Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 2 May 2010, 20:06 (Ref:2683395)   #1
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Help Identifying drivers, car and circuit on a photograph

Hi all

i wonder if you can help me, i was browsing an antiques shop today and came across 4 framed photographs, 2 were 1960s f1 pictures, and the other 2 were fairly nondiscript pictures of mansell in the williams and JYS in i presume a tyrel. i bought the 2 1960s ones (£8 each in decent frames)

so i got them home and did a bit of searching as to where and when they were taken.
the first one im certain is wolfgang von trips in the ferrari sharknose and im presuming that it is at aintree during the british GP (the numbers tie up - and it appears that that is sterling following him in the wet.
that picture is here

is that correct?

its the second picture that im coming up short on.
again i presume its at a british track in the early 60's, (im guessing that it is at a different circuit/meeting as the track appears dry compared to the wet aintree race pictured above, it looks a bit like goodwood!) the driver looks kind of like john surtees (and the car looks a bit like a lola mk4a) however i cant find any events where surtees ran as number 21 (ive browsed through the results of a fair few non championship events) any help folks would be appreciated!
this is the picture

a larger version is here: http://www.whitewashimages.co.uk/jun...s/IMG_0807.JPG

also help identifying the other car and driver he appears to be tangling with would be nice.

you have to admit they are nice captures, i wonder who took them, theres no names on the back of the pictures or anything!
Old 2 May 2010, 20:43 (Ref:2683415)   #2
GolddustMini
Veteran

our latest thinking is that it is John Surtees in the Lola-climax mk4 at the 1962 Lavant Cup race at Goodwood

in that race Surtees ran as number 21 and retired after an accident on lap 4.
We also believe that at the time he was leading the race before being punted out at the chicane by Gunther Seiffert... all seems to tie in doesnt it!
Old 2 May 2010, 21:59 (Ref:2683461)   #3
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's definitely getting 'punted'
Old 20 May 2010, 17:10 (Ref:2694875)   #4
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
neat find, not shabby shots either, not by a long shot.

Interesting bit of detective work there too, must have been fun going through stuff to find the race details. Does look like Surtees face shape doesnt it?

I do like the first one, neat too being a Sharknose. What year was he killed again? 60, 61, 62?
Old 27 May 2010, 19:56 (Ref:2699506)   #5
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
I agree with the second picture being taken at Goodwood, at the chicane.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 19:38 (Ref:2708582)   #6
GolddustMini
Veteran

it was actually good fun investigating. took ages but was interesting to read.

the next step in the story is i sent my gran back to the dealers to buy the other 2 (the mansell and the JYS) for me, they now line my stair case! need to investigate the other 2 pictures at some point!
Old 10 Jun 2010, 19:39 (Ref:2708585)   #7
GolddustMini
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
neat find, not shabby shots either, not by a long shot.

Interesting bit of detective work there too, must have been fun going through stuff to find the race details. Does look like Surtees face shape doesnt it?

I do like the first one, neat too being a Sharknose. What year was he killed again? 60, 61, 62?
von trips was killed in '61 italian GP IIRC!
Old 11 Jun 2010, 02:36 (Ref:2708850)   #8
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
tks, after a while I did do a google search as I couldnt remember the year.
For me, I like the shot but also as none of the sharknoses were kept, that makes it interesting.