Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Jan 2010, 09:04 (Ref:2609906)   #1
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Bernie to buy Saab? (The company, not a 99!)

I heard this on the radio news headlines this morning:
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6980377.ece
Interesting to see it's a Joint Venture with the new owners of the Renault F1 team, Genii Capital which makes me think about wheels within wheels...
(Why is it that I always feel there's a hidden agenda with anything that Bernie does?)
Old 8 Jan 2010, 09:06 (Ref:2609908)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
SAAB to F1?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8447365.stm

Bernie may buy SAAB! So it is only natural... Only one thing left to say: FACT!

For interest here is the SAAB thread in road car: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120090
Old 8 Jan 2010, 09:10 (Ref:2609911)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Threads merged. The discussion on the car manufacturer is here: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120090

As for Bernies hidden agenda, it isn't hidden. He just thinks it may be a good investment and that will make him some money. Simples.
Old 8 Jan 2010, 10:22 (Ref:2609936)   #4
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The guy never ceases to amaze me, perhaps he will ask Flavio to run it for him?
Old 8 Jan 2010, 10:43 (Ref:2609942)   #5
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
The guy never ceases to amaze me, perhaps he will ask Flavio to run it for him?
Thanks old man, looks like we're on the same wavelength here...
Old 8 Jan 2010, 11:17 (Ref:2609955)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Flav will then hire Piquet Jnr to be a 'crash test dummy'.
Old 8 Jan 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2609992)   #7
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
badum...ching
Old 8 Jan 2010, 13:41 (Ref:2610007)   #8
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had heard Spyker was going to put together a bid for Saab, seems there first offer fell short of what GM expected. They have refreshed their bid so hopefully things keep rolling for Trollhattan

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/spy...k=MW_news_stmp
Old 8 Jan 2010, 18:03 (Ref:2610106)   #9
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
(Why is it that I always feel there's a hidden agenda with anything that Bernie does?)
Strange that. an upright honest pillar of society, if a little verticaly challenged,should have that aura of not being quite what he seems, particularly amongst those who have an interest in motor sport.
Old 8 Jan 2010, 20:25 (Ref:2610159)   #10
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope a buyer is found soon as GM have said they'd close SAAB if they didn't like any of the bidders (i.e. rivals).

Ahhh the old Saab 96 Monte Carlo

Is Bernie the right man?
Old 9 Jan 2010, 00:50 (Ref:2610280)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
In this case, the man with the money is the right man...
Old 9 Jan 2010, 12:29 (Ref:2610440)   #12
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope this goes through. Bernie Ecclestone says and does some funny stuff but he's got money and he knows how to do business - so hopefully he can make it an exciting and profitable company again.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 09:31 (Ref:2611483)   #13
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe this is a first sign that Bernie is moving his interests out of the sport?
Remember what happened when he found FOM more interesting than his own Motor Racing Developments?
Old 11 Jan 2010, 13:06 (Ref:2611591)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
There's a bigger picture to this (isn't there always when he's involved...)

It's not just a car manufacturer they're after but a platform to promote new automotive linked web technology which another business to do with Genii or Mangrove is developing.

Badging the Enstone F1 operation as Saab may be a way for them market this stuff globally and may not cost them in sponsorship if they already own the businesses involved!
Old 11 Jan 2010, 14:46 (Ref:2611668)   #15
d.rocky
Racer

England
Lola country.
d.rocky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
guess the boys at renault wont be too pleased about what might happen in the future...
saab f1? not something id want to see, just a bit too dull?
Old 11 Jan 2010, 14:56 (Ref:2611672)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I wonder if the F1 cars will go around the track with those little 'running lights' on them? Or maybe they'll have the rear light flashing all the time?
Old 11 Jan 2010, 14:58 (Ref:2611673)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.rocky View Post
guess the boys at renault wont be too pleased about what might happen in the future...
saab f1? not something id want to see, just a bit too dull?
If commodities, cars etc are considered dull then entering a big time high tech marketing vehicle like F1 is a particularly good way for them to change that perception.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 01:17 (Ref:2612007)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I wonder if the F1 cars will go around the track with those little 'running lights' on them? Or maybe they'll have the rear light flashing all the time?
or going back to their aviation roots, put the rear wing on the front and vice versa.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 17:03 (Ref:2612269)   #19
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
or going back to their aviation roots, put the rear wing on the front and vice versa.
An excellent Aerospace reference!
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 13:58 (Ref:2612747)   #20
Parramatta_Power
Rookie

Australia
You Know, You Know...
Parramatta_Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine View Post
I had heard Spyker was going to put together a bid for Saab, seems there first offer fell short of what GM expected. They have refreshed their bid so hopefully things keep rolling for Trollhattan

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/spy...k=MW_news_stmp
Yeah, GM I think at once labeled it enough to be unconvincing... According to Wikipedia, GM have started to liquidate assets belonging to the Swedish Marque.