Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jul 2001, 04:04 (Ref:123618)   #1
Handle
Rookie

Handle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Done, Jacques!

I am surprised at how little I have seen regarding Jacques Villeneuve's second podium position for BAR, and his second this season.

Am I the only one who finds it impressive that Villeneuve, in a very poor car (I would estimate it at around 6th best), can get two podium positions in one season? It speaks to his constant efforts through what has been a very trying season.

I was also quite amused by his letting Panis through (very sportsmanlike) to attack Trulli, and the result being that they both flew by the Jordan. Probably the best example of true, proper teamwork I've seen all season.

Well done Jacques. He certainly deserved his podium position today after a superb and calculated drive.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 04:50 (Ref:123620)   #2
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Well Done, Jacques!

Quote:
Originally posted by Handle
I am surprised at how little I have seen regarding Jacques Villeneuve's second podium position for BAR, and his second this season.

This was probably due to the huge attrition rate, perhaps the media feels his place wasn't earned. But hey, you have to put yourself in the right position to be able to benefit.

I thought it was an excellent performance for Jacques, wrong strategy for Olivier.

It's too bad that Honda might be taking a step back, by developing a brand new motor. Jacques is in for a rough 2002. He really deserves better, IMHO.

Old 30 Jul 2001, 06:10 (Ref:123625)   #3
Farc
Rookie

Farc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YES Well Done Jacques

YES Well Done Jacques
Old 30 Jul 2001, 06:22 (Ref:123629)   #4
GanjaGrizz
Racer

GanjaGrizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
another podium

He just signed with Bar and now gets another 3rd place finish, good job. BAR 2 points ahead of Jordan also, thank you Eddie Jordan you made it much easier....
Old 30 Jul 2001, 07:17 (Ref:123641)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good race from the French-Canadian, although he was not on the pace of the front 4 teams, he kept his head while others around him fell by the wayside, and he benefitted with a podium. They say in F1 you make your own luck, and that is the result.

But Honda must be thinking what are they in for. Jordan appear to be on a downward spiral, while the BAR this year, although scoring points occassionally, has not been quick often at all this year. I bet there is serious headscratching going on in Japan.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 07:56 (Ref:123654)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The irony is that by having cars that are down on power compared with the Mercedes and BMW, the engines lasted the course of the race. In fairness neither the BAR's nor the Benettons deserved to finish where they did. However, you have to take the luck as it's thrown at you so well done Jaques, Olivier, Giancarlo and Jenson.

Stephen.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 08:35 (Ref:123670)   #7
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, as much as I like JVill..., takes something away from the win when you consider those who DNF. All the same, great to see him get points as it is good for the team as a whole. And to knock Jordan ( the new bad guys of F1) back a place in the constructors...
Old 30 Jul 2001, 12:56 (Ref:123776)   #8
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely a very good result for Jacques and the team. It's one up the nose for those who are saying that he is being beaten by Panis as well (proves that he's not when all things are working). And I'm definitely not sorry to see the Jordans performing so awfully this weekend either. Serves them right for sacking H-H.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 14:45 (Ref:123814)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
It looks like Jean Alesi is Jordan bound if the tabloids are to be believed. They are also reporting Prost Grand Prix in financial dire straits and so Alesi wants to jump ship.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 16:42 (Ref:123849)   #10
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a good race for him. I am sure he is not so proud of how he got there but I am sure he is happy that luck turned his way this time.

Well done Jacques.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 19:01 (Ref:123936)   #11
Orange
Racer

Orange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I for one am completely over the moon!!!

ALLEZ VILLENUVE!!!
Old 30 Jul 2001, 19:14 (Ref:123946)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was not all luck... the BARs survived! When so many other cars failed. An engine requires a lot more than luck to survive a gruelling race, such as Hockenheim. That is why I feel BAR and JV fully deserve this podium position. Their car may not have been as fast as the 10 or so that started infront of him, but it was more reliable than most...and that counts for something.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 20:53 (Ref:124005)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
It was not all luck... the BARs survived! When so many other cars failed. An engine requires a lot more than luck to survive a gruelling race, such as Hockenheim. That is why I feel BAR and JV fully deserve this podium position. Their car may not have been as fast as the 10 or so that started infront of him, but it was more reliable than most...and that counts for something.
You were one step ahead of me...

