Old 30 Jul 2010, 11:38 (Ref:2735737)   #1
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
World Series by Renault - Silverstone 18-19 Sep

Hmmm - time to make a decision .....

Just had the BARC email appealing for WSR volunteers, which pointed out the clash with Goodwood Revival & Donington BTTC! My notes also show MSVR @ Brands on the GP circuit, plus BRSCC @ Mallory on the Sunday.

Clearly, there is going to be a real scrap to get enough marshals to spread across all these events - some likely to have way more support than others! Based on previous years, I suspect WSR at Silverstone will be bottom of most marshal's preferences?

Looking at the timetable here
http://www.worldseriesbyrenault.fr/e...Programme.aspx
it seems that the short lunch break will have F1 high speed laps running through it. Also only 10 mins between sessions on the GP circuit simply cannot be achieved, even if there are no recoveries / sweeping to be done. That means that the timetable will either over-run or lunch will vanish. Previous years have had high speed passenger laps (Renault commercial PR, not racing) added onto the program - not clear whether these have been dropped this year, or are just being kept secret?

Given that previous years have suffered from yobbo crowds - throwing stones onto the track and intruding into closed areas (including Obs huts & marshals' kit), there needs to be a serious increase in paid security staff (and police?) over last year.

Well - back to decision time! Do I avoid this event as so many others will, or is there a degree of loyalty needed to help the few good folk who are going to grin & bear it? For sure, novice / first timers will be desperately welcomed, and bound to be kept busy! I can't remember what efforts Renault go to in thanking marshals - hopefully a generous breakfast voucher, post event drink voucher, hat & shirt as well as a few "prize draw" specials of Renault drive days or similar ---- dream on!!

So ...... is anybody going this year, or will "marshal power" veto the event
Old 30 Jul 2010, 11:59 (Ref:2735740)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps a reply to the e-mail expressing your concerns about the meeting on the basis of past experience and asking for assurances might ring a few alarm bells...

I always hate the thought of the marshals who go being made to suffer, or an announcement the the meeting is cancelled because of 'lack of marshals' gives the impression that it's our fault, but some high profile struggles where marshals welfare has not been given proper consideration wouldn't go amiss.

As for loyalty, it's not as if the problems haven't been expressed in a form that they must be aware of. I long ago learned with Donington's dismal scheduling that loyalty works in both directions and that if they're not going to consider me when creating a timetable I was quite at liberty to return the compliment.

Apart from 'how dumb is it to schedule 3 significant meetings in the lower half of the country on the same week-end' question. a quick check shows there are were also meetings scheduled for Shelsley (where I'll be), Int GT Open at Brands, Harewood, 750MC at Snetterton and on the Sunday, BRSCC at Mallory. Apart from Harewood, all are potentially within Silverstone's catchment area.

Last edited by Woolley; 30 Jul 2010 at 12:06.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 14:00 (Ref:2735795)   #3
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me and Fay are at Silverstone for World Series Renault, we have not managed to do this meeting at Silverstone before. We will attend with an open mind and make our own decision after.

We did this meeting for a couple of years at Donington & stopped attending on the Sunday due to poor traffic management, we also passed our comments to both BARC & Donington.

Personally I have enjoyed the WSR meetings I have attended but as people say spectators can be a problem, at Donington we had spectators drunk at 09.30 in the morning & crossing the circuit between green flag lap & race start.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 14:22 (Ref:2735802)   #4
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've always enjoyed this meeting but I have been at posts which aren't bothered by spectators (Brooklands &, to a lesser degree,Hangar Straight). However, this year I have volunteered for Goodwood for the first time so unless I get the 'thanks but no thanks' email, my decision has been made!
Old 30 Jul 2010, 14:27 (Ref:2735806)   #5
PULSERACING
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxford
PULSERACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was actually my first event as a marshal last year and it hooked me so i will be a definate attendee. There is a few issues such as the huge crowd which dwarfs even the GP and in that crowd you do get some unruly lunatics ,and also the evecuation at the end of the weekend which took me two hours to battle my way through, but i think if you want to see some top class drivers in some fine machinery then this will suit you. It cant be much worse than the classic in that the punters seemed to be getting everywhere they shiouldnt have been , the camp site was a s**t fight with tents in any avaliable space ,and two long days ,but it was still great to be a part of. Im sure we will have a great time!!
Old 30 Jul 2010, 14:35 (Ref:2735810)   #6
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elaine and I are @ Thoresby Hall for a 2 day sprint. Nice cars in the grounds of a Stately Home no competition from anywhere else
Old 30 Jul 2010, 15:01 (Ref:2735828)   #7
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do this one every year,
last year spent the weekend in the pits as Chief Flags Assistant.
always a good weekend of racing
Old 30 Jul 2010, 16:15 (Ref:2735873)   #8
NICK ALLISON
Racer

