ref:2590348)   #9
Aardvaark
Rookie

England
Timperley, Altrincham
Aardvaark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re blue flag rule, how will a flag marshal on a flag point remote from the box, without means of direct communication with the Clerk (normal clubbie situation), report the misdemeanour? Semaphore to the observer (sorry, post chief!) in the box! And what happens if the passing is permitted some way past, and out of sight, of both flag marshal and post chief. "Appears" is never a good word in a rule - too much room for opinion, plausible explanation and evasion. Reading the rule, it is unnecessary - either a driver ignores the blue flag or he/she doesn't - IMHO it's usually blindingly obvious when the blue flag has been ignored.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 20:31 (Ref:2590383)   #10
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvaark View Post
Re blue flag rule, how will a flag marshal on a flag point remote from the box, without means of direct communication with the Clerk (normal clubbie situation), report the misdemeanour? Semaphore to the observer (sorry, post chief!) in the box! And what happens if the passing is permitted some way past, and out of sight, of both flag marshal and post chief.
Make a note of it in your notepad, with the time on your watch, and report it to the post chief at the end of the session. You get a minimum of 5-10 minutes even with the shortest of breaks between sessions.

And if it's out of sight, then you can't report it, even if you suspect something. Only report what you see!!!!
Old 27 Nov 2009, 20:31 (Ref:2590384)   #11
John Newman
Subscriber
Racer

England
A haa, when I read the section about marshals, all references are about "observers", not "post chiefs"!
Personally I was not that bothered about the change of title, but I would have thought that the instigators wuuld have amneded their text.
Such is life in motorsport, the dim rule.
Old 27 Nov 2009, 20:36 (Ref:2590386)   #12
John Newman
Subscriber
Racer

England
Quote:
1.8 "While the safety car is in operation, competing cars
may enter the pit lane, but may only rejoin the track [missing text] to
pass or are passing the pit exit. A car re-joining the
track must proceed at an appropriate speed until it
reaches the end of the line of cars behind the Safety
Car."
1.9. The Safety Car will remain in operation until at least
So what dictator is responsible for this potentially huge cock up? Come a race day there will be all sorts of arguments and threatened law suits.
Own up in print Sir!
Old 28 Nov 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2590634)   #13
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
The blue book can be seen in full on the MSA website, the link below should take you to the index.
Blue book
Old 28 Nov 2009, 10:39 (Ref:2590664)   #14
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickkicker View Post
The blue book can be seen in full on the MSA website, the link below should take you to the index.
Blue book
see page 277, para: 1.8.
Old 28 Nov 2009, 10:41 (Ref:2590666)   #15
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Newman View Post
A haa, when I read the section about marshals, all references are about "observers", not "post chiefs"!
There are also references to "flag marshals"!
Old 29 Nov 2009, 10:57 (Ref:2591166)   #16
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
There are also references to "flag marshals"!
errr ... wouldn't that be a marshal with a flag? - just an idea
Old 29 Nov 2009, 11:13 (Ref:2591174)   #17
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
errr ... wouldn't that be a marshal with a flag? - just an idea
Shhh now, don't bring your common sense along to the whining and moaning thread...

Let's not start running away with the moaning eh boys?
Old 29 Nov 2009, 18:17 (Ref:2591304)   #18
TerryD
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
TerryD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't worn out the old blue book(2009) yet! It has been down the back of my overalls a few times though?????
Old 29 Nov 2009, 18:43 (Ref:2591319)   #19
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Shhh now, don't bring your common sense along to the whining and moaning thread...

...not a moan about "moaners". surely??
Old 29 Nov 2009, 18:46 (Ref:2591322)   #20
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
...not a moan about "moaners". surely??
Old 29 Nov 2009, 21:48 (Ref:2591407)   #21
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
. . . and let's not lose our sense of humour!
Old 29 Nov 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2591415)   #22
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
. . . and let's not lose our sense of humour!
Nope, I've still got mine here with me...
Old 1 Dec 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2592342)   #23
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK - on to another rule (1.15 of Appendix 2 - Safety Car)

----------------
1.15. Should it be necessary to stop a race during a Safety Car deployment the Safety Car, with all competing vehicles following, will pass through the red flag at the start/finish line, complete one further lap at reduced speed and then, once the Safety Car comes to a stop at a position indicated by the Safety Car observer (which will usually be either the grid or Parc Fermé), all competing cars must stop behind it unless otherwise directed.
----------------

Please tell me I am reading this wrong, in that, cars will complete a full lap under a Red Flag, instead of coming to a stop as soon as possible on the Grid or at Parc Ferme?
Old 1 Dec 2009, 16:59 (Ref:2592382)   #24
TerryD
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
TerryD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please tell me I am reading this wrong, in that, cars will complete a full lap under a Red Flag, instead of coming to a stop as soon as possible on the Grid or at Parc Ferme?[/QUOTE]

Sounds dangerous to me!
Old 1 Dec 2009, 17:07 (Ref:2592388)   #25
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
OK - on to another rule (1.15 of Appendix 2 - Safety Car)

----------------
1.15. Should it be necessary to stop a race during a Safety Car deployment the Safety Car, with all competing vehicles following, will pass through the red flag at the start/finish line, complete one further lap at reduced speed and then, once the Safety Car comes to a stop at a position indicated by the Safety Car observer (which will usually be either the grid or Parc Fermé), all competing cars must stop behind it unless otherwise directed.
----------------

Please tell me I am reading this wrong, in that, cars will complete a full lap under a Red Flag, instead of coming to a stop as soon as possible on the Grid or at Parc Ferme?
The important bit here is that it is a red AFTER safety car deployment. Field should already be "safe" behind the SC.