Ditto.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 21:24 (Ref:124015)   #14
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, how many teams had two cars finnish? Let alone in the points?

Hang on there was Bennetton as well. Go Fisi and Button!

As for Honda reliability, don't talk to Trulli about it.
Old 31 Jul 2001, 01:30 (Ref:124102)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
Yes, how many teams had two cars finnish? Let alone in the points?

Hang on there was Bennetton as well. Go Fisi and Button!

As for Honda reliability, don't talk to Trulli about it.
Business as usual.
Old 31 Jul 2001, 01:41 (Ref:124107)   #16
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking about reliability you know who was in the rankings all season...Jeannot...how comes that his teammates that seldom finish a race and he always?...lol...not that I would have anything against it...

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/jeanalesifreaks
Old 31 Jul 2001, 05:42 (Ref:124140)   #17
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeanburrasca81
Talking about reliability you know who was in the rankings all season...Jeannot...how comes that his teammates that seldom finish a race and he always?
His current teammate:
Burti, 8 starts in a Prost, 4 finishes.
Alesi had only 2 finishes in his first 8 races in a Prost.

His previous teammate:
Mazzacane, 4 starts in a Prost, 1 finish.
Alesi also had 1 finish in his first 4 races in a Prost.

Last year's teammate:
Heidfeld, 17 starts in a Prost, 6 finishes.
Alesi had only 5 finishes in his first 17 races in a Prost.

So it looks like Jean finishes more races than his teammates only because he has got more experience in the Prost.
Old 31 Jul 2001, 08:19 (Ref:124199)   #18
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with what Jay and Bononi says. It's definitely not just luck when your engine survives a race such as this. They thoroughly deserved the podium finish, both Jacques and the team.
Old 31 Jul 2001, 16:47 (Ref:124404)   #19
GanjaGrizz
Racer

GanjaGrizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Well , Honda might have the worst chassis in Reynard but the motor is not that bad. It did finish the race after all, what can we say about the other Honda engines, well Zonta just plain screwed up his chance to drive for Jordan next year, and Trulli well we know hes good in Qualifs but when raceday comes he kind of gets braincraps and always finds a way to loose it, like he did infront of Jacques Sunday....

The Honda engine is good but needs abit more power but that will come next year , I hope!!
When will the first win for BAR come???, hell I wish I knew the answer to that...
Old 31 Jul 2001, 22:32 (Ref:124503)   #20
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Don K
His current teammate:
Burti, 8 starts in a Prost, 4 finishes.
Alesi had only 2 finishes in his first 8 races in a Prost.

His previous teammate:
Mazzacane, 4 starts in a Prost, 1 finish.
Alesi also had 1 finish in his first 4 races in a Prost.

Last year's teammate:
Heidfeld, 17 starts in a Prost, 6 finishes.
Alesi had only 5 finishes in his first 17 races in a Prost.

So it looks like Jean finishes more races than his teammates only because he has got more experience in the Prost.
Look, I know the stats well enough ny myself. But that is not what I meant with what I said. I just meant that Alesi's reliability is great but didn't want to say that his teammates are bad because they dont finish that many races. I wanted to say that it's kinda funny to see Alesi finish all the races and the teammates always get the problems.
To finish a race has not that much to do with knowing the Prost well, that has no influence on blown-up engines or other troubles his teammates have. It only influences the performance.
In the end what I meant is that Alesi is a driver to count on because he doesnt make many mistakes and finishes many races, this season every race minus one on the Nürburgring. But there as you know he spinned around too late to fall out of the graduatory. Besides this case where he was spinning around Alesi makes less mistakes than most other drivers. Experience and skills together make it that way.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/jeanalesifreaks