England
london
NICK ALLISON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year I reluctantly gave up the Goodwood Festival (favourite event )to help out as there was a shortage of marshals.
What a cracking meeting !
Some very quick cars ,exciting racing from many of them ,compulsary pit stops ,every one mucked in including stewards ,scrutineers,race admin,and even the Pits walk about was civilized .
I am sure the BARC could do with your support especially Pits and Start.It could be a good practice run for those who did not attend the British Grand Prix but could be asked by the club to be involved in the Abu Dhabi GP.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 22:25 (Ref:2736111)   #9
Wet marshal
Racer

England
TETBURY
Wet marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WSR SILVERSTONE.

I Supose this meeting is like "MARMITE" Love it or Hate it, but I will be there for the 3rd year running.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 23:24 (Ref:2736128)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
just an observational point from a world series by renault regular all over europe, but try comparing the silverstone timetable to that of other events in the world series by renault calendar. they also get constant renaultsport demonstrations on circuit which don't seem to be mentioned on the silverstone timetable.

the yobbo behaviour is isolated to silverstone. i've been to all events so far this season and i haven't seen anything like the kind of nonsense the british public get up to. there's barely any spectator marshals there either. so it's something silverstone as a circuit need to tackle, not the organisation. the fans at hungary for example are amongst the most enthusiastic you'll ever find (their support for tamas pal kiss the other weekend was INCREDIBLE), but they're also the most respectful and considerate spectators.

the racing is excellent and the formula renault 3.5 and megane trophy cars make brilliant noises. it's worth doing as an event but i can see why with the spectator troubles you might want to avoid it.

(edit: that said, 10 minutes between sessions is a bit optimistic - usually it's 15...)

Last edited by bella; 30 Jul 2010 at 23:33.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 10:44 (Ref:2736271)   #11
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm going to Silverstone for the three days of the WSR. As Alan says, I'll go with an open mind and see what happens. My logic was that I did a day at the BTCC at Oulton, and I'm doing a day at the Silverstone BTCC too - so Donington, although I'd love to do it (and is only 15 mins from where I live!) would probably survive without me.

I'm a bit dismayed to read about the problems with spectators, though. I'll have to wait and see I guess.

I've been to the WSR at Donington as a speccy and very definitely didn't see any misbehaviour, apart from two other speccies running away with the arse end (diffuser/splitter/crash assembly) of a Megane which had been put into a spectator area when it fell off a car during a race! The fact that the two blokes had a Mini may have made getting it home somewhat challenging
Old 31 Jul 2010, 18:23 (Ref:2736585)   #12
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strange,
wifey got E mail, i didn't, but we are both down to do it
Old 31 Jul 2010, 20:26 (Ref:2736677)   #13
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the only meeting where RC encouraged me to put in a P/C written report with names about two spectator marshals who spent more time chatting to friends and family than keeping speccies out of danger areas. The marshals on post were having to act as speccy marshals just to try to keep things semi safe. Very dubious whether I'd want to do WSR at Sillystones again. Not BARC's problems, it was pure and simple down to Silverstone who didn't have enough resources or didn't care as they knew marshals would step in.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 20:51 (Ref:2736691)   #14
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
Seem to remember something mentioned last year or the year before that WSR dictate how many security that they pay for (same at every WSR event) and expect Silverstone to bankroll any more than that minimum amount.

