Old 7 Apr 2010, 12:12 (Ref:2668199)   #1
Scoundrel
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Scoundrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Marshal Posts at Silverstone

Hi,

Does anyone know the positions for the new Marshal posts at Silverstone. I will be there this weekend for BRSCC meeting. A picture would be nice

Thanks
Old 7 Apr 2010, 12:21 (Ref:2668206)   #2
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For this weekend it's the National Circuit, so same as the old posts.

MSVR F2 next weekend is running on the "Bridge GP" circuit, as did Superleague last weekend, so those are all the same as well.

First use of the Arena GP circuit will be for the FIA GT meeting on the first weekend in May. I know there's been some circuit/MSA discussion about new posts on that, but nothing's fixed just yet so far as I'm aware.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 17:01 (Ref:2668343)   #3
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
For this weekend it's the National Circuit, so same as the old posts.
I thought the Priory flag point had been demolished...or has something now been rebuilt in the same place...?
Old 7 Apr 2010, 17:50 (Ref:2668370)   #4
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
woodcote gap and ped bridge are much further back than previously - ideal flag points for drivers hammering down the straight with their heads turned sharply to the left.

I suspect that the slightly more open feel to the circuit does have some impact on where the drivers look for flags (and corners!), but the National is pretty much the same old black stuff.

If there is a chance to look at the new Arena area, you'll see that there is a slight banking to the track - posts there will surely evolve as different incidents arise during FIA GT and others. The circuit team have been keen to get feedback from all of the posts to date, and have been reacting to feedback already, so I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion throughout.

Hopefully, the posts will be positioned to allow plenty of what we do best - keeping racing going by clearing incidents instead of needing SC or stops
Old 7 Apr 2010, 19:05 (Ref:2668410)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Despite distance from the track I've always found most of the flag points around Silverstone are pretty good for getting the driver's attention so I hope that remains the same. Whoever placed the originals appeared to know what he was doing, let's hope he's still around.

The design of the actual posts, though, is hopeless. Difficult to stand flags up especially on a windy day, no cover or anywhere to put your programme/entry list/running order. For FIA meetings I usually turn the hazard board flat and weight the programme down with a couple of stones! If new ones are being built, get a flag marshal to help with the design. It needn't cost any more. (Or buy the surplus ones from Donington!)
Old 7 Apr 2010, 20:35 (Ref:2668465)   #6
Firefox
Rookie

England
kilton meynes
Firefox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Priory flag point has been replaced but in much the same position. When I was last there on 28 March the Observer's box and telephone has still to be replaced but the whole project is still very much work in progress and probably will be right upto MotoGP, so what we see from weekend to weekend will no doubt change.