Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 9 Jan 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2610531)   #1
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Circuito de Sketch Up.

I have finally decided to have a go at Sketch Up - and it's not easy for a computer-illiterate amateur like me! I read the brief tutorial thread and other bits and pieces and eventually came up with something I hope you'll all enjoy laughing at. Nevertheless I wanted to post my poor effort to show that even fools like me can do something! Sort of.

The lap starts with the long run down to the right-hander at T1, quite a quick corner under racing conditions. Another straight down towards 2/3, leading into the horseshoe at 4. 5 is a hairpin right. 6 and 7 are both tight in a right-then-left sequence, before the cars dart through the Purple Tunnel. They blitz through the 8/9 chicane before the final hairpin at 10, bearing right and onto the home straight. The pits building is decorated in orange and there is a lake in the middle of the track.

As you can see I have mastered the most basic controls but haven't managed to work out how to draw straight lines which can then be used as part of an "overall" shape (ie the track outline) rather than as separate items. This is why the start/finish straight is so kinky (no jokes please ).

The blot shape didn't turn out to be as dire as I expected but this is a training exercise so that I can have a go. Any comments - helpful or otherwise? Haha.

Chiefy.
Old 9 Jan 2010, 17:23 (Ref:2610571)   #2
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've posted more stuff in the SketchUp advice thread for you.

As for the blot chape, it looks like a solid circuit.

I hope you have success with your designs in the future.

Rgards

Tathrim
Old 9 Jan 2010, 19:18 (Ref:2610640)   #3
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good first try, with your knowledge you should be cranking out some good tracks now.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 21:31 (Ref:2611232)   #4
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This track is a really good design, with a nice flow of corners, good corner shapes and a pretty blot shape. Unfortunately, it does indeed suffer from having being the vehicle of trying out a new software. Please update the design of this track as you go on learning the software. Thank you. This circuit is really worth coming back to with increased CAD skills.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 22:48 (Ref:2611273)   #5
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, the more I look at it the more I like it. But that is an unintentional outcome! I really was just messing about. I will read the "How To" thread and have another go at using this Sketch Up device in due course!

Cheers all.