I agree about the commitment standards from some of the security team, but they don't seem to get much supervision. To be fair, some of the scumbags need dog handlers and tasers to deal with them - not smart yellow jackets. btw whoever signed a contract with a security firm that uses flag colours for their uniform?
Old 31 Jul 2010, 23:10 (Ref:2736786)   #15
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
this will be our 5th wsr meeting.
we know the wsr is purely a PR thing
we know that the finances are set to minimum
that is why i only deal with anything that comes trackside.
anything else i let RC know to inform security
Old 1 Aug 2010, 22:00 (Ref:2737786)   #16
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've done this meeting in the pit lane & start line for the last 2 years. Good meeting, even enjoyed the bemused expressions on the faces of some of the french spanners when I told them to stop smoking next to the open cannisters of fuel

Hoping to do the revival for the first time this year however, but WSR, and BTCC makes it 3 events I'd really like to do on the same weekend :\
Old 4 Aug 2010, 09:51 (Ref:2739275)   #17
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I'm going to Silverstone for the three days of the WSR.
Best laid plans... can't do this now (need to be home on the Sat night) so I will now be at Donington that weekend instead.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2739450)   #18
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
Quote:
I'm going to Silverstone for the three days of the WSR.
Just one thing, last year BARC put this down as a 3 day meeting, but in the end it was 2 days sat/sun.
last year the Fri was a test day that was covered by Silverstone personnel.
even the WSR web site has got this down for a 2 day meeting, no point wasting holidays if no need to
Old 4 Aug 2010, 18:47 (Ref:2739492)   #19
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel View Post
even the WSR web site has got this down for a 2 day meeting, no point wasting holidays if no need to
Heh - I wont be wasting a day now, because I'm not going... I suppose others might be though. Which raises a question: if it's a two day meeting, why is it down as three days on the BARC marshal dates list?

PS Chris Logan is on holiday right now, so if someone can answer that without reference to Chris they'll get bonus beer points
Old 4 Aug 2010, 20:40 (Ref:2739535)   #20
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
Quote:
Heh - I wont be wasting a day now, because I'm not going... I suppose others might be though. Which raises a question: if it's a two day meeting, why is it down as three days on the BARC marshal dates list?

PS Chris Logan is on holiday right now, so if someone can answer that without reference to Chris they'll get bonus beer points
what you'll prob find is put it out for 3 days and nearer the time Silverstone will let BARC know if they need help on the test day, s'pose it's better to professionally cover it for now.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 21:38 (Ref:2739571)   #21
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel View Post
what you'll prob find is put it out for 3 days and nearer the time Silverstone will let BARC know if they need help on the test day, s'pose it's better to professionally cover it for now.
Last 2 years, it's been 3 days, but marshals were only required for Sat/Sun.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 21:43 (Ref:2739573)   #22
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
Suspect it depends on the licence? At it's simplest, Race meetings will be a mix of practice / qualifying & race and covered by the meeting licence. Test days will usually be run under the circuit licence and therefore covered by their own organisation.

The odd one out each year is the 3 day MG meeting, where traditionally we marshal the Friday (test day) in assembly & pits whilst the circuit staff handle all else. Never quite sure what the licence / insurance issues would be if somebody crashed badly in the pits or pit straight - we probably ought to be treated as superfluous and site staff would ask us to back off, maybe after we'd deployed initial fire bottles or whatever?

So, for WSR, maybe BARC aren't told what licence has been applied for when the date is first booked?
Old 9 Aug 2010, 08:39 (Ref:2741759)   #23
yellowspanner
Racer

Wales
Dorset
yellowspanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to this meeting - will be first bit of marshalling since Easter. Should have been at Thruxton this weekend as my wife has now recovered but managed to do my back in at work so I'm out for a fortnight at least. That stops BTCC at Silverstone as well. WSR is the next meet I'm available for. Hope they make their mind up re the Friday soon as it's the difference between leaving straight after a training course on the Thursday or a nice pootle up on Friday afternoon!!
Old 29 Aug 2010, 00:47 (Ref:2751600)   #24
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
WSR is now showing this as a 2 day meeting
Old 29 Aug 2010, 22:15 (Ref:2752046)   #25
boggy uk
Rookie

United Kingdom
Eastleigh
boggy uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hello this is my first wsr and am looking foward to it as its my first mashel of silverstone evere and the new track lay out