Old 12 Apr 2010, 21:04 (Ref:2671649)   #1
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sealing a hole in the firewall for a throttle cable

Hi all,

I've been pondering over how to this ever so often over the last few months while I pressed on with other jobs on my car. Now I need to get it done though so I thought I'd ask what everybody has done on here to seal the hole their throttle cable passes through in the firewall.

Here's a picture as it is right now:

As you can see I've pushed a gromet into the hole for now but it's such a thin panel it's not a real solution. Those two holes below the throttle cable are for brake and clutch reservoirs, and are providing me with the exact same problem.

Any input and photographs would be appreciated!
Old 13 Apr 2010, 06:39 (Ref:2671799)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
a nice blob of black silicone mastic?
Old 13 Apr 2010, 07:18 (Ref:2671815)   #3
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Back in the day we used to use a non-setting, but sticky putty called Dum-Dum for this. (Way before silicone sealer Al!).
Old 13 Apr 2010, 07:47 (Ref:2671824)   #4
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
If you want a simple mechanical solution, use a cable gland. Its a hard plastic panel seal for getting wires in and out of a control box but keeping it waterproof. They usually have a hex section and a threaded section which pushes through the panel and is held by a back nut. There is then a rubber seal ring and a threaded section which slides over the cable and screws into the gland. They come in various sizes and only need a hole a little bigger than the cable. You should be able to get some from any electrical wholesaler or possibly even B&Q
Old 13 Apr 2010, 08:27 (Ref:2671837)   #5
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Back in the day we used to use a non-setting, but sticky putty called Dum-Dum for this. (Way before silicone sealer Al!).
Eldro Dum Dum (no hyphen) still made, available on the 'bay (of course)
Old 13 Apr 2010, 08:38 (Ref:2671841)   #6
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
This sort of thing. I believe you can get metal ones as well.

http://www.adaptaflex.com/types.asp?ID=147
Old 13 Apr 2010, 09:55 (Ref:2671886)   #7
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
If you want a simple mechanical solution, use a cable gland. Its a hard plastic panel seal for getting wires in and out of a control box but keeping it waterproof. They usually have a hex section and a threaded section which pushes through the panel and is held by a back nut. There is then a rubber seal ring and a threaded section which slides over the cable and screws into the gland. They come in various sizes and only need a hole a little bigger than the cable. You should be able to get some from any electrical wholesaler or possibly even B&Q
Great, that's just about exactly what I had in mind to make up so that's backed up what I was going to do. I will have to fab one either way because the throttle cable OD is ~8mm and those glands seem to be ID 10mm at smallest.

Regarding the putty/silicone solutions - I'm not a fan to be honest. I can see it will do the job but I much prefer mechanical solutions.

Now, time to start my next thread...
Old 13 Apr 2010, 21:45 (Ref:2672330)   #8
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
That was just the first example I thought of. A quick google for "miniature cable gland" brought up this as the first listing: http://www.pro-term.com who's larger range are for cable sizes 6 - 9 mm dia. Or here's some nice brass ones in similar sizes: http://www.mossexpress.co.uk/mss/mss...T-82KKL2-51883 , I'm sure there are lots more. Why make something when you can buy it ready made :-))
Old 14 Apr 2010, 11:59 (Ref:2672600)   #9
Dom
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
Dom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont see what the problem is with a rubber grommet? never seen one fail - even on 20yr old cars, so why re-invent the wheel?
Old 16 Apr 2010, 19:52 (Ref:2673856)   #10
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Got some (free) cable glands on order, thanks for the pointer.

I tried a grommet but the panel is so thin it just didn't want to stay in place.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 21:49 (Ref:2673912)   #11
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
square of fibre board drill hole right size in centre, cut in half through hole and fix each half with 2 screws . job done .
Old 18 May 2010, 09:42 (Ref:2693148)   #12
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
RPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good question was asked earlier;
Why do you need to perfectly seal the bulkhead? If a grommet is a bit loose due to how thin the pannel is, find a washer with the same ID as your hole and use it to pack the grommet.
By making a more perminant seal you may be leading yourself for a fall in two ways-
Teams never make a tight seal as belive it or not the massive vibration and chaifing this can cause has been shown to lead to cable failure in the past. Secondly if you need to change any of those cables/hoses in a hurry you will find yourself cursing at the task of getting them in quickly!

Not kocking it, as i know it feels/looks good to have everything 'perfect', just think about if its needed.
Old 19 May 2010, 18:19 (Ref:2694223)   #13
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Good points RPD, but I can also see the case for a comprehensive bulkhead seal. On my own car I had a fuel hose split and spray fuel on the bulkhead. The first I knew about it was a strange damp feeling on my left ankle. Fortunately there wasn't any fire, but I quickly changed my mind about "simple rubber seals".
Old 20 May 2010, 09:47 (Ref:2694598)   #14
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
RPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For sure you need to think of the pros/cons both ways...
Look at it in your car, what situation are you in, if a 2mm gap could cause you danger in your situatuin, seal it! If not leave a bit of space.
It there room on the ends to get a few bits of heat shrink over the lines/cable? If so it could be a neat, tidy way to bulk the lines up a bit to make then snug.
Old 20 May 2010, 10:38 (Ref:2694621)   #15
watty
Rookie

New Zealand
watty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know what your rule book say's, but here in NZ firewalls front and rear must be fume and liquid proof - so no holes at all!